Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just reminded by mention of Samaras. There was a horrendous offside flag when he went through on goal second half. He was about 4 yards onside.

Who is the co-commentator on Sky? His catchphrase is "he had every right to go for that", whether it be a shot, a tackle or whatever. He says it 20 times a game.

David Weir was immense again, I thought. He's been incredible for Rangers.

Just reminded by mention of Samaras. There was a horrendous offside flag when he went through on goal second half. He was about 4 yards onside.

Who is the co-commentator on Sky? His catchphrase is "he had every right to go for that", whether it be a shot, a tackle or whatever. He says it 20 times a game.

David Weir was immense again, I thought. He's been incredible for Rangers.

Davie Provan as far as I recall. He's another one in a long line of boring boring Sky co-commentators.

You can't really win with Scottish football co-commentators on Sky or ESPN. If the game is on Sky, you are going to be treated to either Davie Provan or Andy Walker. I think Provan is marginally preferable, having been a great player in his day (at least what my dad tells me) added to the fact that I cannot stand Walker's nasal voice and constant vindicating of players attempting to dive to get decisions.

On ESPN, it is almost always Craig Burley, in which case it is hardly even worth watching the game at all unless you fancy being taken into a depressive tailspin for 90 mins. He is the most negative person in football.

• Paid Members

Burley's atrocious. He's got a massive chip on his shoulder. I watched a game on ESPN and he was in the studio with Kevin Keegan. When they came back from the ads at half time, Burley looked like Keegan had just shit in his tea. He's ridiculously angry about god knows what?

One Celtic fan messaged me yesterday to tell me how they had a 'ten man triumph'. If drawing 2-2 is what passes for 'triumph' at Parkhead these days, then these are darker times for Scottish football than anyone thought.

I'd guess that coming back from 2-1 down with 10 men at Ibrox isn't too far away from what can be considered a triumph, no?

• Paid Members
You can't really win with Scottish football co-commentators on Sky or ESPN. If the game is on Sky, you are going to be treated to either Davie Provan or Andy Walker. I think Provan is marginally preferable, having been a great player in his day (at least what my dad tells me) added to the fact that I cannot stand Walker's nasal voice and constant vindicating of players attempting to dive to get decisions.

On ESPN, it is almost always Craig Burley, in which case it is hardly even worth watching the game at all unless you fancy being taken into a depressive tailspin for 90 mins. He is the most negative person in football.

It's a complete mystery how Craig Burley has a job in broadcasting. Scoot Booth was another that proved just because you've played the game doesn't mean you know anything about it.

I'd have to pick Provan ahead of Andy Walker too. Provan loves Aberdeen though. His constant pot-shots at us in his News Of The World column are a hoot.

There has to be ex footballers out there who are intelligent, able to talk properly and not spout utter shite weekly on tv. I can't be the only one fed up of the constant rotation of Craig Paterson, Neil McCann, Murdo McLeod, Champagne Charlie, Jimmy Calderwood etc.

Stephen Craigan at least speaks some sense when Motherwell allow him to appear on Sportscene but that's it.

• Paid Members
I'm not a fan of either side but it was a fab game to watch, the best Old Firm derby I've seen in ages.

Unfortunately, I then immediately sat through Aberdeen/Dunfermline and wanted to top myself.

At least you weren't in the ground watching it in person!

I'd guess that coming back from 2-1 down with 10 men at Ibrox isn't too far away from what can be considered a triumph, no?

Triumph tends to mean victory, so I'd have to say it's not. Close, I suppose, and I guess something of an acheivement - but still not a triumph.

Worried about the team we'll put out for the return leg. Obviously Naismith is out but did I imagine it that Weir is also suspended? Until around a week ago that wouldn't have bothered me, then we had to go and release Andy Webster...

Triumph doesn't need to mean victory. Celtic were playing a team who from about 20 minutes into the game had the sole aim of not letting the other team score or get back in the game.

Celtic managed to not only do that with 10 men but also almost managed to win the game outright.

This was not a one off for Rangers. It is a tactic that they try all the time and over the years in big games it is surprisingly effective in gringing out wins and draws against the odds. Barcelona, Man United and even Celtic will testify to that. So Rangers 'let' Celtic play as much as they did Man U and Barcelona.

It might just be me but it seems everytime Celtic pull out a performance at Ibrox it is because 'Rangers did not turn up' and 'they were marginally the better of two bad teams'.

Well that's now twice in a couple of weeks that it has happened so maybe just maybe Celtic deserve some credit and it's actually them that are not allowing Rangers to play by passing circles round them with a much younger and fitter team, a deeper squad that allows them strength off the bench and a better attitude.

Archived