Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I don't blame anyone other than Mark McGhee for his appaling record.

Although my hatred of Muttley knows no bounds (matched only with my hatred for that auld cunt Broon), it has to be said that he couldn't have possibly turned into a bad manager overnight.

There must have been other factors at play there.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I don't blame anyone other than Mark McGhee for his appaling record.

Although my hatred of Muttley knows no bounds (matched only with my hatred for that auld cunt Broon), it has to be said that he couldn't have possibly turned into a bad manager overnight.

There must have been other factors at play there.

You are probably right. I still don't think he is a bad manager.

Maybe the huge expectation and pressure up here was too much for him - that's not a shot at Motherwell by the way - McGhee seemed to be under fire from day one.

Maybe the players didn't like him - it's fairly common knowledge Aluko hated his training methods (which are basically to run players into the ground). McGhee clearly didn't rate most of the players he inherited - ironically Aluko being the only one of Jimmys last 9 signings he actually kept around (not including Mulgrew who made it clear from the start he wasn't interested and would be out the door as soon as his deal was up).

Maybe the media eventually broke him. It's no secret that Scott Davie of the BBC hates Aberdeen and Mark McGhee and took great pleasure in sticking the knife into both. The press conference where McGhee went on his "Look me up on Wikipedia..." being a prime example. Scott Davie was the one who was jumping about in the commentary box celebrating our loss to St Mirren while he was commentating on a completely different game at Tannadice!

Truthfully only a few people know exactly what happened behind the scenes. Milne and Miller are saying fuck all. McGhee hasn't yet (and I doubt he will), maybe in time Scott Leitch will come out and tell all.

• Paid Members
So you two have been having an argument with me in a thread I haven't even visited for God knows how long? That's ridiculous.

Hardly. Try actually reading next time.

Funds or not, Jimmy Calderwood did fantastically well as Aberdeen boss. That's a fact. Did he spend all that cash in a season? No, he did it over the space of years. The grudge you hold against me purely because I hold an opinion justified by results is ridiculous, Martin. It's pretty laughable that you continue to try and rubbish a man whose left the club, and seem to go as far as to blame him for Mark McGhee's attrocious record. Calderwood was a success, fact. Any objective football fan can see that. The fact you're obsessed to the point you've actually changed your sig to quote me pretty much shows the ridiculous, blinkered, obsessed kinda football fan you are.

Firstly I don't hold a grudge against you. You are an Aberdeen fan - correct?

I don't blame anyone other than Mark McGhee for his appaling record. Although I stand by my point that Calderwood left the club in a total mess.

As you probably can guess I desperately wanted McGhee to be a success at Aberdeen but even i can admit the majority of his transfers were a joke and his time can be seen as nothing other than a complete failure.

As for quoting you in my sig - If you didn't know if what I said was true then look it up or don't reply. Did you think I had just made up some ridiculous stats to try and catch you out?

I couldn't look it up, I was accessing the site on a phone. Calderwood didn't win anything, but so what? Look at managers like Craig Levein at and Dundee Utd etc. Managers who didn't win anything, but were undisputedly successes for the club. Aberdeen don't have a divine right to win something, and in a league featuring the Old Firm all they should be expected to do is achieve something. We did that every season with Calderwood. He had a budget to spend, so why rip on him for spending it? He'd be stupid not to. Hibs have brought in relatively big money players at the time and recently, Dundee Utd and Hearts too. Yet Jimmy Calderwood had us hold our own each year, qualifying for Europe and even causing a few upsets while we were there.

Romanov has stuck his head aboe the parapet to give his opinion on the league restructuring idea;

Vladimir Romanov has told the Old Firm to loosen their purse strings and he will vote for a 10-team SPL.

But Hearts sources insist he refuses to dismiss Record Sport's plan for 14 teams if the Glasgow giants don't play ball.

Hearts' owner is ready to back proposals to cut the size of the league after summit talks with SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and chairman Ralph Topping in Lithuania.

He has given his backing to their Plan A, contradicting his manager Jim Jefferies who has spoken out in favour of a 14-team top flight.

But Romanov wants a more equal distribution of revenues between clubs, as well as a return of reserve football to nurture youth development.

Rangers and Celtic command around a third of SPL turnover and it remains to be seen if they are willing to compromise.

Romanov said: "First, it is obligatory that the tournament of reserve teams is resumed. Without such reserve competition, the youths will have no chances to get into the main teams.

"Secondly, the distribution of the league's profits should be decided democratically. As a whole I am in favour of the fact they seek solutions. I am for the development of football."

Good old Vlad. He just jumps in, contradicts his manager & asks the Old Firm to cough up money.

Great victory for Celtic today. We look so much more dangerous in front of goal when Hooper plays, his goal was a superb effort. Him and Stokes surely have to be considered the front line for us now - whenever they have played together their link-up play has been excellent and they lay on a lot of chances for each other.

