Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Brown more than steadied the ship at Well. He's the main reason you punched abouve your weight since Gannon left.

When Brown left us, we were sitting 5th. When Gannon was sacked we were 6th, so to say that Brown steadied the ship isn't far off the mark.

We finished 5th under Brown last year, and 7th & 3rd under McGhee. It's fair to say that McGhee was the man who turned our club around. We were fighting relegation under Maurice Malpas before he came in.

• Paid Members
What's your opinion on the Jim Gannon era, David? I think he was OK for the time he was there. Might have had a few ego issues, but I don't think he was a bad boss for you lot.

He fucked off a lot of the senior players with his attitude, and was a nightmare to work for according to other non-playing staff sources at the club.

He's only been the manager for a month!

Yeah, and were willing to wait & see what he does in the summer and beyond before making any judgements on him.

Yes and we gave him a season and a half...

It was your media down south who was calling for his head after a season in...

Is it just me or is their no left back? i think Bardsley might have slotted in there for Sunderland though. No Lee Wallace, he looked very good against Rangers recently.

He's played at left-back for alot of this season and has been a revelation really, by far our best player this season - which considering how well we've done this season really is saying something (and the fact he is a natural right-back and right footed).

Great attitude on the lad, was told during the summer that he would be sold as he wasn't performing - instead of moaning he got his head down, trained harder, got into much better shape and always gives 100% every game plus he has even contributed 2 goals in his last 5 games while playing on the left.

I think Scotland would do well with Hutton on the right & Bardo on the left, very attack minded play coming up the wings (whether Levein goes attacking is obviously the main question there).

I like to see Scotland do well (I have no beef at all with Scotland or the SPL unlike some English fans), especially if Gordon, Bardsley & even Hutton are playing. Just like I enjoy seeing Hearts do well with Kevin Kyle & Stephen Elliot being there.

Awww.... you ruined that post by mentioning you like to see Hearts do well. :D

:laugh: Sorry about that, randomly bumped into Kyle & Elliot countless times when they were at Sunderland and are both great guys.

Still see Kyle at the odd Sunderland game still as he has a son that lives here.

Thoughts on Sundays game Bettencourty / martyn ?

We are on a shakey run of form recently but Aberdeens confidence must be down somewhat after two relatively heavy defeats on the bounce to Celtic. If McGhee was still in charge i would have fancied the Pars strongly but now he's gone and we have lost Steven Bell and Willie Gibson i think Aberdeen will edge it comfortably.

EDIT: Just read we've signed Kevin Rutkiewicz on loan from St Johnstone, pretty happy about that. A good solid centre half at this level. Martin Hardie also on trial looking for a short term deal. Would be happy if we get him too he's always been a good presence when he's played against us, puts himself about and good for a few goals from midfield.

• Paid Members

I'm never confident going into a match with Aberdeen. But one thing I know is that instead of having confidence dented, the players will go into the game trying to make amends and feel fired up for it as they will feel themselves that they were let down by the referee.

I'm pretty sure Craig & Archie will use everything to give them confidence making sure they do not go out to a lower league club once again.

• Paid Members

I see Steven Smith is now at Aberdeen on loan from us. Good luck to the guy, but he was no good to us really as he was injured from day one. Homesick too apparently, which I can understand as it's quite the distance. Could turn out to be a pretty good signing for the Dons though once he's fully fit.

• Paid Members
I see Steven Smith is now at Aberdeen on loan from us. Good luck to the guy, but he was no good to us really as he was injured from day one. Homesick too apparently, which I can understand as it's quite the distance. Could turn out to be a pretty good signing for the Dons though once he's fully fit.

He looked decent enough last week. But all in all, it makes a change from having a centre half playing out there.

Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign former England striker Francis Jeffers until the end of the season subject to international clearance.

It is expected it will be Sunday at the earliest before clearance is received from the Australian FA, Jeffers having terminated his time at Newcastle Jets.

The 30-year-old will not therefore be available for Saturday's Scottish Cup fifth-round visit to Stranraer.

A contract was negotiated with Jeffers on Friday afternoon.

oMb6C.gif

This won't end well. His record over the past ten years makes for terrifying reading for any 'Well fan;

2001-2004 Arsenal - 4 goals in 22 games

2003-2004 Everton (loan) - 0 goals in 18 games

2004-2006 Charlton - 3 goals in 20 games

2005 Rangers (loan) - 0 goals in 8 games

2006-2007 Blackburn - 0 goals in 10 games

2007 Ipswich (loan) - 4 goals in 9 games

2007-2010 Sheffield Wed - 5 goals in 54 games

2010-2011 Newcastle Jets - 1 goal in 9 games

150 games for eight clubs, with 17 goals in the space of ten years.

• Paid Members
Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign former England striker Francis Jeffers until the end of the season subject to international clearance.

It is expected it will be Sunday at the earliest before clearance is received from the Australian FA, Jeffers having terminated his time at Newcastle Jets.

The 30-year-old will not therefore be available for Saturday's Scottish Cup fifth-round visit to Stranraer.

A contract was negotiated with Jeffers on Friday afternoon.

oMb6C.gif

This won't end well. His record over the past ten years makes for terrifying reading for any 'Well fan;

2001-2004 Arsenal - 4 goals in 22 games

2003-2004 Everton (loan) - 0 goals in 18 games

2004-2006 Charlton - 3 goals in 20 games

2005 Rangers (loan) - 0 goals in 8 games

2006-2007 Blackburn - 0 goals in 10 games

2007 Ipswich (loan) - 4 goals in 9 games

2007-2010 Sheffield Wed - 5 goals in 54 games

2010-2011 Newcastle Jets - 1 goal in 9 games

150 games for eight clubs, with 17 goals in the space of ten years.

The fox in the box is a useless cunt up front.

I haven't followed Scottish football at all this season, but comparing the Celtic team to the team I lasted watched regularly (McManus, Caldwell, Robson etc etc). Fucking hell there's a MASSIVE difference. Very good game of football to be honest, Rangers were very poor in the second half but both teams could have easily won it. Another Old Firm then via a replay, I might tune in again!

Archived