Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, you can have a 2 team league, or a 40 team league, it'll make no different unless you install wage caps, transfer limits and structured youth funding.

Wage cap levels the playing field and encourages spending money on Youth Development, which in turn creates a closer league, more important games per season, and thus leading to larger average crowds. If you add on things like a 16 team league, and speciality events (ala the allstar games in the States), it gives the fans diversity, which is what we want.

RIP Scottish Futba.

So you want to cripple the old firm by bringing them down to the level of everyone else? In doing so make the biggest attraction in the SPL just another SPL club? :confused:

Cripple the Old Firm or push the Aberdeens, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwells and Arab Bastards, depends which way you look at it IMO. Scottish football wasn't / isn't and should never just be about two bigoted clubs in Glasgow, it's about the principle of a competitive league, and the sooner this is achieved, the better our national side would do, and in the long run, our provincial clubs in Europe.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, you can have a 2 team league, or a 40 team league, it'll make no different unless you install wage caps, transfer limits and structured youth funding.

Wage cap levels the playing field and encourages spending money on Youth Development, which in turn creates a closer league, more important games per season, and thus leading to larger average crowds. If you add on things like a 16 team league, and speciality events (ala the allstar games in the States), it gives the fans diversity, which is what we want.

RIP Scottish Futba.

So you want to cripple the old firm by bringing them down to the level of everyone else? In doing so make the biggest attraction in the SPL just another SPL club? :confused:

Cripple the Old Firm or push the Aberdeens, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwells and Arab Bastards, depends which way you look at it IMO. Scottish football wasn't / isn't and should never just be about two bigoted clubs in Glasgow, it's about the principle of a competitive league, and the sooner this is achieved, the better our national side would do, and in the long run, our provincial clubs in Europe.

If a team has a wage cap in the SPL and a team you play in Europe does not who will more then likely have the better team? Why should the old firm be responsible for pushing the other team's? they do enough as it is now. The only reason it would make the national side better is that the top players coming out of Scotland will have to play outside of the SPL to get the money they want. At the moment this is not far from what happens.

I bet you were in favour of the ridiculous championship play-off that Steven Thompson was touting a few weeks ago?

• Paid Members

Financially, I understand the reasons for the switch to 10 although if we don't split all revenue (minus genuine prize money) equally then what is the point in making the league smaller or bigger. I appreciate that first should get most and so forth but not 50% of all monies to 1st and 2nd and 50% between the rest as it pretty much is now. The money the league makes has to be split equally or there is no point going forward.

I'm not for sharing gate receipts as that would be a barrier to progress. If you can build and fill a 50,000 seater stadium and have 50,000 people paying

I just think its ridiculous the league needs expanding rather than having it 10 teams and facing each other 4 times its not like you dont have enough teams to expand is it?

Although in saying that if rangers/celtic ever get the go ahead to join the premier league scottish footballs fucked..unless its all intergrated.

I bet you were in favour of the ridiculous championship play-off that Steven Thompson was touting a few weeks ago?

Not in the slightest. 16 teams playing each time home once and away once is perfectly acceptable for me, as it gives you the opportunity to run a shorter league between February and Novemer, with cup games included.

If a team has a wage cap in the SPL and a team you play in Europe does not who will more then likely have the better team? Why should the old firm be responsible for pushing the other team's? they do enough as it is now. The only reason it would make the national side better is that the top players coming out of Scotland will have to play outside of the SPL to get the money they want. At the moment this is not far from what happens.

If a team has a wage cap, it would focus more on the development of it's talent and youth players, thus increasing the quality on the park, and making them competitive. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they could compete with Barcelona, however by focusing on this, it also increases their teams ability, the lure of the club to youngsters worldwide, the national side, of Scotland, aswell as the sell on value of these players, thus making the club more money to spend on players (as part of the afore-mentioned wage cap...imagine teams being rewarded for doing a good job?!)

Also, by saying the best players will leave Scotland, you may be right, that happens the world over however, and may not necessarily happen, as the budgets would go up with the turnover increase. All it would do is leave a spot for another player to be given to develop from a youth system, that the club could then again in turn utilise, to increase their squads ability, or if needed sell. Rinse, repeat.

You are right, it's not far from how it is now, but if you equally invest in all the clubs, instead of the 1 or 2 players the OF feed through every couple years, you get 8/10 every few years from the 16 clubs, showing a competitive league, which creates interest, which creates emotion, which creates more cash, to paraphrase Eric Bischoff.

Don't get me started on the unfair distribution of TV money either.

funny how the stadiums only only seem to be full, is when rangers and celtic come to town.

Scottish Football has always been about the two bigoted Glasgow clubs. And unfortunately, it always will be.

so yer saying only rangers and celtic are the bigoted clubs in the league? open yer eyes and clear that build up of wax and you'll pretty much find its not only the old firm clubs that are bigoted.

funny how the stadiums only only seem to be full, is when rangers and celtic come to town.

We once nearly sold out our stadium for the mighty Inverness Caley...

let me guess, you're a dons fan? would that not be because thats like a derby no?

celtic in for robbie keane

Archived