Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morton have signed two French lads who's names have escaped me, but they both played as trialists on Saturday against Bristol Rovers.

One of them is a midfielder and is the most exciting player I've seen at Cappielow in a very long time. He seems like one of them players who get the ball and the fans are on the edge waiting for him to do something. The other is a striker with blistering pace and a cracking eye for a pass. Two good signings.

Morton have signed two French lads who's names have escaped me, but they both played as trialists on Saturday against Bristol Rovers.

It's midfielder Fouad Bachirov and striker Tarik Bengelloun according to the Daily Record.

Both on one year deals it would seem.

You know the new season is upon us when we get the Tam Cowan blogs again;

This time last year Motherwell fans were predicting relegation and thinking about a spot of bungee jumping (minus the ropes) after getting pumped at New Broomfield by a Welsh male voice choir.

So I'll take a 1-0 Europa League win against Icelandic side Breidablik any day of the week, thanks very much.

Favourites to lift the trophy next May - probably - we could have strolled to victory by half a dozen goals, of course. But with a few seats still to fill on the fans' charter Craig "Baldrick" Brown cunningly settled for 1-0 to keep the tie interesting.

(That WAS the plan, Craig, right?)

To be honest the teams were evenly balanced on Thursday night. Motherwell went for a blend of youth and experience and Breidablik opted for a blend of amateur and semi-professional.

But I'm confident we'll win comfortably in Iceland as I can exclusively reveal that half the Breidablik team are backshift and will miss the match.

My only real concern is the state of their pitch. After recent events in Iceland I understand they've got an ash park.

Still, I won't let the football get in the way of next week's Jolly Boys' Outing.

Some of the lads are talking about going clubbing but I couldn't do that to a baby seal.

And quite a few of my fellow Well fans keep talking about a trip to The Blue Lagoon but there's no way I'm travelling all that way for a fish supper.

Other local attractions? Well, according to my mate John, who travelled to Iceland when Gary Naysmith scored his last international goal for Scotland, the city of Reykjavik boasts - wait for it - a penis museum!

Wonder if it's twinned with The Dick Institute in Kilmarnock?

And would Gary Lineker get in free of charge?

Anyway, it will be worth a couple of quid at the door just to see if Fabio Capello is the curator...

Talking of money, if Motherwell do the business in Iceland we're now looking at a trip to Norway.

What an expensive doubleheader for any self-respecting bevvy merchant, eh?

I think Well fans should now make Glasgow Airport our local so we can acclimatise to the price of drink.

Fingers crossed, we play Aalesunds of Norway and we might have a wee advantage as they've apparently got an artificial playing surface.

Well, that's exactly how our lush Fir Park pitch was described by the Motherwell players on Thursday night...

Ps. A warning for all the Motherwell fans flying to Iceland on Wednesday morning, courtesy of regular reader John Leck.

It was reported this week that Paolo Nutini lost his ring in the first floor toilets at Glasgow Airport. So please be careful what you eat from the food outlets...

Pps. Talking of which, my bahookie was like the start of Bonanza this morning after trying my first ever beaver curry. It's like a normal curry, but a little otter...

I take it the Rangers fans have been watching the golf.

Well, it's their only chance of seeing Eagles.

The move for the Burnley reserve striker collapsed as Rangers couldn't meet the player's wage demands.

Apparently he was looking for 50 quid a week.

I'm not suggesting the crisis-hit Ibrox club are in a bit of a desperate state but I hear Gazza turned up at the stadium yesterday with chicken pieces, a can of lager and a fishing rod.

Looks like the Old Firm moving to England is finally happening. One player at a time. To Middlesbrough.

Surely it's now only a matter of time until Gordon Strachan makes a bid for Andy Cameron and Hoopy The Huddle Hound?

In fact, perhaps they should go the whole Kerry Katona and just rename Middlesbrough's ground the Riverclydeside Stadium.

Still, I guarantee Strachan won't be picking up the phone to enquire about any more Old Firm players.

Well, after offering

Allegedly Rangers have signed Marlon Harewood on a two year contract.

It's Nuno Capucho and Egil Ostenstad all over again.

I doubt they've even offered a contract. Honestly, Rangers, however much the fans and media may not accept it, are in the shitter and will sign a maximum of one or two players this season. Even then, the players will be on a minimal wage.

The transfer links are the same as the Andrew Ellis bid, a ploy to get people to renew or buy season tickets.

I doubt they've even offered a contract. Honestly, Rangers, however much the fans and media may not accept it, are in the shitter and will sign a maximum of one or two players this season. Even then, the players will be on a minimal wage.

The transfer links are the same as the Andrew Ellis bid, a ploy to get people to renew or buy season tickets.

One or two would still be better than the number of players we've signed in the last two years; i.e. none.

One or two would still be better than the number of players we've signed in the last two years; i.e. none.

I wonder what the reaction will be across the road if you invest sod all in players again, offload your top scorer and still win the league?

The old tim aloys will be thanking the great and the good that Walter is finally calling it a day I reckon.

I wonder what the reaction will be across the road if you invest sod all in players again, offload your top scorer and still win the league?

The old tim aloys will be thanking the great and the good that Walter is finally calling it a day I reckon.

There are miracles, and then there's what would happen if we do that. I don't think we need to buy as many people as we've let go, but if we literally buy nobody, we're screwed.

everybody knows we're in the shitter, the roumored 5 million kitty is bs because if thats true then as somebody pointed out on sky sports news, if you take into considderation that the money from the sales of thomson and wilson then it should be near 9 million, however its BS.

walter, slly and bain have all said we need to get players in because our squad is thin, walter said we need wingers (won't happen) walter al so says we need to bring in 1 or 2 faces (not gonna happen), smith also says nobody needs to be sold..........right. actions speak louder than words

I know this may be a silly question, but haven't you got anyone coming into the first team from the youth setup this season?

At Fir Park we always have one or two lads making the jump every season.

oh we have plenty, however walter hates using the youth team, if it wasn't for the injury to boogie then wilson wouldn't have got his start against unirea. fleck, shinnie, wilson, effren, furman and lennon should have broken through ages ago. :angry:

so i ask, what's the point in having murray park? we don't blood youngsters.

Well, there's the answer to your problems then.

Although it's most definately on a smaller scale, at Fir Park we lose players every season and have virtually no cash to replace them.

We bring in a few experienced heads on loan, and continue bringing boys up from the youth setup who can gain experience and move on for a decent fee later (unless your name's Slane and Celtic are involved, of course).

I hear Wilson has been shifted to Liverpool for a decent sum, which could rise to more dpending on his success at Anfield, and i've always heard good things about the lad Fleck.

Time to bring in some youngsters instead of pissing around with the likes of Marlon Harewood.

I just don't think John Fleck is all that he's cracked up to be, you know. He certainly had the quality to be fantastic, but he strikes me as one of these players who thinks he's already 'made it' just because he's played half a season in the first team; someone needs to give him a kick up his lazy arse. Danny Wilson didn't have that problem because we basically threw him in at the deep end without any hype, and sure enough he played exceptionally well.

I'd like us to use some of our youth guys - I'm sure they're perfectly competent, especially the likes of Kind Bendiksen and co - but like buba3d says, Walter hates using young guys. Barry Ferguson may have gotten his start under Wattie, but there were far more that just didn't get a look in that could've been good (Darren Fitzgerald is one I'll never forget for some reason).

Archived