Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

It appears that it wasn't only Brown who was picking on Poor Diouf;

El Hadji Diouf last night claimed Celtic manager Neil Lennon launched a furious verbal attack on him in the Ibrox tunnel at halftime in Sunday's Old Firm derby.

Diouf has criticised the pumped-up Parkhead boss for stepping out of line by deliberately targeting him throughout Sunday's Scottish Cup cracker.

The 30-year-old says he was shocked to be confronted by a raging Lennon as tempers boiled over.

Diouf said: "It's true. Lennon did come at me in the tunnel. He was just trying to wind me up and get me into trouble. Everyone was trying to wind me up. That must have been Lennon's plan.

"I heard him talking about me before the game and it's obvious what he was trying to get his players to do.

"Then at half-time he came towards me in the tunnel, shouting at me. I can't even remember what he was saying. I think he told me to 'shut up' but I wasn't paying him much attention.

"I couldn't believe a manager was behaving in this way. How can any manager have the time to wait in the tunnel for an opposing player at half-time in such a big game? Shouldn't he be in his own dressing room, waiting for his own players?

"You wouldn't see a man like Walter Smith behave like that."

Diouf has another four Old Firm clashes to come before his loan deal from Blackburn is up at the end of the season.

First up is an SPL game a week on Sunday when Diouf returns to Celtic Park for the first time since he was caught spitting on a fan during a UEFA Cup tie with Liverpool eight years ago.

But he insists he is being singled out for provocation by the Parkhead club.

He said: "I don't have a problem with Lennon. I live in Glasgow now so I'm sure I will see him about, in a restaurant or something like that. If he wants to talk to me there then that's fine - we can speak man to man.

"I don't have a problem with Celtic - all I want to do is enjoy playing my football. But they seem to have a problem with me.

"Even at the weekend I saw John Hartson having a go at me in the paper. I have big respect for what John Hartson did as a player and I'm very sorry he has been ill with cancer.

"But why does he need to pick on me? When you finish playing football sometimes it's better to stop talking and concentrate on doing other things.

"But if Celtic think they can wind me up they have made a big mistake. Maybe that would have worked five years ago but I am not a kid any more.

"For me, that game is over, Lennon won't wind me up.

"We have another four games to come against Celtic and I can't wait to help Rangers win them."

Judging by his track record for lies in the past, I think I smell shite in this article.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It appears that it wasn't only Brown who was picking on Poor Diouf;

El Hadji Diouf last night claimed Celtic manager Neil Lennon launched a furious verbal attack on him in the Ibrox tunnel at halftime in Sunday's Old Firm derby.

Diouf has criticised the pumped-up Parkhead boss for stepping out of line by deliberately targeting him throughout Sunday's Scottish Cup cracker.

The 30-year-old says he was shocked to be confronted by a raging Lennon as tempers boiled over.

Diouf said: "It's true. Lennon did come at me in the tunnel. He was just trying to wind me up and get me into trouble. Everyone was trying to wind me up. That must have been Lennon's plan.

"I heard him talking about me before the game and it's obvious what he was trying to get his players to do.

"Then at half-time he came towards me in the tunnel, shouting at me. I can't even remember what he was saying. I think he told me to 'shut up' but I wasn't paying him much attention.

"I couldn't believe a manager was behaving in this way. How can any manager have the time to wait in the tunnel for an opposing player at half-time in such a big game? Shouldn't he be in his own dressing room, waiting for his own players?

"You wouldn't see a man like Walter Smith behave like that."

Diouf has another four Old Firm clashes to come before his loan deal from Blackburn is up at the end of the season.

First up is an SPL game a week on Sunday when Diouf returns to Celtic Park for the first time since he was caught spitting on a fan during a UEFA Cup tie with Liverpool eight years ago.

But he insists he is being singled out for provocation by the Parkhead club.

He said: "I don't have a problem with Lennon. I live in Glasgow now so I'm sure I will see him about, in a restaurant or something like that. If he wants to talk to me there then that's fine - we can speak man to man.

"I don't have a problem with Celtic - all I want to do is enjoy playing my football. But they seem to have a problem with me.

"Even at the weekend I saw John Hartson having a go at me in the paper. I have big respect for what John Hartson did as a player and I'm very sorry he has been ill with cancer.

