Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been listening to the New Age Outlaw's first shoot again on the way in and out of work since yesterday, and merciful hour, it's fucking horrific, isn't it?
I remember when I listened to it first I was all "Oooooooohhhhoooo, gossip!!!" but now I'm almost biting the steering wheel while cringing at some of the shite that comes out of their mouth. Especially Billy Gunn. "Coz I'm so fast and good looking" being a particular recurring insistence of himself.

The one that got me was the genuine, almost childlike belief that they were responsible for getting Austin over to the extent he was due to the fact there's a picture of Road Dogg taking a stunner in a picture in Madison Square Garden and some other places.

I know they recanted in a very boring follow up shoot interview, but my word, if you're bored and looking for something to revisit, listen to this from a  2018 standpoint.

I watched the crash Holly RF shoot again at the weekend interesting shoot sad what happened to Crash....I also watched Chris Addams shoot he didn't bury anyone really and the other night and I give the documentary gentleman choice and watch too

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Dunno if this has appeared here elsewhere before but I just watched this brilliant half hour Vampiro interview from a couple of years ago and if you like his brand of rambling nonsense you should check it out.

His teenage daughter gets interviewed about her dad for a few minutes and it's great, she seems like a good kid and I think it's fascinating that the Vampiro who's infamous for exaggerated stories is so far from the guy she knows as her dad.

It's hilarious how he always puts everyone over as being a legit badass psycho, like he lives in a world of pure violence. He talks about crossing paths with a menacing rapper who's affiliated somehow with the crips and the bloods, the rapper he is talking about is Tone Loc! (the comedy rapper who appeared on an anti gang violence charity single). He also says Mili Vanilli are badass European gang bangers who went looting "Manchester United soccer players" with him.

Other highlights are him breaking down and crying the first time he saw the cover of "never mind the bollocks" because he knew then he had to be a punk. The fact that he watched Repo Man every day for years is great too, that's one of my favourite films. Finally he says completely straight faced that his advice for the kids is; "don't focus on your education". 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle
Your mum

• Paid Members

Vampiro is honestly one of my favourite people in wrestling. Such an absolute mad bastard.

His Hogan-esque constant bullshitting is incredible, because the stuff you'd think he would be lying about is largely all true - he did date pop stars, actresses and supermodels, he was a teen idol in Lucha Libre, he was offered roles in telenovelas and became a huge TV star, he did have movies made about him, he does pal about with a lot of the rock stars he namedrops, he is a reasonably high ranking freemason, he is involved with the Guardian Angels - but then he can't help but exaggerate every wrestling match and every injury so that it almost killed him, to turn every backstage or street altercation into a life-or-death conflict, to have (like Hogan) had a significant conversation with every dead wrestler just days before they died, or to have been pursued by literal demons and spirits for several years. He's a delight.

• Paid Members
Just now, Kamaras-Tash said:

Was he ever actually any good in Mexico? I've only ever seen him wrestle in WCW and MLW when that 1st started up and he's up there with my least favourite wrestlers ever. Just absolutely rotten in every way

Depends what you mean by "good". 

He was never a particularly competent wrestler, and would likely be the first to tell you as much - I've seen him in interviews claim that he never even learned how to lock up, which has to be bollocks.

But once upon a time he had a decent run as a fiery babyface, and was good at getting the crowd on his side in his comeback, and later reinvented himself as a pretty great hardcore/deathmatch brawler.

Most of his appeal in Mexico was character rather than ringwork, though. I think I've spoken about it on here before, but you have to look at Vampiro's success against the cultural backdrop of Mexico at the time - live rock concerts, especially by non-Mexican acts, were still officially banned in Mexico up until the late 1980s, and the rock/punk/metal scenes were still very much underground and looked on with real distrust from the audience, so when Vampiro debuted in Mexico in around '90/'91, he was riding a cultural wave of momentum that people were perfectly primed to latch on to, and they just didn't have public figures with his kind of look to turn to.

That he was a good looking fella at the time didn't hurt, and he definitely drew a significant female audience that wasn't necessarily already following lucha at the time. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

What could they have possibly looted from Man United players in the 80s?

I'd tell you but the story was pretty hard to follow, definitely ended with Vampiro forging David Beckham's autograph... in around 1989. I don't know much about football but that doesn't seem right, unlike Vamps to say something inaccurate though.