Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I can handle it when we use the back to the wall tactics against teams like Barca and Man Utd who are miles and miles ahead of us. But Celtic were there for the taking on Sunday. I hate to use "Ifs buts and maybes" but if Davis attempt in the 4th minute went in the game would have been over and I've no doubt we'd have pushed on.

The fact that Celtic had a man less and we still proceeded to let them come at us time after time, win the ball then pump it right back up the field for them to run at us again and again was the frustrating thing. I don't thnk there's a Celtic fan that wouldn't admit that if we made a few changes at half time and pushed on we'd have scored a 3rd and effectivley killed off the game.

That's what frustrates me most about Walter. Even when everybody in the ground can see a team are there for the taking he still uses the same defensive tactic that he uses against Man Utd and Barca. He done it against hearts last week and against ICT the week before. Both times we narrowly escaped with a 1-0 win when we could have quite easily killed the game off.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Triumph doesn't need to mean victory.

Triumph

- noun

1. victory; success

2. joy over victory or success

- verb (used without object)

3. to be victorious or successful

So not a triumph. An achievement, perhaps. But not a triumph.

Erm..... thanks for proving my point.

Let's take the definition that says to be successful. Drawing when 2-1 down to your greatest rivals, at their home ground, when down to ten men for about 50 minutes and out playing them fits nicely with that definition.

Call it a triumph over adversity perhaps?

Motherwell are today delighted to confirm the signing of former England International striker Francis Jeffers.

Jeffers, 30, who was most recently at Aussie A League club Newcastle Jets, has an impressive array of former clubs including Everton, Arsenal, Blackburn Rovers and Rangers and was capped at senior level by England in 2003, scoring on his debut against Australia.

The Liverpudlian burst onto the scene back in the late 90

SCOTT BROWN last night lifted the lid on his on-field war of words with El Hadji Diouf during Sunday's explosive Old Firm derby.

And the Celtic skipper admitted the yellow card he picked up for celebrating in the face of the Rangers new boy was the best booking of his career.

Brown spoke out exclusively to Record Sport yesterday to shoot down Diouf's claims he had deliberately set out to get the Senegalese striker sent off by ref Calum Murray.

Instead, the Celtic captain has given his own blow-by-blow account of the trash talking that escalated into a full-scale feud between the pair - culminating in Brown's provocative reaction to his stunning late equaliser.

Diouf has infuriated Brown by suggesting the Scotland man was "out to make a name for himself " by getting the bad boy into bother in his first Old Firm derby.

But Brown insists it was Diouf who started hurling insults in the Ibrox cauldron and claims the former African Player of the Year is now a jealous spent force.

Brown - speaking yesterday at Craig Levein's international HQ in Bishopton - said: "He has said I was trying to make a name for myself. How ridiculous is that?

"Did he not see the armband I was wearing? I am captain of Celtic, I play for Scotland. I think I have made my name by now.

"I think it's more about him trying to make a name for himself again. Let's face it, he only came to this league because he couldn't get a game in England. No one would touch him with a bargepole.

"So he's come up to Scotland to try to make the most of what is left of his career, which isn't much. Good luck to the lad. I look forward to seeing how it all works out for him."

Brown's account of the flare-ups begins in the opening minutes of the Ibrox clash when Diouf appealed in vain for a free-kick after the pair had clashed in front of the main stand.

He said: "It started early in the game when Diouf didn't get a free kick for a challenge I made on him near the corner flag.

"He started moaning about that and trying to be the big man. He started trying to trash talk me - saying how much money he has and how I'm skint.

"To be fair I couldn't really grumble too much - the lad does have a bit of cash!

"So I didn't mind it too much but when I gave him a wee bit back he didn't like it. If you're going to start giving it out you have to expect to get a bit back but he just couldn't take it.

"I said something about his diamond tooth and he didn't seem to appreciate it very much. He said I couldn't afford one of my own and maybe he's right.

"Fair play to the guy but if he wants to learn about scoring goals he should nip over to watch us train at Lennoxtown one afternoon and I'll show him a thing or two about finishing.

"What has he scored? Three goals in three seasons in the Premiership? That's decent eh?

"Look, I know I'm hardly the most prolific goalscorer in the world but I'd fancy myself to get more than that down there."

Brown admits the exchanges became more and more vile as the match thundered on.

He said: "It became very personal between us very quickly. I was actually quite surprised by just how personal he got and the kind of things he was saying about my family.

"But I'm a big boy. If he wants to go down that road then I'm happy enough to go there too. I'll always give as good as I get.

"He wanted to drag me into a battle and I was quite happy to oblige him. I think I came out of it on top and he knows it.

"I don't want to go into detail about what he said about my family. It was crude and it was vulgar but that's up to him. Yes, I did respond to him but what did he expect?

"He just picked on the wrong guy."

Brown insists he landed the knockout blow when he rifled home the stunning second-half goal that took the fifth-round tie to a replay - and guaranteed this pair must go head to head another FOUR times before the season ends.

