Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

Has there ever been any actual insight how shoots are booked? As historically some big names have done shoots such as Flair and Angle yet is there a reason nobody has tried to do one with Hogan or Austin or even someone like Bischoff.

My first thought was that is was monetary but after the amount of money Highspots supposedly paid Flair i am less convinced.I was wondering whether or not it is stopped by a legends contract or if people just don't want to do it. Which only furthers my concern that we will never get an Undertaker Shoot.

• Paid Members

Shoot interviews are technically personal appearances. The likes of Austin, Hogan and The Rock don't charge shoot interview prices for personal appearances. Hogan is paid over a million dollars a year in TNA. Austin's asking price for the movies he does in $100,000 a week while filming. And the Rock is doing eight figure movies. You aren't going to see a shoot interview from any of these lot. Angle and Flair don't appear regularly on television or have money marks throwing all kinds of different tasteless endorsements their way like Hogan or Austin do. Same with someone like Sting and Shawn Michaels. He doesn't need to do stuff like this. Bischoff had agreed to do a KC interview in 2009, but signed with TNA before they signed anything. So thats probably an easy payday for someone like Bischoff.

For example of the type of money these interviewers are handing out, Sean Oliver booked Konnan for $1000 (he never turned up and kept his $500 advance, but thats another story) to do a Kayfabe Commentaries Guest Booker DVD. If you were to catch them on the right day, they probably would. If Hogan or Austin was doing an autograph signing and you asked to do a shoot interview, he might. That's how they nabbed Sid. If you just went up and said "here's some money, can we film an interview for a bit", they might just think "thats easy money".

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Does anybody know how much money shoot interviews make for the likes of Sean Oliver? I'm still amazed they sell, given how they appear on the internet not long after release.

I doubt its very much and his outlay can't be that great.

Oliver can be abit annoying but he is worlds above anyone else doing shoot interviews. I can't quite believe RF is still doing them tbh, shouldn't he have been stamped out this industry years ago ? Youshoot are abit hit and miss but provided the guest is good value, they are great shoots.

• 1 month later...

Anyone seen the Vince Russo live YouShoot yet? Its alright but nothing spectacular for a 2 and a half hour show because Russo dodges a lot of questions. No new ground is covered and Russo doesn't play any of the games because of his faith. I don't get why the interviewer, Sean Oliver didn't say beforehand, we play these games, would you be happy doing them. And if he said no, come up with some different ones.

There was one bit which made me laugh. They did a shit list of all of Russo's crappy angles. And when Oliver starts reading them out, Russo's marking out at how great they were. When he gets to "That 70's guy / fat chick thriller" he's laughing his head off at how brilliant it was and wants to get tapes of it!

A couple of times throughout the show, Oliver keeps having a go at an unnamed newsletter for not letting him plug his YouShoot on their show. It was pretty obvious he meant Meltzer & Bryan Alvarez. It was an unprofessional thing to do live and has probably burnt his bridges with them because it turns out Alvarez offered him a chance to come on his show but Oliver turned it down and they plugged it on Alvarez's show on Thursday anyway.

Russo said he and his son have wrote a script/screenplay for a comedy show about a dysfunctional wrestling promotion.....

The usual idiots/hangers on who normally appear with questions are there. The fat bloke who keeps shouting, lets play the game and the scrawny one who thinks he's really smooth, got a gig introducing people to the podium to ask questions. But he stands so close to the mic whatever he's saying is an explosion of distortion. There's a funny Matt Hardy animated video question but that's the only good one. For the majority of the time, you can't understand what they're saying on the video questions because the camera used is so shitty and/or they're wearing some stupid mask for a laugh and they're never funny.

I said from the start it would be shit. Russo covered everything in his Wrestlecrap shoot YEARS ago so its not as if it were a story everybody was dying to hear and the Dixie one sucked balls too so I never held hope for this.

Edited by CiderBag

Has there ever been any actual insight how shoots are booked? As historically some big names have done shoots such as Flair and Angle yet is there a reason nobody has tried to do one with Hogan or Austin or even someone like Bischoff.

My first thought was that is was monetary but after the amount of money Highspots supposedly paid Flair i am less convinced.I was wondering whether or not it is stopped by a legends contract or if people just don't want to do it. Which only furthers my concern that we will never get an Undertaker Shoot.

I sometimes wondered why they never tried to get Randy Savage to do one.

• Paid Members
I sometimes wondered why they never tried to get Randy Savage to do one.

I'm sure someone did to be honest. I'd put money that RF Video have tried at least once.

The Ultimate Insiders DVD with Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo was pretty inclusive, if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, the Russo YouShoot is awful. Worse than the Dixie Carter one by far. At the start, he says he's not planning on working in wrestling again so he's going to really be full-on with the answers. Then for every question, he just has a period and refuses to answer properly.

The live crowd did my head in on the Russo youshoot. You could hear some prick on the front row chime in on almost everything that was asked. Russo never seems to take the blame for anything. It was always him and someone else. He just deflects everything. I liked how someone wrote in saying they felt PPV's were a letdown as the payoff normally happened on free TV the next night, he then blasted that the only thing that matters is tv ratings and it sells more PPV's. Oliver then chimed in that the guy felt ripped off for having paid money to see a conclusion, didnt see it and then got it free the next night (which was the guys entire point) and Russo then agrees with him if he felt he wasnt getting his moneys worth!!

That has always bugged me about tv people like Russo they seem to forget that the first P in PPV stands for pay!

• Paid Members

I was sorting out a load of stuff on my old PC and found some shoot interviews on my old hard drive.

I've got RF shoots of Nash, Dudleys, Sid and Hart Foundation. Cornette and Waltman's Youshoots. And one called Most Legendary Feuds.

Which of these are worth watching? I assume the Nash one will be good fun but what about the rest? Soz, these have probably all been covered in the thread but just wanted a quick summary of which ones are worth it. Haven't really got time to watch all of them.

Cheers

Edited by wandshogun09