Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Celtic fans are ready to back the club in their war with the SFA by refusing to buy tickets for away games.

The Bhoycott is due to start at Kilmarnock on March 2. Celtic Supporters' Association wants their 3000 members and other fans to snub away games to starve clubs of cash.

They insist they are taking action in protest at decisions by referees and the SFA which have damaged Celtic this season.

Recent action taken against Neil Lennon has brought the issue to a head and Killie chairman Michael Johnston was on the SFA committee that bumped up the Celtic gaffer's touchline ban to six weeks on appeal last Tuesday.

CSA general secretary Joe O'Rourke said: "Some fans have concerns about leaving the team with no support if we have a Bhoycott and I understand that but the old saying of 'no pain, no gain' springs to mind.

"Let's be absolutely clear - this proposed Bhoycott is about the treatment of Celtic by the SFA and its officials. We will always be 100 per cent behind Lenny and players.

"I don't have to go over recent history but things were bad enough and they have deteriorated dramatically since the Dallas-Dougie incidents.

"There has to be a serious problem when the president of the SFA attacks us in the media. Just how we expect to get a fair and impartial hearing after his outburst I don't know.

"Feedback shows between 90 and 100 per cent support for a Bhoycott of the match at Kilmarnock.

"Every supporters' club I have spoken to is backing the action. There are some fans who will never be in favour of a Bhoycott irrespective of the reason and I understand that.

"Some fans will say it leaves the team with no support - fair point but then what do we do? Just accept being cheated on an almost weekly basis?"

O'Rourke hopes snubbing Rugby Park will only be the first such demonstration by Hoops fans. He said: "It should be the first action in our campaign for fair treatment.

"It will show the fans can unite for the common good of the entire club, from the directors right through to the manager and players."

Source: Daily Record

An interesting form of protest. I'm curious to see if this will actually work.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I attend most away games, and I will be supporting the Bhoycott and won't attend the Killie game at Rugby Park.

Think it's a great idea. I'm not concerned about the team having no support present - they know the reasons for the protest, and know we aren't turning our backs on them. Besides, if they are good enough on the day, they will do well. You only need to look to the 90s when Celtic fans were banned from Ibrox and John Collins silenced the stadium (not that there will be any fucking Killie fans there to silence).

I was talking in the pub the other day about how the Old Firm fans should go on strike at away games and how there's many reasons to back it up. DespiteThe fact the clubs hike their prices up when we come, despite the fact we fill their stadium to depths it doesn't see throughout the season, the SPL split, The new SPL ten team system they are pushing purley because every club gets more money from Celtic and Rangers fans.

All that said, I don't support a boycott over the way the SFA apparently treats Celtic. What exactly will it achieve?

DespiteThe fact the clubs hike their prices up when we come

Does that actually happen? Certainly gives credence to Rangers and Celtic taking the huff with TV money if it does.

From my experience theirs 2 category games.

Cat 1 - Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Rangers and your local derby.

Cat 2 - The rest.

Nothing wrong with that IMO considering that the OF charge more than the average SPL game aswell.

Does that actually happen? Certainly gives credence to Rangers and Celtic taking the huff with TV money if it does.

Cat 2 - The rest.

Nothing wrong with that IMO considering that the OF charge more than the average SPL game aswell.

Do they charge it for every game though?

There's a massive difference between raising your prices for one team and not the other, and keeping the prices the same.

Cat 2 - The rest.

Do they charge it for every game though?

There's a massive difference between raising your prices for one team and not the other, and keeping the prices the same.

Dundee used to raise for those specific games, normally like

DespiteThe fact the clubs hike their prices up when we come, despite the fact we fill their stadium to depths it doesn't see throughout the season, the SPL split, The new SPL ten team system they are pushing purley because every club gets more money from Celtic and Rangers fans.

How much do you think we need to pay to get into Celtic Park or Ibrox? A small fortune just for the privilege of being told to not stand up and not to chant or shout too loud by your jobsworth stewards.

I stopped going to either Old Firm grounds ages ago, it's a rip off.

As for "filling our stadium", you'll find that neither of you are bringing the amount of fans you once did. It must be the fact that the gloryhunters have fucked off or something?

Whilst our greedy chairmen may be pushing the ten team league, you'll find that virtually no football fan in this country wants that set up.

Well, we've issued a statement regarding the league reconstruction;

Motherwell Football Club today released the following update to supporters regarding the ongoing re-construction debate.

Speaking collectively, the Board at Motherwell FC said,

How much do you think we need to pay to get into Celtic Park or Ibrox? A small fortune just for the privilege of being told to not stand up and not to chant or shout too loud by your jobsworth stewards.

Rangers and Celtic both raised their prices 3 years ago when Aberdeen and St Mirren were the first clubs to start charging us more than anybody else. Add to the fact your actually playing in a real football stadium, as opposed to 4 sheds with seats in them like most SPL grounds. Hamilton's is an absolute joke. Falkirk's was ridiculous as well. And they charged us 33 quid for the privilege of watching us play them. They played hibs the next week, ticket price?

Add to the fact your actually playing in a real football stadium, as opposed to 4 sheds with seats in them like most SPL grounds. Hamilton's is an absolute joke. Falkirk's was ridiculous as well.

Well, it's worth noting that the "real" football stadium that Rangers call home is starting to show some signs of wear & tear. Most likely due to the lack of financial resources they have to keep it in tip top shape, right?

7 or 8 years ago a situation like that wouldn't have been an issue.

Well, clubs like us have been facing that financial position for fucking years. Some of us don't have the benefit of being financed by a fanbase of tens of thousands of people who live a few hundred years in the past when it comes to religion.

As i've said before, you can't strangle the other 10 clubs in the league financially then complain that we don't have facilities and teams who are up to scratch.

Well I attend most away games, and I will be supporting the Bhoycott and won't attend the Killie game at Rugby Park.

Think it's a great idea. I'm not concerned about the team having no support present - they know the reasons for the protest, and know we aren't turning our backs on them. Besides, if they are good enough on the day, they will do well. You only need to look to the 90s when Celtic fans were banned from Ibrox and John Collins silenced the stadium (not that there will be any fucking Killie fans there to silence).

I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced that a boycott of away games is the best form of protest in this instance. I'm not sure how punishing Kilmarnock (ridiculous prices or not) just to have a go at the SFA is very fair (though I did reconsider this stance when I learned that their Chairman Michael Johnson was on the panel which handed Neil Lennon his 6-game ban)

It probably doesn't help that Rugby Park is one of my favourite away trips of the season - but I fail to see how witholding funds from Kilmarnock will encourage them to get on our side with regards to the SFA.

Incidentally, should Rangers and Celtic draw in the Scottish Cup, the replay will probably be scheduled to fall on the date of this game. How many Celtic fans will boycott that one?

Archived