A beaming Brown was cautioned by ref Murray for turning to gloat at Diouf after the ball had hit the back of Allan McGregor's net.

Brown said: "The celebration was brilliant and I don't regret it in the slightest. It was the best booking I've had in my life.

"If I'm honest I'm not sure why I was booked because I didn't move and didn't say a word. I just turned round and there he was right by my side.

"I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time. I was probably in a bit of shock at scoring with my left peg!

"I was delighted with the goal - maybe I just wanted to share the moment with him!

"I wasn't trying to make him snap or get him sent off. I didn't think he would spit in my face either because he's been in enough trouble over stuff like that in the past.

"It was all just a bit of banter as far as I was concerned. I've been wound up by loads of people on the park and I've done it to more than my fair share of opponents as well. It's part of the game."

Now the hot-headed rivals are set to slug it out in four more Old Firm matches this term and Brown insists he can't wait.

He said: "I enjoyed the battle. And I'm looking forward to more.

"But I'm surprised he went running to a newspaper as soon as he was off the park to complain about me. What's that all about?

"What happens on the pitch should stay on the pitch but I'm not going to stand quietly back and let him say these things about me without challenging it. If he wants to make this personal then I'm good with that too."

Think we have a new Thommo/Ricksen on our hands here :D

"I played my own game even though some people tried to wind me up. There was a lot said before the match, but I kept my nerve and was alright.

"Brown tried to wind me up right from the start of the game.

"He tried things to get me sent off, but I'm too strong for him.

"I am not here to give a headache to people.

"I am here to play my football and do everything I can to help Rangers win games. I know Brown tried to get me sent off, but that's OK.

"I know what is going to happen in every game I play here.

"It happened in England and it will happen in Scotland, I know people are going to try and get me sent off. But I tell you, I'm too strong for those people.

"I am mature now - I'm a big guy and I know what to expect.

"Maybe five years ago I would have reacted and done something to him and been sent off. But not now.

"I tell you right now, I am not going to let anyone down.

"I have a nice manager behind me in Walter Smith and nice team-mates behind me too.

"I don't want to disappoint them so that's why I am only focused on playing my football.

"I just want my manager to be happy with me outside the pitch and inside the pitch.

"I am not here in Scotland to react to things.

"I am here to win the league by helping my team-mates. Guys like Brown can do what they like.

"My job was to play well and if you look at it, how many good crosses did I put into the box? I did OK.

"I am going to score goals here, definitely, but the most important thing for me is my team wins game after game."

Brown and Diouf clashed repeatedly at Ibrox.

At one point the Scotland star urged the Senegal hitman to get on the ball and try to get past him when Sasa Papac was standing over a free kick.

Diouf also claims Brown insulted his family.

But the experienced frontman insists there was no way he was going to react, not even when Brown scored and celebrated by standing right in front of him.

He explained: "When Brown scored he came to me and did something, but I have been playing football a long time now. I am not a young boy any more.

"Brown said some nasty things to me on the pitch - things about me and my family - but I am too big for him.

"He can say nasty things about me and my family all he wants.

"I am too big for him, no one knows him. He just wants publicity because if I react then people are going to say El Hadji did something wrong to him.

"No one knows him so why should I react?

"I could have said something to the referee but I didn't do that." Diouf couldn't have handled his Old Firm debut any better from his own point of view.

Ignoring the flack, he also played well and showed his class. It was a big day for him, with the eyes of Scottish football glaring at him from the sidelines, but Diouf was pleased with the way he performed.

He said: "I feel good and also tired. But if you play football this is the game you want to play in.

"The atmosphere was amazing, unbelievable.

"I have played in many derbies in my life like Liverpool v Everton, Newcastle against Sunderland and Bolton v Blackburn. But Rangers against Celtic is the best.

"It's the biggest game I have ever played in my career, no question.

"The manager gave me confidence and the Rangers fans all love me."

Celtic now look to be favourites for the replay on March 2 at Parkhead, but Diouf insists there is no reason why Gers can't win through to the last eight.

He said: "We are a little bit disappointed by the result, but we know we can do a job in the replay.

"Nothing has been decided yet.

"We are still in the competition so why can't we win at their place?

"Last time Rangers played there they won so we can do it again."

From the two interviews. It's evident who the scumbag is. And he's not a Rangers player.

So is Scott Brown. :thumbsup: Lego heed.

The day that Brown spits on players, fans (including 14 year old children), aims racial abuse at ballboys, gets convicted of motoring offences and taunts a player with a double leg break we can compare the two.

Until then, Brown remains someone who noises up opposition players on the park, and gets on opposing fans tits.

They said almost exactly the same things as each other. I think the only difference is that when the two are described as "gobby", it has a slightly different meaning for each.

At the risk of using the most overused cliche in football, it's handbags. Get over it.

Archived