Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Don't like the sound of this..

Blackburn Rovers forward El Hadji Diouf is travelling to Glasgow to conduct talks with Rangers over a deadline day move, STV understands. The Senegalese international could agree a loan deal to play for the Ibrox club until the end of the season.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...el-hadji-diouf/

EDIT: Should be in the transfer window thread. Sorry about that!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
done deal

Kyle Bartley on his way as well

Bartley is highly rated at ours and has impressed in reserve/youth games. Surprised we have let him out on loan considering we short on defenders, good player though looks like a young Rio in the making.

The Webster thing is very confusing. He had a great season at Dundee Utd last year, got himself into the Scotland set-up and looked a shoe-in to help Rangers out at the back with Weir getting on. He will do a job somewhere; he is a hatchet man by nature so I'm surprised that it's quite obvious Walter Smith does not fancy him at all. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

Whenever he was cast up in press conferences etc, Smith always insinuated that he was injured. I don't seem to remember him missing that many games for Utd last season, or even when he was at Hearts.

The Webster thing is very confusing. He had a great season at Dundee Utd last year, got himself into the Scotland set-up and looked a shoe-in to help Rangers out at the back with Weir getting on. He will do a job somewhere; he is a hatchet man by nature so I'm surprised that it's quite obvious Walter Smith does not fancy him at all. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

Whenever he was cast up in press conferences etc, Smith always insinuated that he was injured. I don't seem to remember him missing that many games for Utd last season, or even when he was at Hearts.

Walter never had a problem with him, he had high hopes for him. The talk was that he didn't have the bottle to play for a big club. When he came back to Rangers after Dundee Utd there was high hope for him amongest the Rangers coaching set up. But every time he was told he would be playing he went to the physio's and told them he had felt a tweak in his thigh, Or said that his hamstring was tight. He couldn't handle playing for a club with so much pressure on winning ever game and bottled it.

It's a shame cause he was a natural replacement for Davie Weir, but that's how things go.

It's a shame cause he was a natural replacement for Davie Weir, but that's how things go.

The fact that Rangers need to replace Weir at the end of the season, and Celtic were desperate for a centre half, yet both let Mark Reynolds head down south is quite confusing.

The fact that Rangers need to replace Weir at the end of the season, and Celtic were desperate for a centre half, yet both let Mark Reynolds head down south is quite confusing.

Yeah, I am a bit shocked neither Glasgow club took a punt on Mark Reynolds. I would have been quite pleased had we signed him, I think he is a promising young centre half. I've had it in the ear about Reynolds for years though; one of my dad's mates is friendly with the Reynolds family and every time I see him he would harp on about how Mark is the best defender out, so in that respect, it's somewhat amusing that he has signed for Sheffield Wednesday.

I do think he has been snubbed by Scotland though, he should definitely be making squads at this stage in his career. If he does eventually manage it, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him back up here at some point.

• Paid Members
done deal

Kyle Bartley on his way as well

Bartley is highly rated at ours and has impressed in reserve/youth games. Surprised we have let him out on loan considering we short on defenders, good player though looks like a young Rio in the making.

Saw him play for Sheff Utd against Hull on Boxing Day. One of the most abysmal defensive performances you will ever see. I nearly fell off my chair when I found out he belonged to Arsenal. Maybe put it down to the presence of Nyron Nosworthy as his partner?

What do you guys think of the latest Scotland squad?

Goalkeepers: Bell (Kilmarnock) Gordon (Sunderland) McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Bardsley (Sunderland) Berra (Wolves) Caldwell (Wigan Athletic) Hanley (Blackburn Rovers) Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur) Danny Wilson (Liverpool) Mark Wilson (Celtic)

Midfielders: Adam (Blackpool) Bannan (Aston Villa) Brown (Celtic) Commons (Celtic) Dorrans (West Brom) Fletcher (Manchester United) McCulloch (Rangers) Morrison (West Brom)

Forwards: Maguire (Aberdeen) Miller (Bursaspor) Naismith (Rangers) Snodgrass (Leeds United)

Goalkeepers and Midfield look outstanding. Forward line is very light and it looks poor defensively. Is it just me or is their no left back? i think Bardsley might have slotted in there for Sunderland though. No Lee Wallace, he looked very good against Rangers recently.

I think it's quite an impressive squad. Also shocked at the snubbing of Lee Wallace, though it's probably about time Mark Wilson got a cap. He has been in and out of the Celtic team for years and done whatever was asked of him quite well.From that choice, I would go:

Gordon

Hutton

Caldwell

Berra

Wilson

Fletcher

Brown

Adam

Commons

Naismith

Miller

Archived