Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I hate them because of several things. Mostly the "world are against us", some down to Neil Lennon, lots down to the songs their fans choose to sing (shhhh, you're not allowed to mention this)

You're serious right.........."Fuck Bobby Sands - HE'S DEID!" :rolleyes:

I could go a chicken supper.

and a can of coke too i bet?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never mentioned anything about the songs WE sing. Believe me, I travel on a CSC supporters' bus to away games and I've been to rebel gigs. I know what is sang in certain circles. I just find it a damn cheek that you use it as a stick to beat us with when I heard 50,000 people belt out the Billy Boys at Ibrox the other day after your first goal.

Not to mention all the other filth that is spewed at every turn from the Rangers end at any ground they play at.

I'm going to play your game now. What's sectarian about The Billy Boys?

I never mentioned anything about the songs WE sing. Believe me, I travel on a CSC supporters' bus to away games and I've been to rebel gigs. I know what is sang in certain circles. I just find it a damn cheek that you use it as a stick to beat us with when I heard 50,000 people belt out the Billy Boys at Ibrox the other day after your first goal.

Not to mention all the other filth that is spewed at every turn from the Rangers end at any ground they play at.

:laugh:

This is very 2007. I've grown up - clearly you haven't very much.

This is very 2007. I've grown up - clearly you haven't very much.

Of course.

Apart from Sundays performance, which you wouldn't be able to rate through the hyperbole of the media afterwards, how is Brown doing these days? I've saw him a few times for Scotland and he seemed quite good. For Celtic though I thought he is a total waste, running around like a headless chicken What happened to the Thomson/Brown at Hibs who a vast and wide-raging set of pundits said they had the ability to be brilliant?

Sweet Jesus are you for fucking real?!?!?

OK, i'll field this one and at the same time predict your new for 2011 argument.

Your argument will be "How can the Billy Boys be sectarian when Celtic fans call themselves Fenians?". You will the cite the example of the Green Brigade (the Celtic 'Ultra' section) singing about being Paddy McCourt's Fenian Army". Case closed.

However what that forgets is that the word Fenian does not have to be an insult for the song to be sectarian. The fact still remains that in the first few lines we are told you are the Billy Boys (The Brigton Boys) and that you would like to be up to your knees in the blood of fenians. In fact the only option you are going to give them is to surrender or kill them.

Now it wouldn't take a very enlightened person to understand that whether you are referring to Catholics or Irish Republicans or Celtic fans or Paddy McCourt's Fenian Army itself the song remian sectarian whatever the context of Fenian.

It's taken five long years for this argument to be reached but it is now being peddled everywhere as justification. Your own club class it as sectarian, the SFA class it as sectarian, UEFA class it as sectarian and any sane minded person would class it as sectarian.

The sad thing is that an alternate version exists and there is even a chorus for the full song that is almost identical but lacks the sectarian element. However it is the fourth verse that gets belted out at Ibrox so clearly the context is important. If not the simple solution would be to sing the version that wouldn't get the club into trouble.

Shut up, all of you. Fuck's sake, rick said about a page ago to play nice so instead you've all thrown yourselves into this sectarian bollocks again. Stop rising to the bait; or baiting in the first place for that matter.

Apart from Sundays performance, which you wouldn't be able to rate through the hyperbole of the media afterwards, how is Brown doing these days? I've saw him a few times for Scotland and he seemed quite good. For Celtic though I thought he is a total waste, running around like a headless chicken What happened to the Thomson/Brown at Hibs who a vast and wide-raging set of pundits said they had the ability to be brilliant?

They both have the ability but are lacking key elements. Brown for a long time lacked the temperment, and although he still seems to be having issues with it he is certainly calmer now than he was. Thomson still has potential but is frankly brittle, which is the main reason he's playing for Middlesbrough and not a lower level Premiership club. He is plagued by injuries to the point that Darren Anderton would take a step back and go 'woah, you get injured a lot mate'.

• Paid Members

The thing that I found odd about the Scotland game last night is the failure of the N.Ireland players to press the man with the ball. They barely tried tackling a Scottish player. Scotland looked like Brazil 1970 because of that.

Can we not talk about the football? Example, Stranraer are at home to Montrose at the weekend. Stranraer sit second in the table, Montrose sit ninth. But Stranraer have taken 1 out of 6 against them this season. Hopefully, a good game.

Different note, who is the Motherwell fan on here? Did you (whoever you are) make it down for the cup tie? Thoughts?

Morton are away to Falkirk this weekend. We've been playing decent football recently. We had a bit of a 'mare against Inverness, but that was a bit of a blip. We had the usual bad first half and Inverness scored two goals and then we opened up and they took advantage brilliantly. I can't see the same sort of thing happening on Saturday as Falkirk just don't have the team to do it.

Looking forward to visiting TFS for the first time in a competitive game.

Archived