Sign in to follow this  
NEWM

Premier League 2010/2011 Discussion

shay given top shotstopper but doesnt command area well enough see the derbies season before last

on neville southall i saw him in 80s just as i started watching football and he was awesome in a special everton team mid 80s, went to stoke last day of 97/98 to watch city and stoke get relegated and even though we won 5 - 2 he still made some great saves, almost guilty about shouting neville neville wheres your wife in 93 when his marital problems were all in paper, loved his protest at half time as well in front of leeds fans start of 89 season, his bin man look was good in all black kit as well

No love for Nigel Martyn? Quality goalkeeper. In my top 5 for longevity at a high standard.

EDIT: Tim Flowers wasn't bad either.

Edited by ButchReedMark

Nigel Martyn was frustrating as an opposition fan because he'd never give up. The ball would ping around the box and it'd spill loose but he'd be the first one there. There's better shot stoppers, better organisers, better goalies at dealing with the ball coming into the box but for pure bloody-mindedness and a steadfast refusal to be second to the ball, it has to be Martyn.

EDIT: And I remember in South London how we all pissed ourselves when he said "I'm moving to Leeds to get back into the England side".

Edited by mikey

Peter Schmeichel is by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen in the Premier League's history, there isn't anyone that comes remotely close. That game at St James Park in Feb 96 is probably the greatest display of goalkeeping you're likely to see in this league.

The best display of goalkeeping in a single game is undoubtedly Ludek Miklosko vs. Man United on the 14th May 1995. A performance described as "scandalous" by Alex Ferguson.

Peter Schmeichel is by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen in the Premier League's history, there isn't anyone that comes remotely close. That game at St James Park in Feb 96 is probably the greatest display of goalkeeping you're likely to see in this league.

The best display of goalkeeping in a single game is undoubtedly Ludek Miklosko vs. Man United on the 14th May 1995. A performance described as "scandalous" by Alex Ferguson.

Haha, it was one of those performance where he played more like a barrier than a goalkeeper, luckily my anger was subdued that day after being at Wembley to watch my local team win the FA Trophy.

As a Goalkeeper myself I can honestly say theres no better feeling than realising at a point in a game that you are playing so well not even Bobby Charlton in his prime could score against you.

Mmm this keeper thing is interesting

Peter Schmeichel for 530k wasnt especially cheap at the time 1991 especially for what was an unknown keeper in these shores though United's experience in the CUp winners Cup may have helped, even though Brondby were in the Uefa Cup

Yes, Martyn had gone to Palace 2 years earlier for 1million, and Lukic to Leeds for a Million in 1990 Tony Coton to Man City was also 1million, Andy Goram from Hibs to Rangers for a million was also but this was back in the days of the old limited foriegners and home players rule. So things were slightly different

Schmeichel ranked joint 10th in Keeper of the Year for 1991 based on Brondby's heroic cup run to the Semis of the Uefa Cup

To give a sense of other transfers at the time (ish)

Wise to Chelsea for 1.6M a then club record

Also the likes of Rod Wallace moving for 1.6M to Leeds

Gary Penrice 1M from Watford to Villa

Denis Irwin cost 625k from Oldham

Mark Hateley cost Rangers 500k

Vinny Jones to Sheffield United for 700k

Andy Clarke to Wimbledone 250k from non league Barnet at the time

David Speedie to Liverpool 800k

Jamie Redknapp cost Liverpool 350k

Stan Collymore cost Cyrstal Palace 100k

So name transfers werent massively away from Schmeichel's and thats a top end transfer. I think the Danish transfer record was then either Per Frandsen or Michael Laudrup for 8million Kroner.. Which at today's prices is about 900k.. Gawd knows what the exhange rate was then . So not exactly bargain of the century .. Compared to todays prices then yeah for a top flight player that is will cheap, but its 20 years ago since that transfer

Cheap? compared to whom? Im not sure what the going rate for Danish Keepers was around then

Wanna own the Penalty Spot Rooney scored from vs Blackburn for 19?

Yours for only a million quid nearly, here

Wanna own the Penalty Spot Rooney scored from vs Blackburn for 19?

Yours for only a million quid nearly, here

Now up to 1.4m.