Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Only Celtic could come out of a game where they got a last minute penalty and the opposing team had TWO players sent off to their one with the opinion that the ref was biased against them.

EDIT: Buba what is that supposed to be?!

If you watch more than the last six minutes of the match then you could understand why a lot of Celtic supporters left the game with that impression.

Gavin Skelton was given free reign to kick Paddy McCourt and James Forrest up and down the park. When he committed two fouls in the space of a few seconds down in the corner flag and got nothing more than a talking to, you knew he wasn't going to see a yellow card for the rest of the game. That's what made Forrest's sending off for his first tackle of the game all the more incredible.

The offside at the Hamilton goal was clear as day. Given that this is the primary duty of an assistant referee it's pretty scandalous that this was missed.

Niall McGinn booked for being fouled in the box etc, etc.

Last night was one of the worst refereeing displays I've witnessed in all my life of going to football. I have to wonder; if Neil Lennon is handed a six match ban as punishment for his mistakes, what kind of ban will Collum and co. receive for theirs last night? :rolleyes:

That said, referees or not, Celtic simply weren't good enough to win the game. Team selection was awful, the substitutions were baffling and the performance of the players was sub-standard. We just never looked like scoring. 67 minutes for a shot on target is going back to the dying days of Gordon Strachan's management. Piss-poor and two massive points dropped.

EDIT: For parity, Mensing's red card was a joke too.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only Celtic could come out of a game where they got a last minute penalty and the opposing team had TWO players sent off to their one with the opinion that the ref was biased against them.

What difference does the make? You deserve what you're due - getting a couple of correct and obvious calls benefitting you doesn't make the wrong ones insignificant. The officials couldn't possibly have awarded anything other than the last minute penalty, it was so blatant, and the red cards were pretty simple calls also, particularly the first after what he'd done to Forrest minutes earlier for a far less severe challenge. Granted, this rule of receiving a red card on top of a penalty is absolute bullshit and desperately needs to be changed, but at this moment that's the law.

I don't intend to make a big deal out of the officials performance last night, as my main annoyance is with Celtic and the charlatans who are somehow considered fit to wear the jersey these days, like McGinn, Wilson, and even invisible man Ledley despite the hype. At the end of the day, it's only Hamilton Accies and against teams like that, getting a couple of bad calls should be little more than a minor inconvenience which can be comfortably overcome, as your lot showed at St Mirren. But it's a daft comment. Unless the bad calls are evened up, plenty of fans of every team in the world would be shouting that the officials were against them after a performance like that last night

13012011194.jpg

13012011195.jpg

Not even a booking.

Then we have...

13012011200.jpg

13012011201.jpg

I'm not sure what planet this is classified as a red card on, but apparently a different rule applies to Celtic from other teams.

13012011202.jpg

13012011204.jpg

Then we have Niall McGinn being denied a penalty and booked for 'simulation' five minutes from time...

13012011216.jpg

13012011217.jpg

And this is what is required for Celtic to be awarded a penalty through gritted teeth...

13012011211.jpg

13012011212.jpg

Absolutely appalling refereeing performance. I thought Dougie Dougie Dougie was a bad referee, but Willie Collum appears to be taking that biscuit right from him. He is a wormy little fuck.

I'm the last person to come on here and have a go at referees but the performance of the officlas last night was poor. The offside decision is a shocker and I'd challenge anyone to find Tom Murphy making a similar mistake in the last 3 seasons. (The Boyd one at Motherwell was tight as was the McDonald one in the OF game before anybody starts)

The red cards baffled me. The tackle on Kayal was worthy of a red as was the one from the guy who came on as a sub and the one for the peanlty. For me James Forrest was unlucky. I think he was trying to stop the guy playing the ball and followed through and caught him. Reckless yes but not with excessive force. So for me that's two correct and two wrong on the red cards or possible red cards.

Nial McGinn's yellow was not merited as there was no dive or attempt to con the ref and in my view the player was tocuhed before the bal therefore it should have been a penalty. So that's one right and one wrong on the penalties.

Overall I think Willie Collum got 50% of the big decisions that were down to him correct. That's not good enough and he will probably know that when he gets his report from the supervisor.

It was quite a hilarious performance from the referee. If it was a team outside of the Old Firm ( or Airdrie United I suppose ), I'd have been pretty disappointed, but I never fail to be amused when it happens to Rangers or Celtic. Which means it's been a pretty good season to compliment the boring one Morton are having.

Some people have far too much time on their hands.

I was at the game last night you apologist fuck, I took these off a forum.

I suppose someone has to document the agenda frame-by-frame. It will be ignored by the Hun media anyway.

Do you want a medal? You still took the time to seek out the images and fire them all over here. Celtic are not the first club to get a raw deal by a referee and they won't be the last. You had 96+ minutes to beat Hamilton. A handful of refereeing decisions should not stop you.

Do you want a medal? You still took the time to seek out the images and fire them all over here.

And? I watched the game, and found the images to be quite interesting. If you don't want to look at them, feel free to scroll through them.

Celtic are not the first club to get a raw deal by a referee and they won't be the last. You had 96+ minutes to beat Hamilton. A handful of refereeing decisions should not stop you.

I may be wrong, but has Soapy said that the ref was the reason why they didn't beat Hamilton? Or has he just highlighted some truly appalling officiating?

Archived