Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

It's one of these things thats going to be more difficult than it sounds, but I need a new Celtic Researcher for Football Manager 2011.

If you're interested, sensible and also know a bit more than just the first team (a good knowledge of the u-19s and backroom staff would help), then get in touch.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously why are people saying he stuck around in the SPL. He went to fucking Barcelona and Man UTD...

That's as much as I read.

If you're going to continue with this "he played for Man Utd" nonsense then you're not even worth discussing the issue with.

He played for them thirteen fucking times.

Seriously why are people saying he stuck around in the SPL. He went to fucking Barcelona and Man UTD...

That's as much as I read.

If you're going to continue with this "he played for Man Utd" nonsense then you're not even worth discussing the issue with.

He played for them thirteen fucking times.

I don't care how much he played for them as I said. He still went to the top level which you claimed he didn't.

I don't care how much he played for them as I said. He still went to the top level which you claimed he didn't.

He went on loan during the Swedish close season, and played thirteen games.

That doesn't qualify him as a world class player playing at the highest level.

I repeat.

How is winning the Champions League, scoring 2 goals in a UEFA Cup final and scoring goals in World Cups not the top level? Please explain because that makes no sense.

Everything you're pointing out is answered by me in this post;

As for his record with Barca, he was there for two years, with a record of 16 games and 4 goals in his first season, and 42 games and 15 goals in his 2nd season.

All of which is pretty decent, of course. I'm by no means saying he was rubbish, but his record outside of the SPL doesn't scream "world class" to me.

You also mention that he went on to prove how good he was with Manchester United.

He played for them a total of 13 times.

I know he's a God among men as far as Celtic fans are concerned, and I fully expect the rest of the bhoys to come to his defence when they read my sacrilegious writings on the subject, but the simple fact is, one real season at Barca and a handful of games at Man Utd along with 7 years in the SPL and some seasons in Holland and Sweden don't put him into the world class bracket.

They put him into the very fucking good bracket though, that's for sure.

Everything you're pointing out is answered by me in this post;

As for his record with Barca, he was there for two years, with a record of 16 games and 4 goals in his first season, and 42 games and 15 goals in his 2nd season.

All of which is pretty decent, of course. I'm by no means saying he was rubbish, but his record outside of the SPL doesn't scream "world class" to me.

You also mention that he went on to prove how good he was with Manchester United.

He played for them a total of 13 times.

I know he's a God among men as far as Celtic fans are concerned, and I fully expect the rest of the bhoys to come to his defence when they read my sacrilegious writings on the subject, but the simple fact is, one real season at Barca and a handful of games at Man Utd along with 7 years in the SPL and some seasons in Holland and Sweden don't put him into the world class bracket.

They put him into the very fucking good bracket though, that's for sure.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I'm not questioning whether you think he's World Class or not. I'm question how you've come to the conclusion he didn't play at the top level.

He didn't play the very top level, so to call him "world class" is a farce.

I agree. The discussion isn't worth having. Larsson was top-class and that's it.

Agreed.

My original point was that whilst he was definately top class, he simply wasn't world class.

You're the voice of reason here Soapy, and i'd never have expected such a sensible view on the subject from a Celtic fan.

I agree. The discussion isn't worth having. Larsson was top-class and that's it.

Agreed.

My original point was that whilst he was definately top class, he simply wasn't world class.

You're the voice of reason here Soapy, and i'd never have expected such a sensible view on the subject from a Celtic fan.

I've gone off the original point aswell a bit obviously but to say he didn't play at the top level is a ludicrous statement when he played in a Champions League final, a UEFA Cup final and 2 World Cups.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I'm not questioning whether you think he's World Class or not. I'm question how you've come to the conclusion he didn't play at the top level.

Because the SPL isn't the top level, simple as that.

I don't count thirteen games on loan at Man Utd as him playing at the top level, and he wasn't any great shakes at Barca either, having went there too late in his career to make a real impact.

He played 16 games in his first season at Barca, and was usually a bench player the following season as well.

He has the record of a very good player, but not a world class one.

The term world class is reserved for players who play consistently at the top level and produce the goods on a regular basis.

Zidane, Maldini, Matthaus, Messi & Brazilian Ronaldo are all players who consistently performed at the top level, earning themselves the reputation of being world class.

To try and place Larsson with them is ridiculous.

I don't count thirteen games on loan at Man Utd as him playing at the top level, and he wasn't any great shakes at Barca either, having went there too late in his career to make a real impact.

He played 16 games in his first season at Barca, and was usually a bench player the following season as well.

The term world class is reserved for players who play consistently at the top level and produce the goods on a regular basis.

Zidane, Maldini, Matthaus, Messi & Brazilian Ronaldo are all players who consistently performed at the top level, earning themselves the reputation of being world class.

It's obvious we're not going to come to an agreement on the subject and doesn't really work in my favour to discuss it being a Celtic fan. At least we can agree Larsson was a great player. I don't think the SPL will see another player like him.

Anyway, onto this season, Efrain Juarez has passed a medical and joined up with Celtic on the American tour. Confirmed now by the Celtic website. I haven't seen much of him but of what I have, he has blistering pace and that is something we've been missing for a good few years now.

The only issue I had in the transfer thread FUM, was with this post;

Robbie Keane fair enough as I was just trying to suggest a more recent big name in the SPL but if you're claiming Henrik Larsson wasn't a World Class player it is you that is deluded.

You were setting yourself up for a fall posting that.

The only issue I had in the transfer thread FUM, was with this post;

Robbie Keane fair enough as I was just trying to suggest a more recent big name in the SPL but if you're claiming Henrik Larsson wasn't a World Class player it is you that is deluded.

You were setting yourself up for a fall posting that.

It's all opinion mate. Obviously, I may have a bit of bias, but I do feel he was a World Class player while he was around.

Just to pick you up on Larsson's first season at Barca, he played just about every game up until doing his cruciate in November.

It says a lot that despite not kicking a ball for the second half of the season they extended his contract.

Archived