Premier League 2010/2011 Discussion

NEWM

A takeover of Liverpool appears increasingly imminent after the club alerted the Premier League to a possible change in ownership.

Under tougher new rules on club ownership announced by the Premier League in response to Portsmouth's financial meltdown, all prospective owners are obliged to give the league 10 days' notice of a takeover and prove they have the funds to sustain the club.

It is understood Liverpool and a number of parties contemplating a takeover - including Chinese businessman Kenny Huang - have already contacted the Premier League to alert them a change of ownership could be imminent.

Under the rules, the Premier League will have to be given 10 days' notice of any takeover, and the prospective owners will be required to have a face-to-face meeting with league chiefs to convince them they have enough money for the season to come.

Other rule changes will see clubs having to provide evidence every quarter that they are up to date with tax payments to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs - and they will give permission for HMRC to give details on any non-payment directly to the league.

The former 'fit and proper persons test' has been renamed as the 'owners and directors test' and toughened up. Now anyone barred from other sporting organisations or competitions will not be allowed to be a club director.

The strengthening of the regulations is an attempt to reduce the risk of another crisis similar to that suffered by Portsmouth, who went into administration last season and were subsequently relegated.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "We believe we have the measures now in place, the early warning system, that will reduce the risk of having a repeat of the Portsmouth situation.

"The objective of the Premier League is to reduce risk and try to prevent the worst happening but we can't eliminate risk entirely as that would involve us interfering as shadow directors in the running of clubs.

"There was reputational damage with the situation we had with Portsmouth.

"Clubs get tired of football being called a financial basket case.

"There was an element of gross mismanagement [with Portsmouth] and people have understood it was the exception rather than the rule."

Scudamore believes the league could have intervened in Portsmouth's finances in January 2009 rather than September if the new rules had been in force then, and stopped the club running up such debts with the taxman.

He added: "The HMRC debt would not have run up and we would have probably been able to prevent some of the worst."

Scudamore said he believed the new rules on future financial information would have prevented Ali Al Faraj from taking over Portsmouth in October last year, though not Alexandre Gaydamak from doing so in 2006.

from the times but copied from RAWK, also the board met today the rumour is theyve voted 3-2 in favour for the kenneth huang fronted bid to be accepted and that its possible within 24 hrs we could be in new hands

Thats thought to be the reason behind torres's statement today that hes not leaving......

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So still just me who thinks Everton are gonna finish 3rd then :unsure:

I actually think they'll be lucky to get 10th this season, don't know why but I feel they are now in a slow decline.

Haha really?

REALLY? :D

I would ask you why you said you don't know why! To be brutally honest i can see this season being our most important one for years. We need to achieve something this year and make it count rather than it being another "nearly" season.

The reason being that they have absolutely no money to spend and an ageing squad, bar a few young players coming through, none of which are of real quality. The likes of Cahill, Arteta, Saha, Neville etc will struggle this season in my opinion.

• Paid Members
The reason being that they have absolutely no money to spend and an ageing squad, bar a few young players coming through, none of which are of real quality.

What, even Jack Rodwell? That's ridiculous.

I actually think they'll be lucky to get 10th this season, don't know why but I feel they are now in a slow decline.

Haha really?

I would ask you why you said you don't know why! To be brutally honest i can see this season being our most important one for years. We need to achieve something this year and make it count rather than it being another "nearly" season.

The reason being that they have absolutely no money to spend and an ageing squad, bar a few young players coming through, none of which are of real quality. The likes of Cahill, Arteta, Saha, Neville etc will struggle this season in my opinion.

Yeah I'd fully agree with that, plus they have alot of sick notes in their team. To me Everton are going the way of West Ham, decent few years in the top half but slowly going back to a bottom half team (by that I mean around 10th-13th).

I also think Villa won't be in the same position as last season. I think they will be around 8th or 9th, the manager has been pretty quiet thus far and if players like Milner & Ashley Young did infact leave then it wouldn't hold them well imo.

The reason being that they have absolutely no money to spend and an ageing squad, bar a few young players coming through, none of which are of real quality.

Rodwell has looked decent so far but has looked lightweight and anonymous at times too. Hence why i said real quality.

• Paid Members

Rodwell has looked decent so far but has looked lightweight and anonymous at times too. Hence why i said real quality.

No, to me, so far, I think he's shown enough signs that he looks real quality. I wouldn't worry about the perceived anonymity, it's hard for a young player to stamp his authority on a game, but I think we'll see that from him this season. I hope United buy him sooner rather than later.

Haha really?

Yeah I'd fully agree with that, plus they have alot of sick notes in their team. To me Everton are going the way of West Ham, decent few years in the top half but slowly going back to a bottom half team (by that I mean around 10th-13th).

Thats wrong. I'd wager the average age of our squad to be around 24-25, a good mix of youth and experience. Sure some players are past there peak and heading downhil (Neville, Saha, Cahill) but still have important roles to play and aren't ready to be discarded yet. Although how often they play this year is up to Moyes they all have younger replacements who should get more game time this year..

As for sicknotes, other than serious long term injuries we had the last 2 years none of our players could be called "sicknote". Saha played 40 games for us last year by the way.

As for young players, quite what you expect from them i dont know. Rodwell is 19 and widely touted as a future England international and has a very interested admirer in SAF. At which age do youngsters become "real quality" if 19 year old Rodwell isn't? And can you show me players of the same age who are "real quality"?

Add to that Coleman, Gueye, Silva, Wallace and Baxter who have all played for their country at their respective age levels. With more highly rated youngsters coming through even younger. Thats where we spend our money these days, on youth rather than established players cause we don't have much of it.