"But why does he need to pick on me? When you finish playing football sometimes it's better to stop talking and concentrate on doing other things.

"But if Celtic think they can wind me up they have made a big mistake. Maybe that would have worked five years ago but I am not a kid any more.

"For me, that game is over, Lennon won't wind me up.

"We have another four games to come against Celtic and I can't wait to help Rangers win them."

Judging by his track record for lies in the past, I think I smell shite in this article.

It's a Scottish tabloid. It has to be the truth.

I don't get Diouf's point - yes, we have a problem with him. Yes, we will target him. Yes, Brown was trying to wind him up. He is a complete wanker and I hope there is more to come from Brown and the rest of the team as far as he is concerned. I've since seen the game on TV and shortly after Ness's goal, we had a free kick near the Rangers penalty area which Diouf was doing his absolute damndest to make a nuisance of and get in people's faces, including squaring up to Emilio Izaguirre. This was before any of the Brown/Diouf stramash, which can be seen early on in the game on the cameras: Diouf's behaviour was not that of a man "walking away, being the bigger man." You can clearly see that he is in Brown's face, slavering and shouting unrelenting abuse right in his coupon which any Celtic or Scotland fan will know Brown relishes in. You see his wee remedial face light up when Diouf starts abusing him, and that's a big part of his game.

Poor wee El-Hadji. I agree with Brown, he is a total cunt for running to the papers with this even though he is clearly to blame as well. Man up and leave it on the park. If these words were taken out of context if Diouf was interviewed after the game, well hard luck to him: on Sky Sports, Broony didn't give them an inch when they asked about his war with Diouf.

Brown displayed the kind of swagger that I think is missing from the British game these days, which is why I was hoping the rumours of King Kenny wanting him at Liverpool were true.

I've spoken before of Andy Carroll's swagger and attitude being something I like to see (before he was anywhere near signing for Liverpool), and I would relish the chance to see a Liverpool team managed by Kenny, featuring a spine of Carragher, Gerrard, Brown and Carroll.

I don't think anyone is denying that Brown is a wee ned (after all, he was a Rangers fan as a kid) but Diouf gave as good as he got. Kenny described it as handbags and he's not far wrong, really; like Brown said, it's banter. Interestingly enough, when you actually read what Diouf says in each interview, he doesn't come across nearly as whiny as I'd expected.

As I've said before, I'm not happy we signed him, but fuck it, he's at the club now and if he plays like he did in the first half against Celtic I'll be absolutely fine. Just hope it's only words that come out his gob from now 'til June.

I don't think anyone is denying that Brown is a wee ned (after all, he was a Rangers fan as a kid) but Diouf gave as good as he got. Kenny described it as handbags and he's not far wrong, really; like Brown said, it's banter. Interestingly enough, when you actually read what Diouf says in each interview, he doesn't come across nearly as whiny as I'd expected.

As I've said before, I'm not happy we signed him, but fuck it, he's at the club now and if he plays like he did in the first half against Celtic I'll be absolutely fine. Just hope it's only words that come out his gob from now 'til June.

Incorrect, I have it on extremely good authority that although he wasn't a Celtic fan as a kid...he fucking HATED Rangers.

• Paid Members

Incorrect, I have it on extremely good authority that although he wasn't a Celtic fan as a kid...he fucking HATED Rangers.

A better authority than his mate, Kevin Thomson?

In the sometimes small, small world of the SPL that Thomson has now left behind, he would get booed on his returns to Easter Road with Rangers while Brown as a Celtic player was greeted with warm applause. "We always laughed about that because Scotty grew up supporting Rangers and he was the one who put in a transfer request while me, the born Hibby, didn't

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Saturday-I...son-.6462576.jp

It's quite funny that Brown is public enemy #1 amongst the Rangers support at the moment. A grand departure from

He's absolutley not public enemy number 1. He's just a wee fud that's had a handful of good games in the time he's been at Celtic. One of them happened to be Sunday

Scott "Xavi" Brown.

Chaka, your comebacks are cringeworthy. I suggest you just leave it be until the replay.

I suggest you stick to worrying about your wee provincial team. Leave the arguing over the big teams to the big boys religious bigots/gloryhunters.

Archived