Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I know this may be a silly question, but haven't you got anyone coming into the first team from the youth setup this season?

At Fir Park we always have one or two lads making the jump every season.

oh we have plenty, however walter hates using the youth team, if it wasn't for the injury to boogie then wilson wouldn't have got his start against unirea. fleck, shinnie, wilson, effren, furman and lennon should have broken through ages ago. :angry:

so i ask, what's the point in having murray park? we don't blood youngsters.

Shinnie is an average First Division player, trust me, having seen him regularly in the first, he doesn't stand out.

Efrem was quality, but he fooked off to Cyprus when you wouldnt offer him a new deal.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this may be a silly question, but haven't you got anyone coming into the first team from the youth setup this season?

oh we have plenty, however walter hates using the youth team, if it wasn't for the injury to boogie then wilson wouldn't have got his start against unirea. fleck, shinnie, wilson, effren, furman and lennon should have broken through ages ago. :angry:

Shinnie is an average First Division player, trust me, having seen him regularly in the first, he doesn't stand out.

Efrem was quality, but he fooked off to Cyprus when you wouldnt offer him a new deal.

When Furman was at Bradford (admittedly we're in league 2) he looked absolutely class, a cut above. I'm sure he will become a star - i'm not sure how he's doing over at Oldham in league 1 though.

I bet Haraga rubbed himself silly at seeing his beloved Morton score tweleve goals. :laugh:

The pre-season friendlies for juniors started on Saturday. Ardeer lost our first game 7-0 against Clydebank at a neutral venue. I didnt make it there as I got lost trying to find the pitch and ended up in the pub.

We have home friendlies against Kilwinning Rangers, Cross Keys & Johnstone Burgh coming up as well. The Cross Keys are a pub team so if we cant beat them we are in an even worse state than normal.

Zaluska surely won't be too content if you go signing someone to be your new #1 surely? I'm sure he didn't come to Celtic to benchwarm for the rest of his tenure, and he's been an SPL first choice at Dundee Utd before.

Yeah, he wants to be number 1 and personally I think he's good enough to be it.

• Paid Members
I just don't think John Fleck is all that he's cracked up to be, you know. He certainly had the quality to be fantastic, but he strikes me as one of these players who thinks he's already 'made it' just because he's played half a season in the first team; someone needs to give him a kick up his lazy arse. Danny Wilson didn't have that problem because we basically threw him in at the deep end without any hype, and sure enough he played exceptionally well.

I'd like us to use some of our youth guys - I'm sure they're perfectly competent, especially the likes of Kind Bendiksen and co - but like buba3d says, Walter hates using young guys. Barry Ferguson may have gotten his start under Wattie, but there were far more that just didn't get a look in that could've been good (Darren Fitzgerald is one I'll never forget for some reason).

That's the reason Walter Smith stopped playing John Fleck in the first-team, because he started to develop a massive ego. There were reports of a verbal fight between John Fleck and managment.

Danny Wilson is amazing on Football Manager. As we know that's a great way to judge a players ability.

Neil Lennon considers goalkeeper David James to be the perfect replacement for Artur Boruc and hopes to convince the England player to sign for Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/8840948.stm

Why is Lennon going for the old out of contract players when there is a good enough goalkeeper there in Zaluska? And with James you know he will be asking for over the top wages. I havn't saw any the pre season games, anybody see how Cervi was in goals?

Neil Lennon considers goalkeeper David James to be the perfect replacement for Artur Boruc and hopes to convince the England player to sign for Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/8840948.stm

Why is Lennon going for the old out of contract players when there is a good enough goalkeeper there in Zaluska? And with James you know he will be asking for over the top wages. I havn't saw any the pre season games, anybody see how Cervi was in goals?

He's not had much to do. Philadelphia and Seattle never created many chances and Zaluska played great against Man UTD making two cracking saves.

I don't think any manager hates using young players to be honest. Time and time again you will hear managers at any level stating that the jump from youth and reserve football to the 1st team is massive and there are so many factors to take into consideration. You used to always hear people saying about how certain players caught the eye in reserve or youth team games on a consistent basis yet never got a chance in the first team - i've done it myself at Pars games - and are always left wondering why. The managers see these guys day in, day out on a consistent basis and know what they are talking about between watching them and getting reports from the coaches. A good indicator i often find is looking at these guys who you always thought were amazing at the time and never got a chance two or three years after they eventually get released. More often than not they have dropped out of senior football all together or are playing part-time or well down the lower leagues.

Put in context for Rangers i always remember seeing Moses Ashikodi name popping up on Rangers TV or in the paper, he seemingly scored one or two every reserve game and was a standout whenever you saw him. I don't think he ever got a game for the first team - granted there was probably a lot of players in front of him at the time - and he was released and subsequently dropped off the radar and is now playing in the conference i believe.

Rocco Quinn and Paul Lawson together in the middle of the park were outstanding not once but three or four times i saw them play for Celtic four or five years ago in the reserves. They are now playing at a decent level with Q.O.S and Ross County respectively in the first division but back then i'd have thought one of them at least would have made it at Celtic.

Archived