Jericho's new one

Pain and Passion

NWA: The Untold Story

Wrestling at the Chase

Bruiser Brody - the Matysik one

The Death of WCW

Broken Harts (Martha Hart)

Sex, Lies and Headlocks

Any input on these ones or recommendations of similar? I'm also looking for other British books after reading 'The Wrestling' by Simon Garfield, which is brilliant by the way.

I've nearly finished Countdown to Lockdown. It really isn't worth your time for anyone who hasn't got it yet.

I had a flick through that at the library and went straight for the 'Magic Headphones' chapter. Maybe it's just me but I don't care about Lockdown, I wanted to find out the details on his WWE departure and exactly what Vince said to him to make him want to quit. Mick just writes

"Nonetheless, I'd like the actual content of the headphone head games to be left between Vince and myself, and between you and your imaginations"

NO!! That's one of the main things that could make the book interesting and he just sidesteps it.

In Jericho's new book, he writes word for word all the harsh things Vince said to him and it's fascinating to read. Foley should have done the same.

Jericho's new book is a top read. Even the chapters about his band are funny and engaging, and as has been alluded to the account of his relationship with Vince is very interesting. He makes him sound for all the world like a manipulative cunt, but Jericho still thinks the sun shines out of his arse by the end of the book.

• Paid Members

After finishing Bret's book this afternoon, it suddenly struck me that whilst there were obviously a million other things wrong with his Wrestlemania match with Vince, one of their main mistakes was in assuming everyone watching that match had read this book. After reading about how Owen's death pretty much tears them apart as a family, the storyline and eventual swerve of that match revolving around Bret's family finally made sense. Not that it saves it from being a terrible mess of a match, but at least it was understandable what they were trying to do psychology-wise. Still, whoever came to the conclusion that none of it needed to be explained and that everyone would already know about the family's issues by reading this book or otherwise is a fucking moron.

Great book though. Some really tragic stuff, but you're constantly kept from getting too emotional thanks to the truly Alan Partridge nature of how Bret writes, completely lacking in any type of irony or self deprecation. Ending the book with pot shots at Shawn and Hunter, before a final line about how he left with his head held high? I was half expecting a bonus chapter about how he got hooked on Toblerone and drove to Dundee in his bare feet.

Although needless to say, he had the last laugh.

Edited by Supremo

• Moderators
Ones I'm thinking of getting:

Jericho's new one

NWA: The Untold Story

The Death of WCW

Jericho's is great fun, especially his meetings with one of my favourite guys from a early 90s American Sitcom. He doesn't hold back talking about his run ins with Vince and HHH, and is like the Anti-Bret self-awareness wise. Top read.

I didn't mind the NWA book, but it's really one for enthusiasts of pre-70s wrestling and it's history, covering 1975-present in two chapters, so personally I didn't really get anything out of it.

The Death of WCW is absolutely awful. It combines the Idiocy of Alvarez with the Failed Humour of RD Reynolds, and mixes it in with factual inaccuracies, half truths, blatant lies, and the "Scott Keith Special" of presenting your opinion as fact. Also, there's a bad habit of not seeing the forest for the trees in their writing. A particular passage that stuck in my craw is how they lambasted the Sturgis crowd for booing into a 30 minute Benoit vs Malenko match like it's the worst thing anyone could do on earth ever, and ignoring the fact that the Sturgis crowd would annually boo all African-American wrestlers, including the faces. That's the kind of thing you can expect all through the book. It's poor to say the least.

• Paid Members
The Death of WCW is absolutely awful. It combines the Idiocy of Alvarez with the Failed Humour of RD Reynolds, and mixes it in with factual inaccuracies, half truths, blatant lies, and the "Scott Keith Special" of presenting your opinion as fact. Also, there's a bad habit of not seeing the forest for the trees in their writing. A particular passage that stuck in my craw is how they lambasted the Sturgis crowd for booing into a 30 minute Benoit vs Malenko match like it's the worst thing anyone could do on earth ever, and ignoring the fact that the Sturgis crowd would annually boo all African-American wrestlers, including the faces. That's the kind of thing you can expect all through the book. It's poor to say the least.

My favourite part's when they spend multiple pages mocking Scott Halls alcoholism, and saying he should've been fired when he keyed a car. Then later on in the book blast WCW for not making a big deal out of Eddies "heroic" return from a car crash, caused by him getting so fucked up that he fell asleep at the wheel.

You couldn't make it up.

• Paid Members

Just seen a review/promotion post on PWBTS.com for RW Animal's "The Road Warriors: Danger, Death and the Rush of Wrestling"

Being a huge LOD fan, I may get myself a copy of this.

Need to get hold of Jericho's new one, wrestling books seem to be my fave type of read as of late and this looks to be a cracker