Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I completely disagree about Sean Oliver, I think he's an excellent host. I haven't seen any signs that he's 'trying to get himself over' but that's the problem with anything like this relating to wrestling - there will always be a pocket of people that claim that the host is trying to get him or herself over. In Oliver's case, it's nonsense and I think you should back that point up with some evidence, presuming you have any.

He never dominates these interviews. He always takes a back seat, he always lets the wrestlers get their points across without interrupting, he doesn't grandstand questions. I don't really know what more you could ask of him as a host.

As for the people who send in video questions, sometimes they're pretty funny, sometimes they're not. But usually they get a decent question out there no matter how they're farting around.

Oliver's range of shoots and programming is far and away, for me, the best of its kind in wrestling, and the range of different shows he now has is impressive. The timeline stuff is a particularly good idea with the Cornette, Ivory and Shane Douglas ones being excellent that I've seen.

You only actually realise just how good it is when you compare it to the RF Video stuff, which really is the absolute pits.

I have probably only seen two of his interviews, one was Cornette and I think the other was maybe Al Snow. Maybe its not getting himself over, that is probably the wrong way of putting it. I think he comes across as smug, his expressions, comments and body language in the ones I saw came across that way to me. No need for evidence though as its just an opinion, although maybe not presented as such in my earlier post.

I completely disagree about Sean Oliver, I think he's an excellent host. I haven't seen any signs that he's 'trying to get himself over' but that's the problem with anything like this relating to wrestling - there will always be a pocket of people that claim that the host is trying to get him or herself over. In Oliver's case, it's nonsense and I think you should back that point up with some evidence, presuming you have any.

Was this directed at me? If so, sure, here you go, I believe this was the last video he posted:

Jump to 1:12 in, and here we have the host needlessly taking shots at RF (RF conducted a shoot with Douglas, back when Douglas was relevant, in a swimming pool. It was poorly produced, as you could barely hear Douglas) So here we have the host basically needlessly bragging that he is doing a better job than RF, which goes in line with the criticisms that at times he just comes across as a tit trying to get himself over.

Edited by CiderBag

• Paid Members

Have to agree that KC is better than RF. Oliver actually does his homework before these things; and is able to ask questions other than "what are your memories of...." Not to mention the fact that RF is a bush dodger obviously.

Yeah I think Oliver is fantastic. I think people may mistake his confidence for smugness because he's completely at ease with the people he's interviewing rather than sounding startstruck or just completely clueless like Feinstein does. In terms of getting the most out of the people he interviews he's light years ahead of anyone else. I do hate the majority of video submissions on the YouShoots though.

I can agree that Sean Oliver is a smug twat on the interviews and the KayFabe Commentaries releases can be annoying. But you'd have to have almost total brain damage to prefer Rob Feinstein's "Uhhhh, memories of..." absolute shit. I'd go so far as to say that the only people who'd claim RF shoots are better than KFC shoots are Feinstein's mates from certain closed Yahoo Groups.

I find it really, really boring staring at one person for two hours just talking so I grew a bit tired of RF unless it was an extremely entertaining and interesting person, with some charisma or it was particularly funny. I just feel lazy watching it for so long and would rather have it on my ipod to listen to while I travel.

KFC I really like and I'm kinda used to the small minority of dicks who try to get themselves over as "characters" in the IWC but they dont really ruin the viewing experience for me. The Batista's dick question is quite funny now because you expect it and sometimes its not even relevant to the interviewee which is humourous to see their reaction. HOWEVER, the two jokes that Oliver recycles each time, "Meet the Press being on the other side" and his "I have a degree..." thing, he needs to stop that now.

I find it really, really boring staring at one person for two hours just talking so I grew a bit tired of RF unless it was an extremely entertaining and interesting person, with some charisma or it was particularly funny. I just feel lazy watching it for so long and would rather have it on my ipod to listen to while I travel.

KFC I really like and I'm kinda used to the small minority of dicks who try to get themselves over as "characters" in the IWC but they dont really ruin the viewing experience for me. The Batista's dick question is quite funny now because you expect it and sometimes its not even relevant to the interviewee which is humourous to see their reaction. HOWEVER, the two jokes that Oliver recycles each time, "Meet the Press being on the other side" and his "I have a degree..." thing, he needs to stop that now.

• Paid Members
The last KFC video I watched, the Batista's dick question cracked me up. I can't remember who was being interviewed, it was someone who had no connection to Batista (possibly Shane Douglas), and the lead-in to it from the Youtuber was fantastic.

So what is the deal with Batista's dick? You're right it was Shane Douglas, but I saw a shoot with Sean Waltman where someone asked the same question!

EDIT: On a side note, 4 shoot interviews I'd love to see is Hulk Hogan, Vince McMahon, The Undertaker and Triple H. Actually Shane McMahon would maybe be an interesting one.

Edited by DJ Kris

He never dominates these interviews. He always takes a back seat, he always lets the wrestlers get their points across without interrupting, he doesn't grandstand questions. I don't really know what more you could ask of him as a host.

As for the people who send in video questions, sometimes they're pretty funny, sometimes they're not. But usually they get a decent question out there no matter how they're farting around.

Oliver's range of shoots and programming is far and away, for me, the best of its kind in wrestling, and the range of different shows he now has is impressive. The timeline stuff is a particularly good idea with the Cornette, Ivory and Shane Douglas ones being excellent that I've seen.

