Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

From the article which describes his gun collection -Ā Pratt believes in firearm regulation, background checks, and preventing guns from falling into the hands of the mentally ill. He explains population control and hunting licenses and tags and the virtues of eating what you kill.Ā He's a hunter, that's a value you can agree with or disagree with but he's on the side of control and licensing, the tag 'gun lover' carried many connotations which he isn't guilty of.

The anti-LGBTQ stuff with his church has only to my knowledge stemmed from Ellen Page and anecdotal twitter comments from people who were part of their parent church Hillsong,Ā Pratt has denied any knowledge of this and said his experience with them does not reflect that,Ā also affirmed that his own beliefs are definitely not that way aligned. There's also been nothing further said, and again without concrete evidence it's just a he-said/she-said which people will pick the sides of depending on their own views.

In no way do I disagree that you can like someone's output despite your opinion of the them, I just think you seem to be prone to influence from biased fluff media of which there is much.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

sorry, itā€™s 3am, my Autistic kid has woken up as if it was 8am and Ive been awake almost 24 hours at this point so I think Iā€™ve made sense

My autistic daughter woke up three times last night and decided to just start screaming for some reason. I tend not to use her as a play for sympathy and to excuse being a git though.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My autistic daughter woke up three times last night and decided to just start screaming for some reason. I tend not to use her as a play for sympathy and to excuse being a git though.

It was an explanation as to why I was writing a reply at that time and waffling on and hoping to make sense of being sleep deprived. However one thing you are right to call me out on is mentioning the Autism. I had not thought of it as a sympathetic ploy, nor was trying to get any sympathy. But it didnā€™t need to be mentioned as it made no difference to my reply. So Iā€™m sorry for that.

• Awards Moderator

Superhero films exist, which is fine I suppose. But do they have to take suck up every screen at both my locals on a Saturday? I had a Saturday afternoon and evening free, and hoped to watch Fighting With My Family. Not a chance to squeeze it in among 18 screenings across 12 screens of Captain Marvel.Ā 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds.Ā 

• Paid Members

Preach. My favourite cinema only has three screens and the big, good one is just all Captain Marvel, at the minute. One of their screens is abysmal, so it's essentially 2 rooms. Annoying because there are a lot of good films about, at the minute, and at this particular cinema you'll get one showing in one of the lesser rooms.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Superhero films exist, which is fine I suppose. But do they have to take suck up every screen at both my locals on a Saturday? I had a Saturday afternoon and evening free, and hoped to watch Fighting With My Family. Not a chance to squeeze it in among 18 screenings across 12 screens of Captain Marvel.Ā 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds.Ā 

This time of year you have to be quick out the blocks to see films because itā€™s the start of blockbuster season. I was tempted to see Cold Persuit but that lasted no time before Alita and Captain Marvel took up most of the screens. 2 weeks and change we get Shazam and then shortly after Avengers. So anything that comes out soon is not going to have many screens

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This time of year you have to be quick out the blocks to see films because itā€™s the start of blockbuster season. I was tempted to see Cold Persuit but that lasted no time before Alita and Captain Marvel took up most of the screens. 2 weeks and change we get Shazam and then shortly after Avengers. So anything that comes out soon is not going to have many screens

So I just fucking pirate them then. Bravo if you can make it on release weekend but that's so unrealistic. I really wanted to see The Favourite too, but that lasted about 7 minutes in our multiplex of doom. I can't wait for universal day-in-date releases. We're nearly there.Ā 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So I just fucking pirate them then. Bravo if you can make it on release weekend but that's so unrealistic. I really wanted to see The Favourite too, but that lasted about 7 minutes in our multiplex of doom. I can't wait for universal day-in-date releases. We're nearly there.Ā 

Oh I completely agree. It seems stupid especially as so many screenings in a row just means that you may get 4 screenings of a movie that are half to a quarter full rather then 2 busy ones. Itā€™s stupid. If your talking about my local, they have those stupid studio screen which are tiny. They could even keep those exclusively for more arty releases but they often use those for blockbusters as well.Ā 

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If your talking about my local, they have those stupid studio screen which are tiny. They could even keep those exclusively for more arty releases but they often use those for blockbusters as well.Ā 

See I love those studio screens. Like sitting in someone's front room. And they are perfect for non-blockbusters.Ā 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

See I love those studio screens. Like sitting in someone's front room. And they are perfect for non-blockbusters.Ā 

I donā€™t like that they cost the same amount as the big screens, but there is something fun about them. I saw Mindhorn in one which was ideal. Mission Impossible Fallout was not

Captain Marvel was OK. It had a fun second half. Essentially it needed more Jude Law, who seems to be entering into a nice second phase where he's all about chewing that scenery.

Brie Larsson was...fine. Its a bit blank, but that's sort of the point for most of it. I just...didn't care all that much about her. Hopefully she'll grow into that role. Off screen, she certainly needs to get her thinking straight if she's to make statements about equality in film. She could have said what she wanted to say in one sentence rather than that odd press conference.

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

Off screen, she certainly needs to get her thinking straight if she's to make statements about equality in film. She could have said what she wanted to say in one sentence rather than that odd press conference.

I don't think she could have said all she wanted to make a point about in one sentence. She's clearly committed to making this more than just being about a female superhero. She's doing exactly what so many don't - using a position of comparative privilege to speak about subjects in a mainstream forum.

Perhaps my use of the word sentence was too basic. I just thought what she was trying to say should have been clearer. It could have been better put, and has been by others. I have no problem with her using her position to promote positive causes, the more the better, I just felt how she presented her view was muddled. Of course the clickbait sites took it out of context, but her points seemed to be a bit all over the place in the first place.

I suppose the positive is it at least caused a discussion that many were not having at all.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Perhaps my use of the word sentence was too basic. I just thought what she was trying to say should have been clearer. It could have been better put, and has been by others. I have no problem with her using her position to promote positive causes, the more the better, I just felt how she presented her view was muddled.

How do you mean? Not having a go at you but I've seen this said a few times on Twitter too but nobody really clarifies what they mean by this as I thought she was perfectly eloquent and on the money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Continued from the trailers thread, where the new Joker movie is being discussed;

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How does this Joker connect to Suicide Squad? If they make that new Batman film (which is matter of when really, not if), what Joker are they going to use? This is set in the early 80's right, so same kind of time as Jack Nicholsons. But totally different character this time. I just think if this film had nothing to do with a famous comic book character, I would be more interested. I think it looks good, and it gives me a similar vibe to You Were Never Really Here. But I just don't see the appeal of this being another Comic Book film of a character with have seen portrayed so many other times. Also @Accident Prone, the casting and vibe I have no issues with. I just don't think it's a character we needed to see an origin film of. You seen the trailer for Brightburn? It is about a character similar to Superman, but is not him. Why couldn't this film have done something similar?

I mean look, @Devon Malcolm is already complaning about it being in here. YET, I guarantee he would be eager to watch this if it wasn't a DC film.

As Factum all ready pointed out, this is a separate film to their atrocious idea of a universe (a universe that only 4chan users and neckbeards want to see continue).

It's a stand alone flick that marks one interpretation of the Joker's origin story, and thus it's separate from any Batman/DC film before it.Ā I don't understand why that bothers you so much and why you can't grasp that. It's the most fickle complaint I've ever heard. Do you know how many Joker origin stories there are? Published by DC, no less? There's quite a fair few, I'm telling you that much, and each of them are interesting in their own unique take on things.