Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

On 3/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, Factotum said:

I think you'll be slightly surprised. That character ends up with a lot more layers than the trailer leads you to believe/

He does have a bit more depth than the Misfits one, but it's definitely the standard Robert Sheehan character again, though. But I enjoy that. I liked Umbrella Academy a lot. Definitely no charisma to Ellen Page there, but that might be the point. I thought she was very charismatic in Super. I don't remember her in much else, other than Hard Candy, and I shot my load about fifteen minutes into that. I didn't really. She had short hair.

I'll edit this later in case I ever get a job with Disney.

Just got back from Captain Marvel and I really enjoyed it. It does a good job of introducing Captain Marvel to the MCU and has both good action and a good story. Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson both put in strong performances, and the supporting cast are good as well. While not without its flaws, it never felt too long and is well worth watching.

• Paid Members

add me to the captain marvel love camp.

The problem with the MCU is there are so many good films. This, for me, is not in the upper regions, but it is probably my favourite origin film after GotG. I liked that it felt more like a sci-fi film rather then standard superhero. Another thing that they do well, is keeping things fresh and every film is different, something the DCU seems to repeat 

• Awards Moderator

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel, thought it had a few great hero moments that made me excited to see her fight Thanos in Endgame. My other half however... she hated it and felt really disappointed. Basically the criticisms Pitcos mentioned in the other film thread. She really wanted to like it but was just bored, sadly.

She did agree with me that the Stan Lee tribute was lovely and the legacy effects (that’s what they call them in the credits) were amazing on Samuel L Jackson, at least.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

The best thing about Captain Marvel is it's filled with scenes that will further infuriate the unfuckable white dudes that seem to have an issue with the occasional female superhero.

The film itself is a bit of an odd one. Unlike nearly every other superhero movie, the film starts to finally get good when there is all manner of CGI bashing into things. I found at least the opening 2/3 a bit of a mess pacing wise, and it left me wondering if they'd cut out a big chunk to keep the running time to a more respectable 2 hours 5.

A big reason the opening set up dragged was due to them failing to establish Captain Marvel with any kind of that Marvel charm, despite trying. Larsen tries her hardest to work some of her lines into something but it's mostly tumbleweed.

Annette Bening turning up always made me feel like we should all be above this shite. Particularly her.

The highlights:

The film instantly seems to turn into a good Marvel flick the second Cap Marvel realises she's got all manner of powers. Instantly the pacing picks up and the jokes suddenly start to land at a good pace.

The "cat" steals the show. The Fury eye jokes were decent.

B-level Marvel. I'd rate it ahead of Ant Man.

• Paid Members

Don't care if you like Marvel or not, I love how little they have shown of the film, it's out in a month and they have given us less than 3 minutes of actual footage from the film over two trailers, no big action set pieces and almost zero context to any of the shots. I honestly can't think of the last time a big blockbuster did anything close to this.