Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Glad to see Maguire get a chance, but I'm also pretty surprised at the snubbing of Wallace. Mark Wilson and Bardsely have both played as left backs, but that's not their natural positions. Wallace has had a great season in my opinion, and I'm disappointed that hasn't been recognized. Don't know much about Hanley though, any opinions?

And Soap, I'd actively avoid picking Berra for the squad, I think he's diabolical! I'm not keen on Caldwell either, so fingers crossed Danny Wilson will live up to his potential and become a top clas centre back. It's all we're missing really.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to see Maguire get a chance, but I'm also pretty surprised at the snubbing of Wallace. Mark Wilson and Bardsely have both played as left backs, but that's not their natural positions. Wallace has had a great season in my opinion, and I'm disappointed that hasn't been recognized. Don't know much about Hanley though, any opinions?

And Soap, I'd actively avoid picking Berra for the squad, I think he's diabolical! I'm not keen on Caldwell either, so fingers crossed Danny Wilson will live up to his potential and become a top clas centre back. It's all we're missing really.

I hope he does as well, although I'm not sure he should be getting picked for Scotland when he isn't in the Liverpool first team.

• Paid Members

I think you're missing a forward line and have been ever since Ally McCoist packed in. I can't see that changing anytime soon, I can't think of any promising young scottish forwards beyond Maguire and Goodwillie either. I haven't seen anything to suggest that either of those has top class potential.

• Paid Members
I think you're missing a forward line and have been ever since Ally McCoist packed in. I can't see that changing anytime soon, I can't think of any promising young scottish forwards beyond Maguire and Goodwillie either. I haven't seen anything to suggest that either of those has top class potential.

Naismith has been in great form recently, he's still pretty young and trumps the two of them.

• Paid Members

Levein deserved more flack for that joke of a formation against the Czechs. Absolutely shocking. The game was there for the taking. People also forget that if Mario Frick had stayed on, Liechtenstein would have beaten us. We have a joke of a national team manager now, IMO.

Did anyone happen to catch the interview with Craig Brown during the first half of the Aberdeen vs Celtic game last night?

When he was asked about the penalty and resulting red card he replied "I don't think it was a red card, and I wonder if it would have been the same result had it happened at the other end."

Now, far be it for me to question the statement made by Brown, but I've noticed that this hasn't gotten any news coverage at all. Would things be different had Lennon said that about a decision made by a referee?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...aig-Levein.html

Not too dissimilar in many ways from the original situation with Boyd / Burley. Silly boy.

I saw this coming a mile off. When Fletcher wasn't in this latest squad despite having actually played for Wolves lately, I knew that meant he wasn't wanting to play.

Pretty annoyed with it, mind. We don't have another striker that plays like him. I'm not saying he is fantastically talented etc. but he's a strong player and all our top forwards are wee guys.

Levein deserved more flack for that joke of a formation against the Czechs. Absolutely shocking. The game was there for the taking. People also forget that if Mario Frick had stayed on, Liechtenstein would have beaten us. We have a joke of a national team manager now, IMO.

Proof that we would have lost had Frick been on? It's mere conjecture. Whether or not we have a joke of a national team or manager is a different story.

• Paid Members
Did anyone happen to catch the interview with Craig Brown during the first half of the Aberdeen vs Celtic game last night?

When he was asked about the penalty and resulting red card he replied "I don't think it was a red card, and I wonder if it would have been the same result had it happened at the other end."

Now, far be it for me to question the statement made by Brown, but I've noticed that this hasn't gotten any news coverage at all. Would things be different had Lennon said that about a decision made by a referee?

I didn't hear that interview but if that is actually what he said i can't blame him.

When the game is 90 seconds old and Zander Diamond is bombing across to cover then a straight red is pretty harsh.

Not that it matters in the grande scheme of things. Our defence isn't good enough and at the moment we just can't handle Hooper and Stokes.

Thank fuck we have seen the back of them for a while. Hopefully we won't have to see Zander Diamond for much longer either.

I think we all know the answer to that. But he's Craig broon, an old man who sounds like your granda, speaks calmly, and is fly enough to dress it up as a question instead of an accusation.

Nice to see us finally getting the benefit of an iffy big call too! :)

• Paid Members

His answer on the interview was justified.

Never a red card. Horrible ref.

Coincedence that he didn't book any Celtic players as he completely ignored their fouls, when he was dishing them out to us for the same foul because if certain players got a booking they would miss the Old Firm match? I think not.

All in all we were done by the referee. Good effort lads.

I didn't hear that interview but if that is actually what he said i can't blame him.

When the game is 90 seconds old and Zander Diamond is bombing across to cover then a straight red is pretty harsh.

I don't think anyone can blame him for questioning the referee's call in that instance, although I'm fairly sure that Brown gets a shot off before Diamond gets anywhere near him.

What I'm raising isn't the fact that he questioned the call, but that he insinuated that if the same thing were to happen in the Celtic box it would result in a different decision from the official.

In my eyes he's blatantly questioning the match officials integrity, which is something that Lennon has been hammered for from both the SFA and the press in recent months.

Do the same rules not apply to Craig?

Archived