Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Again I've no idea whether this is true or not, but he can't have done that badly overall as we qualified for Europe.

You're an Aberdeen fan right? How can you not remember that embarrassing run towards the end of his tenure? Also, Redweb has all the results from the last 10 or so seasons!

Also to your point about the "little" he had to spend...

In his 5 years he nearly spent a quarter of a million on transfer fees.

Steve Lovell -

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Erm... if you're talking about the whole post. I posted it a few weeks ago in reply to Ron Simmon's discussion with Martyn about JC being successful at Aberdeen with little to no funds. I was ill at the time, so took a couple weeks to post, but Ron has not replied to my counter argument.

• Paid Members

So we've signed Nick Blackman... why the need for so many strikers? Must be preparing for a striker to leave this month.

Also, watched the press conference today. Craig Brown is showing signs of his age, going completely off topic with his stories. :D

• Paid Members
I presume it means Velicka is even further from the team. He is still there, yeah? Think Rangers got the better end of that deal. Foster comes in fit and can play, Velicka barely seen since moving north.

I have no idea why we took him. He's just not fit.

• Paid Members
There's no point Patty- you are wasting your time.

Ron Simmons won't reply because he doesn't know. He has admitted as much himself.

You had better not keep bumping that post all year! :)

So you two have been having an argument with me in a thread I haven't even visited for God knows how long? That's ridiculous.

Funds or not, Jimmy Calderwood did fantastically well as Aberdeen boss. That's a fact. Did he spend all that cash in a season? No, he did it over the space of years. The grudge you hold against me purely because I hold an opinion justified by results is ridiculous, Martin. It's pretty laughable that you continue to try and rubbish a man whose left the club, and seem to go as far as to blame him for Mark McGhee's attrocious record. Calderwood was a success, fact. Any objective football fan can see that. The fact you're obsessed to the point you've actually changed your sig to quote me pretty much shows the ridiculous, blinkered, obsessed kinda football fan you are.

• Paid Members
Some people have far too much time on their hands.

I was at the game last night you apologist fuck, I took these off a forum.

I suppose someone has to document the agenda frame-by-frame. It will be ignored by the Hun media anyway.

Do you want a medal? You still took the time to seek out the images and fire them all over here. Celtic are not the first club to get a raw deal by a referee and they won't be the last. You had 96+ minutes to beat Hamilton. A handful of refereeing decisions should not stop you.

Or maybe he just saw them on a Celtic forum he goes on and posted them here to illustrate a point he was making? Come on now everyone does this type of thing when there team has been involved in a game with a crap ref.

• Paid Members
So you two have been having an argument with me in a thread I haven't even visited for God knows how long? That's ridiculous.

Hardly. Try actually reading next time.

Funds or not, Jimmy Calderwood did fantastically well as Aberdeen boss. That's a fact. Did he spend all that cash in a season? No, he did it over the space of years. The grudge you hold against me purely because I hold an opinion justified by results is ridiculous, Martin. It's pretty laughable that you continue to try and rubbish a man whose left the club, and seem to go as far as to blame him for Mark McGhee's attrocious record. Calderwood was a success, fact. Any objective football fan can see that. The fact you're obsessed to the point you've actually changed your sig to quote me pretty much shows the ridiculous, blinkered, obsessed kinda football fan you are.

Firstly I don't hold a grudge against you. You are an Aberdeen fan - correct?

I don't blame anyone other than Mark McGhee for his appaling record. Although I stand by my point that Calderwood left the club in a total mess.

As you probably can guess I desperately wanted McGhee to be a success at Aberdeen but even i can admit the majority of his transfers were a joke and his time can be seen as nothing other than a complete failure.

As for quoting you in my sig - If you didn't know if what I said was true then look it up or don't reply. Did you think I had just made up some ridiculous stats to try and catch you out?

• Paid Members
There's no point Patty- you are wasting your time.

Ron Simmons won't reply because he doesn't know. He has admitted as much himself.

You had better not keep bumping that post all year! :)

It doesn't matter if he spent it all in one season or not. He was given a lot of funds compared to the other 8 SPL teams outwith Hearts and the Old Firm.

He was not successful. He was mediocre doing a mediocre job getting mediocre results on the most part. He did very, very well getting us into the last 32. But he is not successful.

04/05: League - 4th, League Cup - 3rd Round, Scottish Cup - Quarter Final

05/06: League - 6th, League Cup - Quarter Final, Scottish Cup - 4th Round

06/07: League - 3rd, League Cup - 2nd Round, Scottish Cup - 3rd Round

07/08: League - 4th, League Cup - Semi Final, Scottish Cup - Semi Final, Uefa Cup - Last 32

08/09: League - 4th, League Cup - 3rd Round, Scottish Cup - Quarter Final

I'm sorry but if that is SUCCESSFUL, then we can't hope for anything more. No real success. Forget a trophy win. Getting to the semis will do.

He did an OK job. Albeit better than Patterson, Aitken and McGhee, but he was not successful. He did not win anything.

Calderwood was given 5 years to build a side full of expensive players in the climate of the last 8-10 years. Patterson had to slash the wage budget before him and McGhee after him. Maybe there is a reason why Calderwood did better jobs than them...

Archived