You only actually realise just how good it is when you compare it to the RF Video stuff, which really is the absolute pits.

I'm guess the funny faces he pulls after questions have something to do with it, it's like if someone says something he knows his audience won't agree with he can pull a funny face and confirm for the viewer that they're are in the right and not the person being interviewed.

Youshoot's are a mixed bag though, if they cut out the sleaze and the dribblers they would be more well received I think, but I suppose any business model needs to cater to their audience, and they've done just that, I mean why else would you want to interview one half of PG13 a small time regional tag team if not to satisfy THAT crowd.

The Russo one looks interesting but much like the Dixie Carter one, it's not going to deliver the showing that fans want because much like Dixie herself Russo is too smart to sit there and look foolish and like Dixie was he'll be well versed and able to put his points across well, and this won't be the Nixon/Frost of the wrestling world like so many are hoping it will be.

It'll probably be a popular sell though for Kayfabe Commentaries, and a decent watch for us so it's a win-win situation for all round.

The quintessential shoot interview has to be RFs 2007 Iron Sheik interview. Highlights includ; Sheik trying to buy crack, Sheik abusing a drug dealer, Sheik calling every wrestler he ever worked with a "no good mother fucker", Sheik destroying B. Brian Blair with words of truth, Sheik giving his opinion of Bin Ladden and Sadam Hussain (both no good mother fuckers), Sheik talking about Jake Roberts not going halfers in his cocaine, I could go on and on....

Here's some classic quotes...

Fuck the Ted Dibiase!

Jake Roberts, you're a no good mother fucker. You didn't have the balls to take your fuckin 8 ball of coke over the border...

Brian Blair is a fag mother fucker no good piece of shit.

The only reason you have job in WWF, because you suck Hulk Hogan's dick, and you fuckin suck Hulk Hogan's ass...

You are not even an ass-hair on the ass of Sgt Slaughter.

Fuck that no good mother fucker Sadam Hussain.

If you said that Chris Jericho, you are a fuckin punk, piece of shit Canadian, no good mother fucker.

Greg the Hammer is my teacher, he teach me A to the Z.

Dan Merade is a no good mother fucker piece of shit, he's a liar, he's a son of a bitch.

Randy Savage, he is another no good son of a bitch, and a Jew.

English Bulldog (referring to The British Bulldogs) one of them was okay.

Super Fly, you are good, you are the best, but you know, shooting wise, I beat the fuck outta you.

Was this directed at me? If so, sure, here you go, I believe this was the last video he posted:

Jump to 1:12 in, and here we have the host needlessly taking shots at RF (RF conducted a shoot with Douglas, back when Douglas was relevant, in a swimming pool. It was poorly produced, as you could barely hear Douglas) So here we have the host basically needlessly bragging that he is doing a better job than RF, which goes in line with the criticisms that at times he just comes across as a tit trying to get himself over.

If that's the best example you could come up with to back up your belief that he 'tries to get himself over' you've done a pretty poor job, especially with the fact that you had to explain the swimming pool comment.

Whilst I believe that Oliver's claims about WWE copying their ideas are ludicrous, there is no doubt whatsoever that the other independent shoot makers have copied KC, right down to just flat out stealing ideas from their message board (a perfect example is the Highspots Enhancement Talent round table). Although that really shouldn't be a surprise with Highspots, whose vast majority of new release best of's/compilations DVDs are not their own work, they've just obtained them from traders (and not via the person who made them), done a fancy cover, then sell them via their site for a nice, hefty profit.

If that's the best example you could come up with to back up your belief that he 'tries to get himself over' you've done a pretty poor job, especially with the fact that you had to explain the swimming pool comment.

Whilst I believe that Oliver's claims about WWE copying their ideas are ludicrous, there is no doubt whatsoever that the other independent shoot makers have copied KC, right down to just flat out stealing ideas from their message board (a perfect example is the Highspots Enhancement Talent round table). Although that really shouldn't be a surprise with Highspots, whose vast majority of new release best of's/compilations DVDs are not their own work, they've just obtained them from traders (and not via the person who made them), done a fancy cover, then sell them via their site for a nice, hefty profit.

It was just the video which popped into my mind as it was the last one he put out. What would you like me to do, go and list every instance where I feel he comes across as somebody trying to shine light on himself? It's just a vibe I get watching him, and how he presents himself as a character of sorts in the DVD/IllegalDownloads. Just watch him throughout this:

and realise he has included the "Dave Meltzer" line to go in the trailer, what does that tell you about who he is trying to appeal to. I bet you don't think Eric Simms is a prick either.

• Paid Members
The last KFC video I watched, the Batista's dick question cracked me up. I can't remember who was being interviewed, it was someone who had no connection to Batista (possibly Shane Douglas), and the lead-in to it from the Youtuber was fantastic.

So what is the deal with Batista's dick? You're right it was Shane Douglas, but I saw a shoot with Sean Waltman where someone asked the same question!

EDIT: On a side note, 4 shoot interviews I'd love to see is Hulk Hogan, Vince McMahon, The Undertaker and Triple H. Actually Shane McMahon would maybe be an interesting one.

It's from a poster over on the F4W board when they were taking questions for one of the YouShoots, he as a joke asked how big Batista's dick was and has asked the same question on every YouShoot since.