Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

I haven't read Brody, but Drawing Heat, The Hard Way by the same author, was a great read. He had a total hard-on for Brody throughout that book mind, so it struck me that the biography would be a massive blow job piece. Is it?

How could you not enjoy Have a Nice Day?

Its the blueprint for fantastic wrestling books.

He was 4 when it came out though. Neither of Foley's first two hold up half as well as it seemed they would, I don't think. Partly because at the time, I believed he was as big a megastar as he did. Thinking that really complimented the books. Now, I see him more as the top piggybacker of a big era, and they read like he's an egotistical bastard. As well as that, the PTC essay that makes up half the second book (which was topical and interesting at the time) has lost a lot of its luster and reeks of a fat sycophant scoping a job for life with Vince.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I've gone off Foley in general, but up till a few of years ago, I'd blast through Have a Nice Day and Foley is Good probably more than once a year each, but now I can't do that. Personally, I think Bret's (and to a lesser extent, Jericho's) will stand as the defining autobiographies.

I haven't read Brody, but Drawing Heat, The Hard Way by the same author, was a great read. He had a total hard-on for Brody throughout that book mind, so it struck me that the biography would be a massive blow job piece. Is it?

Didnt come across that way when I read it. Probably helped that it was done with Brody's widow. Some great stories in there too

There are two reasons for this thread.

1. I have just ordered a few books and was wondering if anyone else had read them.

2. Im looking for ideas as to what to get next after I've read these ones.

Ok I have ordered the following books on amazon:

1. Walking a golden mile - William Regal (wanted to read this one for a while)

2. Bobby The Brain Hennan - Wrestling's Bad Boy Tells All

3. Turning the Tables

4. Dungeon of Death

5. Missy Hyatt - First Lady of Wrestling

6. Main Event - WWE in the raging 80's

Has anyone read any of those and if so what are your thoughts?

Secondly after working my way through is there any titles anyone would say are must reads. I already have the following:

Foley's 3

Bret's

Jericho's

Flair's

Hogan's first

Eddie's

Michaels'

Angle's

Rise and Fall of ECW

Funk's

The Rock's

Kane's

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I've read most of the above

also recommend

Jerry Lawler's

Baptista's

Ted Dibiase's

Lita's

Edge's

Of the ones you've ordered, I've only read Regal's and it's very good. By far the best of the ghostwritten wrestling autobiographies I've read.

For other suggestions, I think the Death of WCW is a decent read, and the Hardy Boyz book is alright, though it seems like a straight transcript at times from an interview with them so from memory a lot of it is Matt telling a story and then Jeff saying "Yeah, absolutely, it was awesome, man" or some other line that seems a bit redundant for an autobiography.

I really enjoyed the death of WCW as well - very factual and interesting !!!

painandpassion.jpg

This is the one of the best wrestling books I've ever read, certainly the best non-autobiography. There's a lot of books on Stampede considering it was never a particularly well-reknowned territory at the time it was running, I don't think the Apter mags even acknowledged it until it's rebirth in the late 80s. I wish there were books as comprehensive as this one about some of the other territories.

Has anyone read the new Vince Russo book on his time with WCW? I'm in two minds about ordering it from amazon. The one unfavourable review on there (which describes it as 'the worst wrestling book ever written) has strangely made me want to read it more, due to this quote:

Strangely, he stops every four or five pages to praise either God, or Disco Inferno without any explanation.