And Moyes is probably one of the best managers around at finding bargains.

And as for Arteta struggling, thats got to be a joke. He's still only 28 you know and the lnychpin of our team.

Admittedly come Sept 1st him, Pienaar and Jagielka could all be elsewhere at which point id say 7th-8th place is realistic.

But right now with the players we have 3rd is within our range but there are 6 teams all fighting for 6 places reasonably well matched so its hard to say who is gonna finish where.

And lol at being compared to West Ham :D

Haha really?

Thats wrong. I'd wager the average age of our squad to be around 24-25, a good mix of youth and experience. Sure some players are past there peak and heading downhil (Neville, Saha, Cahill) but still have important roles to play and aren't ready to be discarded yet. Although how often they play this year is up to Moyes they all have younger replacements who should get more game time this year..

As for sicknotes, other than serious long term injuries we had the last 2 years none of our players could be called "sicknote". Saha played 40 games for us last year by the way.

As for young players, quite what you expect from them i dont know. Rodwell is 19 and widely touted as a future England international and has a very interested admirer in SAF. At which age do youngsters become "real quality" if 19 year old Rodwell isn't? And can you show me players of the same age who are "real quality"?

Add to that Coleman, Gueye, Silva, Wallace and Baxter who have all played for their country at their respective age levels. With more highly rated youngsters coming through even younger. Thats where we spend our money these days, on youth rather than established players cause we don't have much of it.

And as for Arteta struggling, thats got to be a joke. He's still only 28 you know and the lnychpin of our team.

Admittedly come Sept 1st him, Pienaar and Jagielka could all be elsewhere at which point id say 7th-8th place is realistic.

But right now with the players we have 3rd is within our range but there are 6 teams all fighting for 6 places reasonably well matched so its hard to say who is gonna finish where.

Arteta has barely featured in your team for a season and a half due ot injury so i dont know how hes your lynchpin. Its not anything personal, I just dont think youll do that well this season, I even said my team wont win the league so obviously im hoping I dont have a clue.

Haha really?

I like Everton, but third is very optimistic. I'd like to see them crack the top 4 but I don't see it as being likely - they might sneak top 6 if they keep their players fit but that's an ask given the competition in the top 7 or 8 teams this year.

that said, Jagielka, Cahill and Arteta are great players that could play for any team in the competition.

I was being slightly facetious, but this sums up Blackpool's summer thus far;

Blackpool's problematic build-up to their first season in the Premier League continued today with a failed cut-price bid for the Nottingham Forest striker Nathan Tyson.

The Tangerines were hoping to take advantage of the fact Tyson is out of contract next summer, but their undisclosed offer was rejected out of hand. Forest want around

I was being slightly facetious, but this sums up Blackpool's summer thus far;

Blackpool's problematic build-up to their first season in the Premier League continued today with a failed cut-price bid for the Nottingham Forest striker Nathan Tyson.

The Tangerines were hoping to take advantage of the fact Tyson is out of contract next summer, but their undisclosed offer was rejected out of hand. Forest want around

Everton will be just fine as long as Moyes in charge. I can't see them troubling the top 4 again anytime soon, but man-for-man they have one of the strongest midfield squads in the premiership. Some of their players may be aging and they'll lose others like Rodwell before long, but Moyes has proved time and again he knows how to find replacements. He's also one of the few managers who can spot a decent player in the championship from the mass of overhyped shite in that division, invaluable for any club on a budget.

I watched the Mags when they were on the telly every bastard week last year. It's the same spine that got them relegated, only with much more desire, passion and teamwork. None of that was there when they went down, it's there in spades now. I hate it, I really do, but they'll be just fine. Aside from the Campbell hoopla you mentioned, this is a completely different Newcastle now. Chris Hughton (though none of the inbreds realised it) was always going to be perfect for them - making the club boring and not gossip rag (as the stupid geordies always wanted them to be), he's pretty much saved the club. They don't deserve it and they probably still wish Shearer was the manager.

On us, I've been nonplussed throughout the entire campaign of friendlies (the two I've seen in the flesh and the stuff I've read/watched about the others) and we're knee deep in shit at the back and in goal. I really hope Bruce has got a wave of 4 or 5 defensive signings hidden away to be revealed shortly, otherwise we're way understaffed for progression.

But then, I'm always a bit more pessimistic and you optimistic, so maybe it balances the books on here a bit, with Magnum as a solid middle ground, I dunno.

I'll add my middle ground to this to say that, as of yet, I'm underwhelmed with our transfer business this summer. I'm more concerned about midfield than defence, as I think at least a couple of our million centre backs should be able to step up and form a partnership this season. I've got more faith in Richardson at left-back than a lot of people - he reminds me of Michael Gray in many ways - and as long as either Muhammadi or Angeleri makes the right-back spot his own and we don't have to resort to Bardsley, that's pretty much sorted. I'm less happy with the midfield because I'm not convinced Cattermole will play more than 20 games, think Henderson's far better on the right than in the centre and also think we're putting far too much on Meyler's shoulders on the basis of 3 or 4 good games at the back end of last season.

That said, I don't expect us to make much improvement on last season, but if we finish below Newcastle then Bruce should fear for his job. I think they'll be good enough to stay up, but I don't think they've improved as much as you say - the championship is a joke of a division that can make people kid themselves clowns like Coloccini and Smith (like Nosworthy and Whitehead for us) can actually be good premiership players, and I certainly don't see them as being any better after their year there than we were when we were promoted under Keane. I don't think they'll be biting their fingernails too much come the end of the season though, provided Carroll gets the expected 'Gerrard verdict' in October.

Archived