Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/9378246.stm

The Asian Football Confederation will take no action over Ki Sung-Yeung's perceived racist celebration following his goal against Japan.

And the South Korean authorities claim the Celtic midfielder's intention was to highlight abuse he has received while playing in Scotland.

After converting a penalty in Tuesday's semi-final, Ki appeared to impersonate a monkey, sparking outrage in Japan.

After a 2-2 draw, Japan won the match on penalties.

"The treatment he got from the Scottish league, especially in the away games, the people who made noises like the sound of the monkeys in Scotland when he played away games, that is something he wanted to highlight," said a Korea Football Association spokesman.

"Even though they call him a monkey as an Asian, he wanted to show how strong they are in Asia. That was the main intention."

The Japanese Football Association accepted their Korean counterparts' explanation of the incident and like the AFC, have no intention of pursuing the matter further. The AFC also confirmed there has been no contact from Fifa over the issue.

"We are aware of the goal celebration but we don't think it impacts on any country," said AFC tournament director Tokuaki Suzuki.

"The issue, according to my understanding, has already been resolved after communication between the Japan Football Association and the Korea Football Association.

"AFC will not take any legal action in this matter."

Japan will meet Australia in Saturday's final in Qatar, while South Korea take on Uzbekistan for third place.

Here is the incident at least I think it is, they all look the same to me. I was hoping for some underarm scratching at the very least, bit disappointing.

That is just pure excuse making. The press would have loved to have picked up on the abuse that Ki would get.

I don't understand what you mean? Ki and Cha got absolute dog's abuse (ooh-er!) twice in the space of a week at McDiarmid Park in games against St. Johnstone. Monkey chants etc.

• Paid Members
Sure it wasn't donkey sounds for when they fucked up?

If I was going to be racist towards the asians I'd be making karate/kung fu noises "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!" etc. etc.

You mean exactly like the abuse Derek Young gets?

• Paid Members
That is just pure excuse making. The press would have loved to have picked up on the abuse that Ki would get.

I don't understand what you mean? Ki and Cha got absolute dog's abuse (ooh-er!) twice in the space of a week at McDiarmid Park in games against St. Johnstone. Monkey chants etc.

Okay, but why respond to that by doing a monkey impression, months later, in an international game, when you know it's going to be interpreted as a racial slur against the Japanese? Why refuse to explain the gesture after the game, go on Twitter and talk about how angry you are at the Japanese and only THEN say it was aimed at St Johnstone fans?

Haraga's right. He's making excuses.

• Paid Members
Sure it wasn't donkey sounds for when they fucked up?

If I was going to be racist towards the asians I'd be making karate/kung fu noises "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!" etc. etc.

You mean exactly like the abuse Derek Young gets?

Yes.

So Commons has gone to Celtic. I didn't realise he was 27! Shame we've missed out on him, especially as I assume he was being bought to replace Weiss when he goes back to City at the end of the season. Still, there's an upside in that we haven't bought someone that we don't really need. I'd have preferred to see us going for a striker or something.

EDIT: also great news, McCulloch is suspended! Edu can get a proper chance and Fat Lee can fuck off.

So Commons has gone to Celtic. I didn't realise he was 27! Shame we've missed out on him, especially as I assume he was being bought to replace Weiss when he goes back to City at the end of the season. Still, there's an upside in that we haven't bought someone that we don't really need. I'd have preferred to see us going for a striker or something.

EDIT: also great news, McCulloch is suspended! Edu can get a proper chance and Fat Lee can fuck off.

Celtic came in with an extra 5k a week that swung it there way, Commons can be a good player but he's too inconsistant, it will be intresting to see how he copes in scottish football I expect him to do well for a short time then sit back on his big contract and be lazy.

Archived