Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
funny how the stadiums only only seem to be full, is when rangers and celtic come to town.

When was the last time that was true? :confused:

Maybe the Rangers and Celtic end is full, but the home end certainly isn't.

Thats a great point. Celtic fans outnumering the home Hamilton fans by 3-1 is a minter, and futher supports the point of if you create a balanced game, people will pay to see it. They attracted more home fans for games against Dundee and Partick than against Celtic FFS!

Don't get me started on the unfair distribution of TV money either.

I would like to get you started on this.

How is it possibly unfair? Rangers and Celtic regulary get the highest viewing figures on THE WHOLE OF SKY SPORTS for their away games. With the exception of the bigger English games like Chelsea/Man Utd, Man Utd/Liverpool etc... So we should be absolutley entitled to more share of the TV money.

Not to mention the fact that niether us of the mhanky mhob ever get to play an away game at 3pm on a Saturday, purley because Sky and ESPN want huge viewing figures. Teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and the rest don't have to put up with travelling up to inverness at 8am on a Sunday morning in the middle of winter, purley to get there for a 12:15 kick off.

Not to mention the fact we both bring more away fans than most clubs have home fans. Anybody that complains about the the way the TV money is distributed in Scotland is blinkered by their hatred of the supposed "Bigoted glasgow clubs". How many people would watch St Mirren Vs St Johnstone at 12:15 on a Sunday as opposed to St Mirren Vs Rangers? The difference is literally hundreds of thousands. Thus why we get more TV money.

No matter which way you look at bit. Without "The bigoted Glasgow clubs" the Scottish league would be no more than a gloryfied Sunday league. Rangers and Celtic ARE Scottish football, without us you have nothing. NOTHING. Aye, Dundee Utd might win the league one year, then Hibs the next. But nobody would want to watch it. And no TV company would pay a penny for it. The BBC might well have a duty to accuire the rights, but it'll be for about a tenner and will gather as much viewing figures as a Shinty match on Saturday Grandstand.

WE ARE SCOTTISH FOOTBALL. You provincial fucks are only here to make up the numbers.

• Paid Members
funny how the stadiums only only seem to be full, is when rangers and celtic come to town.

Exactly, and that's the problem. The true object should be to balance the league, surely?

No. The object of the other clubs should be to get up to the old firms level, not bring the old firm down, the last few years Rangers and Celtic have both got much weaker then they once was, its up for the other teams to catch up with them not hope the league cripple the old firm and do there job for them.

• Paid Members

We once nearly sold out our stadium for the mighty Inverness Caley...

let me guess, you're a dons fan? would that not be because thats like a derby no?

celtic in for robbie keane

Sorry, you failed to mention that Derbies didn't count...

But personally, I wouldn't consider it a derby. We're 120 miles away from eachother and don't seem to have had much of a rivalry over the years.

Plus I think the real reason is the fact that we were doing pretty well that season...

Not to mention the fact we both bring more away fans than most clubs have home fans. Anybody that complains about the the way the TV money is distributed in Scotland is blinkered by their hatred of the supposed "Bigoted glasgow clubs". How many people would watch St Mirren Vs St Johnstone at 12:15 on a Sunday as opposed to St Mirren Vs Rangers? The difference is literally hundreds of thousands. Thus why we get more TV money.

Right, I'm not assuming to know the answer to this, but I have a question. Do you think that Rangers and Celtic are better off away from Scotland because of the poor standard of football?

Right, I'm not assuming to know the answer to this, but I have a question. Do you think that Rangers and Celtic are better off away from Scotland because of the poor standard of football?

Absolutley. But it'll never happen.

Absolutley. But it'll never happen.

Follow up question then. Don't you think that a more even share will then benefit you from that standpoint?

Remember that qualification for Europe would also become a real problem for the Old Firm, even if they got the required league placings.

• Paid Members

Makes sense. Better standard of football = higher TV revenue. Higher TV revenue = more money to spend. Thus completing the big circle that us modern football.

Also Deaq, it's going to be pretty tough trying to get to Old Firm levels. Hearts tried it and got themselves

Don't get me started on the unfair distribution of TV money either.

I would like to get you started on this.

How is it possibly unfair? Rangers and Celtic regulary get the highest viewing figures on THE WHOLE OF SKY SPORTS for their away games. With the exception of the bigger English games like Chelsea/Man Utd, Man Utd/Liverpool etc... So we should be absolutley entitled to more share of the TV money.

You've just backed up my point. By just giving it back to those on TV, you stick yourself in an endless loop. If you were to distribute equally, then the league is no longer monopolised, making it more competitive, making more people want to watch games OTHER than you lot. To add to that, without the other 10 teams, their would be no league, thus no TV deal, and no game. This is the SCOTTISH football game we are talking about, not the Old Firm Leagues. I can see how you and the Tims enjoy it the way it is however.

Not to mention the fact that niether us of the mhanky mhob ever get to play an away game at 3pm on a Saturday, purley because Sky and ESPN want huge viewing figures. Teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and the rest don't have to put up with travelling up to inverness at 8am on a Sunday morning in the middle of winter, purley to get there for a 12:15 kick off.

Booo fucking hoo. So you want to get the benefits (ie the money) without having to sacrifice Saturday 3pms? Get a grip Ally, you wouldn't be stuck playing 12:45s if the TV was split equally, along with the money.

The difference is most definitely not HUNDREDS of thousands, but tens of thousands, and only in the short term, if you were to allow for the money to be spread and re-invested, in the same way you take the lions share and spend it on kids from Korea or England who improve your team. The large picture is where the money is at. So to summarise, you get more money because more people want to watch you, because you play better football because you unfairly (IMO) take more money than the rest of the clubs in the SPL.

<Insert generic OF spiel here.>

You're starting to sound like a defense lawyer for a mass murderer, something Dundee supporters know all about. :thumbsup:

Good point. Piss of to England and you turn in to a Newcastle esque outfit. No chance of Europe, stuck in the mid-table mediocrity that the rest of Scotland is stuck in because of you.

Good point. Piss of to England and you turn in to a Newcastle esque outfit. No chance of Europe, stuck in the mid-table mediocrity that the rest of Scotland is stuck in because of you.

That wasn't the point I was making at all. The point I was making was in the second question I asked...

Don't you think that a more even share will then benefit you from that standpoint?

I'm not interested in the dick measuring "my team is bigger than your team nonsense lol" side that seems to be rearing it's ugly head.

Archived