Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I was going to go to the Motherwell Europa League tie but it's all-ticket so I'll likely give it a miss rather than head up early.

If you're travelling far i'd give it a miss, as it seems as though we are close to selling out(!!) the three home stands, and may have to open a few seats in the away end to handle bookings.

Basically, and I never thought i'd say this about Motherwell, there's a chance you'll not get a ticket.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm more surprised to learn that public indecency is an arrestable offence in Airdrie.

It's only hate crimes you get away with in Airdrie.

As for Motherwell's game tonight goes, I hope they don't have to go through the scares they went through last season before they went on to make easy work of it. Any of the legs being shown on TV ?

I was going to go to the Motherwell Europa League tie but it's all-ticket so I'll likely give it a miss rather than head up early.

If you're travelling far i'd give it a miss, as it seems as though we are close to selling out(!!) the three home stands, and may have to open a few seats in the away end to handle bookings.

Basically, and I never thought i'd say this about Motherwell, there's a chance you'll not get a ticket.

I've phoned up the ticket office as a precautiionary measure and they say that theres plenty of tickets still available for the match. A few of us have decided to make the trip now.

I've phoned up the ticket office as a precautiionary measure and they say that theres plenty of tickets still available for the match. A few of us have decided to make the trip now.

Good stuff!

When I went in the other day they told me the main stand is virtually full, with a few seats here & there, and that the east stand didn't have many choices left.

Looking back, it may have been seats reserved for season book holders to pick up if they wanted them.

If you're there early, get yourself to Jack Daniels pub just outside the stadium.

Celtic will play SC Braga in the Champions League qualifier.

Really pleased, think it's the most favourable draw we could have got. Was desperate to avoid Zenit and Dynamo Kiev, my heart was sinking the more it went on and neither us nor Zenit had been drawn yet.

If we advance, we will play one of:

Sevilla

Werder Bremen

Zenit St. Petersburg

Tottenham

Ajax

Really pleased, think it's the most favourable draw we could have got. Was desperate to avoid Zenit and Dynamo Kiev, my heart was sinking the more it went on and neither us nor Zenit had been drawn yet.

Sevilla

Werder Bremen

Zenit St. Petersburg

Tottenham

Ajax

Assuming of course Zenit and Ajax win their games too. We really got lucky this year with Sampdoria and Auxerre qualifying from Italy and France.

I don't know much about Braga but it seems to mainly be a team of Brazilians. They also have the beautifully named Quim in the quad.

• Paid Members

I think Braga are going to surprise a lot of Celtic fans suggesting that they are one of the easier ties they could have got. I saw them a lot last season and they are a very tidy outfit - very strong defensively and good on the counter-attack, and their midfield could well pass rings round you. I think they could easily win both legs.

I don't think anyone is taking Braga lightly in footballing terms, I just think everyone is relieved that we managed to avoid Zenit and Dynamo Kiev as all their players will be in prime condition and match-sharp due to their seasons being underway (well into the season in Russia's case).

It's maybe the old romantic in me, but I still believe we can beat anyone at Parkhead on our day - so hopefully we can keep it tight at the back in the away leg. I don't think the fixtures have been announced yet, being away first would be preferable.

Braga had an awesome home record last season, hardly conceded a goal and beat Benfica 2-0 and Porto 1-0 there. While arguably a more favourable draw than Fenerbahce, Zenit or Ajax they are by no means a formality, and I don't see any Celtic fans treating this tie that way. There is a reason Celtic are playing at this stage of the competition and that has to be remembered. In saying that, Braga are very similar to Celtic in that they are coming into the new season with an untested manager in Fernando Couto, and with the addition of one or two really good players alongside the likes of Ledley and Juarez, there's no reason why Celtic can't compete with Braga.

Sevilla

Werder Bremen

Zenit St. Petersburg

Tottenham

Ajax

I reckon it'll be a close tie between Celtic and Braga. I've been impressed by the signings Celtic have made so far and I think they'll have a good season but Braga will be tough opponents.

Europa League 3rd qualifying round draw;

Videoton/Maribor vs Hibernian

Aalesunds vs Motherwell/Breidablik

That's a game i'd fancy us to win providing we progress to the next round.

Apart from the start if the second half, Breidablik didnt do much in last nights game, and I'd also expect Motherwell to progress. Aalesund are a reasonable draw for the third round but I think they might have too much for Motherwell. They are 4th in the Tippeligaen at the moment so they must be a decent team. It looks like a lovely place for and away trip in Europe.

Hibs two potential opponents are beatable as well. I was surprised to discover Videoton got to the final in 1985, although I remember Maribor being decent 10 years ago.

• Paid Members
Why can't I find anything out about tonight's Utd/Celtic match except that Samaras scored a penalty?

Sky Sports News showed the goals at 8am. MUTV has extended hightlights if you want to see the rest.

It finished 3-1 to Man Utd.

Archived