Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

I'm about a quarter of the way through Jericho's book, and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed so far. Don't get me wrong, it is entertaining and well written, but so far contains too much for my liking about Fozzy and the music side of things, and not enough about wrestling. Obviously these are only my preferences and others may not be bothered about this, but for those who are expecting a pure wrestling book, it isn't shaping up like that so far....

It was never intended to be a "pure wrestling book" - it's an autobiography of his entire life, and as such he will talk about other things he did before/during his wrestling career.

I never said it was - hence saying these are my tastes, and that others might not be bothered by my gripes. However, I'm sure there are others out there, especially following the first book, who would buy the book expecting it to be a wrestling one, and if so, I'm giving them a heads up that it's not entirely the case.

I am struggling to think of a wrestling autobiography that doesn't cover things like childhood etc.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Jericho's book, and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed so far. Don't get me wrong, it is entertaining and well written, but so far contains too much for my liking about Fozzy and the music side of things, and not enough about wrestling. Obviously these are only my preferences and others may not be bothered about this, but for those who are expecting a pure wrestling book, it isn't shaping up like that so far....

Uh oh, that's the big thing that lessened my enjoyment of Foley's books after the first one, going off on too many non-wrestling chapters. I'd hope Jericho's music business stuff is more interesting than reading about Mick's charity works though.

It was never intended to be a "pure wrestling book" - it's an autobiography of his entire life, and as such he will talk about other things he did before/during his wrestling career.

I never said it was - hence saying these are my tastes, and that others might not be bothered by my gripes. However, I'm sure there are others out there, especially following the first book, who would buy the book expecting it to be a wrestling one, and if so, I'm giving them a heads up that it's not entirely the case.

I am struggling to think of a wrestling autobiography that doesn't cover things like childhood etc.

Childhood is all part and parcel. All builds up to the "achieving the dream" aspect. But in wrestling autobiography sequels, there's a danger of the book being "so I lived the dream, then I went and did this other stuff that you wrestling fans probably won't find as interesting."

Edited by King Pitcos

What's that got to do with anything?

Uh oh, that's the big thing that lessened my enjoyment of Foley's books after the first one, going off on too many non-wrestling chapters. I'd hope Jericho's music business stuff is more interesting than reading about Mick's charity works though.

*Shudders at recollection of chapters from 'Foley is Good' on Mick Foley's favourite theme park rides

My point is you want a wrestling autobiography to talk SOLELY about Wrestling. Good luck with that.

My point is you want a wrestling autobiography to talk SOLELY about Wrestling. Good luck with that.

As per PITCOS's reply to your point, I clearly didn't mean that in my original post.

hey all

I am combining a blatent plug for these books for sale on ebay (please search for seller lolly3333) with a star rating system as unfortunately I just dont have the time to review them all! All marks are out of 5*s :)

Hardbacks:

Chyna: If They Only Knew ***

The Rock Says by The Rock and Joe Layden ***

Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches by Oliver Hurley ***

Hollywood Hulk Hogan by Hulk Hogan w/ Michael Jan Friedman **

To Be The Man by Ric Flair w/ Keith Elliot Greenberg ***

Foley Is Good (And The Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling) by Mick Foley *****

Hitman by Bret Hart ** (sorry Bret!)

Paperbacks:

The Stone Cold Truth by Steve Austin w/ Dennis Brent **

Mankind: Have A Nice Day by Mick Foley *****

The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez ****

World Wrestling Insanity: The Decline and Fall of a Family Empire by James Guttman ***

The Rise and Fall of ECW by Thom Loverro ***

Bodyslams by Gary Michael Cappetta ***

Turning The Tables: The Story of Extreme Championship Wrestling by John Lister ****

Wrestling Babylon: Piledriving Tales of Drugs, Sex, Death and Scandal by Irvin Muchnick ****

Benoit- Essays by S Johnson, H McCoy, I Muchnick and G Oliver ***

Pure Dynamite by Tom 'Dynamite Kid' Billington ****

Are We There Yet? Tales From The Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstas by Robert Caprio ****

The following have already sold but figured I'd give my star rating to them anyway (just to contribute to the thread and make up for my shameless plug!)

A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho *****

Wrestling's Sinking Ship: What Happens To An Industry With No Competition by Ian Hamilton ****

Sex, Lies and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon & the World Wrestling Federation by Shaun Assael and Mike Mooneyham *****

Slamthology: Collected Wrestling Writings 1991-2004 by John Lister ***

Wrestlecrap: True Stories of the World's Maddest Wrestlers by RD Reynolds and Randy Baer **

Cheating Death, Stealing Life by Eddie Guerrero w/ Michael Krugman ****

See No Evil (Novelization) by Dan Madigan NO STARS!

Journey In To Darkness by Michael Chiappetta *

If I had to pick my top three recommendations they would be (in no particular order) A Lion's Tale, Have A Nice Day and Sex Lies and Headlocks.

BTW, Journey Into darkness for those that haven't heard of it is the fictional tale of how Kane supposedly became Kane and is interesting really for the whole 'biographies featuring childhoods/kayfabe' debate that has come up. Personally I didn't like how the story was written but would be interesting to see if any more are written in the future that attempt to explain the back story of some of the more out there characters as it is an interesting concept.

Happy reading (and bidding hopefully!)