Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Re. this stupid playoff proposal, is it any wonder the game up here's in such a mess when these sort of brain-dead loonballs are actually running clubs.

It's one of the silliest, most ill-thought out ideas i've ever heard, and only shows these clowns up for the joke-figues they are.

It comes as no surprise to learn that this Thompson character appears to be the driver behind it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that this ridiculous Championship play-off suggestion will ever come to anything, but last season's fourth-placed team (Hibernian on 54 points) finished closer to the bottom club (Falkirk on 31 points) than they did to the Champions (Rangers on 87 points). If these clubs are seriously suggesting that the fourth-placed team should be allowed win the title in a two match playoff, will they also propose that they should participate in a relegation play-off too, seeing as they finish closer to relegation than they do to winning the title?

Anyway, I noticed that Steven Thompson's quotes were interpreted differently in yesterday's Herald than they were in The Sun.

The Herald reported the much more sensible proposal by Mr. Thompson that the teams finishing below first and second - ie. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th - play-off for the Europa League slots.

Why is that any better? Still stupid. You deserve to finish where you finish. What if say Hibs had 7 players out injured and a goalkeeper suspended. Meanwhile, Hearts have everyone fit, despite finishing 15 points behind them. Think play-offs in Scottish football are a joke. A ten team league (take the second division) you've got four teams at the top with a chance of a play-off and two at bottom not. More than half the league could be in a play-off, its daft to me.

• Paid Members
Are Celtic not really wanting to win the league this year? Only I can't see why they keep throwing away their games in hand.

No desire on the pitch, Lennon was such a sore loser that I thought it'd rub off on the players, apparently not.

Steven Naismith signs with Rangers 'til 2015. Very pleased with that as I think he's really come into his own this season, and in truth (assuming he stays fit) if one asked me to choose between Miller and Naismith signing a new contract, I'd have to go with the latter due to his potential - hard to remember he is only 24!

• Paid Members
Again I've no idea whether this is true or not, but he can't have done that badly overall as we qualified for Europe.

You're an Aberdeen fan right? How can you not remember that embarrassing run towards the end of his tenure? Also, Redweb has all the results from the last 10 or so seasons!

Also to your point about the "little" he had to spend...

In his 5 years he nearly spent a quarter of a million on transfer fees.

Steve Lovell -

• Paid Members

You took your time to reply on that one! You must be really bored without AFChat are you?! ;)

There is no point arguing with Ron Simmons about Calderwood. No matter what evidence you show him he is one of the "JiG" crew who because of the European run forget how shit the football actually was under Jimmy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12067964

Nice lad.

This, though, has to be my favourite bit:

It is understood they were alerted by Ultimo lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone.

So when I post a story about Rangers, I'm "obsessed", but it's a-okay for you to post a story about a Celtic "player".

Anyways. Mulgrew should be fucking done and have his wean taken off him by social services. I still don't like how Michelle Mone (what a horrible cunt of a woman she is, by the way) posting the whole thing on Twitter, creating episodic drama to get her name in the papers once again.

Archived