If you look at the starting line-up, we had a very young team out:

Forster - 22

Wilson - 26

Rogne - 21

Majstorovic - 33

Izaguirre - 24

Forrest - 19

Brown - 25

Kayal - 22

McCourt - 27

Stokes - 22

Hooper - 22

Average age of well under 25. I am very impressed with Izaguirre, Kayal, Hooper and Rogne in particular who all have very bright futures ahead of them. I don't see any reason why we can't win this league.

• Paid Members
So you two have been having an argument with me in a thread I haven't even visited for God knows how long? That's ridiculous.

Funds or not, Jimmy Calderwood did fantastically well as Aberdeen boss. That's a fact. Did he spend all that cash in a season? No, he did it over the space of years. The grudge you hold against me purely because I hold an opinion justified by results is ridiculous, Martin. It's pretty laughable that you continue to try and rubbish a man whose left the club, and seem to go as far as to blame him for Mark McGhee's attrocious record. Calderwood was a success, fact. Any objective football fan can see that. The fact you're obsessed to the point you've actually changed your sig to quote me pretty much shows the ridiculous, blinkered, obsessed kinda football fan you are.

I don't blame anyone other than Mark McGhee for his appaling record. Although I stand by my point that Calderwood left the club in a total mess.

As you probably can guess I desperately wanted McGhee to be a success at Aberdeen but even i can admit the majority of his transfers were a joke and his time can be seen as nothing other than a complete failure.

As for quoting you in my sig - If you didn't know if what I said was true then look it up or don't reply. Did you think I had just made up some ridiculous stats to try and catch you out?

I couldn't look it up, I was accessing the site on a phone. Calderwood didn't win anything, but so what? Look at managers like Craig Levein at and Dundee Utd etc. Managers who didn't win anything, but were undisputedly successes for the club. Aberdeen don't have a divine right to win something, and in a league featuring the Old Firm all they should be expected to do is achieve something. We did that every season with Calderwood. He had a budget to spend, so why rip on him for spending it? He'd be stupid not to. Hibs have brought in relatively big money players at the time and recently, Dundee Utd and Hearts too. Yet Jimmy Calderwood had us hold our own each year, qualifying for Europe and even causing a few upsets while we were there.

He did an ok job. What annoys me is that you and some others make him out to be the fuckin messiah. He was an ok manager who did an ok job with the funds he recieved.

Also, my friend Martyn seems to look things up on his phone ok, he does it every spare moment he gets. :p

Anyways, Calderwood's two managers ago and he isn't involved in Scottish Football at the moment (nor do I expect him to be significantly in the near future) so roll on the future!

He did an ok job. What annoys me is that you and some others make him out to be the fuckin messiah. He was an ok manager who did an ok job with the funds he recieved.

Also, my friend Martyn seems to look things up on his phone ok, he does it every spare moment he gets. :p

Anyways, Calderwood's two managers ago and he isn't involved in Scottish Football at the moment (nor do I expect him to be significantly in the near future) so roll on the future!

Also don't forget he was very coy the way he left Kilmarnock knowing fine well they were skint and he'd have to work with little or no money if he'd hung around which would show him up and damage his stock.

I can see Dundee staying up. Cowdenbeath appear to be in freefall ( three games in a row they've conceded three goals or more ), Stirling are in a constant state of shiteness and even Morton probably won't stay above them.

Stirling are dead certs to go down if you ask me. That much is clear. I'm vert worried about the playoff spot actually.

• Paid Members

Also, my friend Martyn seems to look things up on his phone ok, he does it every spare moment he gets. tongue.gif

I don't think he's the messiah, don't get me wrong. Just that he was the best manager we've had in God knows how long, and much better than he's given credit for. Were there flaws? Absolutely. His record at developing young players was poor at best. However, he really transformed the team that Steve Paterson had on the books. In a league with the Old Firm what he achieved was admirable.

As far as the future goes I'm optimistic about Brown and Knox. They've transformed the team, and ultimately it's become apparent that some of McGhee's "dud signings" aren't actually as bad as people thought. I don't know why things worked out as badly as they did under Mark McGhee, but looking forward, things are starting to look bright. Milsom looked like a decent signing, and Scott Vernon is on fire right now. Looking at the team sheet, when you consider we've still got Nick Blackman and Paul Hartley to come into the side, we actually have quite a strong team.

Majstorovic was a total liability at the back though Soapy.

Surely Celtic can do better than him? Wilson is definately a must-get before January is over.

Talking of centrebacks, I see your lad Reynolds has got the big transfer he always wanted - to Sheffield Wednesday! I saw 'Well had rejected a bid of

Majstorovic was a total liability at the back though Soapy.

Surely Celtic can do better than him? Wilson is definately a must-get before January is over.

Anything down his left side and he is all over the place, Hibs looked to try and exploit that today by pressuring him down the touchline onto his left foot.

Archived