THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

21 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I never get emails from the UKFF but just received one to say Ricky had posted in the Paige thread, a thread I'm not sure I've even ever posted in. That's weird.

Sounds like you're following the thread.

• Admin

Something went really wonky yesterday evening in the database and I wasn't able to get it stood back up until just now. I'll be working with invision to diagnose what happened as it's pretty odd. It bloated some tables on the DB and we ran out of disk space which corrupted things.

• Admin

We're running out of disk space and the next size up doubles the costs, so I'm trying to find ways of reducing the amount needed, and that may involve clearing out some old topics. Something really spun out of control on invision to cause it to bloat the DB though, so I think we should during normal operation have more headroom.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Moo said:

We're running out of disk space and the next size up doubles the costs, so I'm trying to find ways of reducing the amount needed

Move away from self-hosting images? That must eat space unnecessarily.

• Admin
Just now, Onyx2 said:

Move away from self-hosting images? That must eat space unnecessarily.

It's the DB that takes up the most space on the whole - the amount of self-hosted images is minuscule in comparison.

In this case it was a runaway indexing process that bloated a table which expanded the DB files on disk and subsequent backups. I'm speaking to invision about wtf happened there and will find a solution that avoids having to double the costs.

5 hours ago, Moo said:

It's the DB that takes up the most space on the whole - the amount of self-hosted images is minuscule in comparison.

In this case it was a runaway indexing process that bloated a table which expanded the DB files on disk and subsequent backups. I'm speaking to invision about wtf happened there and will find a solution that avoids having to double the costs.

Ooh, have the archived threads created images of the entire board at the time. Happened on another forum I was on and they ended up binning the lot, Effectively each archived thread was the forum written multiple times over and over, even though one thread was saved..

• Paid Members

Can anyone tell me how to put in spoiler tags please? I used the Code button and the usual HTML, as well as the forum's square bracket code, and all I seem to end up with is a box with the text running along in one line for ages.