Dragon Gate UK : Shingo v Yokosuka 2 DVD Released!

Mark Sloan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad luck Mark.....

Story of my life! But luckly for you guys that is more time to do work on the shows!

No video for Tyson, if he wasn't the baddest poster on the planet, maybe there would have been videos for all. But there is always one!

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate Invasion UK: SHINGO vs Yokosuka 2 - Broxbourne, Herts - 10/9/10

Some of my live thoughts on this caused some debate, I was still eager for the DVD though, and now it's here...

IPW:UK Tag Team Championship - The All Stars defeat The Leaders in 16:50 to become the new IPW:UK Tag Team Champions - Well, there's a lot to comment on watching this one back, that's for sure. Broxbourne looks great, the venue is lit wonderfully. At the time, I was disappointed by this match. On DVD, I was pleasantly surprised - to start with. The early parts of the match are really good, especially the early singles exchanges between first Zack Sabre Jr and Mikey Whiplash, then Marty Scurll and Robbie Dynamite. The All Stars then start getting heat on Zack, both with their actions and words. Towards the end of the match though, they focus less on the characters and more on attempting Dragon Gate style sequences, which doesn't feel natural. The Leaders look to have the match won with See Ya L8R, but it gets broken up in a way that isn't caught very clearly on camera. Robbie Dynamite then destroys Marty with a brainbuster on the apron, whch gets a big "Oooh" from the crowd, but when they then hit a double team Zack for the title change, there's barely a reaction. It's a solid match overall, but it didn't achieve it's potential on the night. Still, the rematches in IPW:UK (and those were clearly in the planning) were satisfying...

The DVD intro to the main show, with footage from last year then the line-up for this show, is TREMEMDOUS.

Cyber Kong beat Joey Hayes in 8:19 - Having first watched the bonus match with footage from all three cameras, it was a bit of a shock to the system when, after we got footage of the entrances, there was only hard cam footage for the match itself. The reasons have been covered in depth, and you have to feel for the efforts of all those involved in the show when things like this happen. The match does what you'd expect really - Joey is good in his role, especially as it had to be tough to be in the underdog face position when the crowd was behind the DG star. I wish Joey made more southern excursions, actually.

Mark Haskins beat Lion Kid in 16:30 - I wrote a lot about this back in September. The crowd reactions -while I never said they were a cauldron of hate or anything- aren't great. Plus, "put him in the bin" may have been topical at the time, but no joke is funny on the third, fourth or fifth time in one sixteen minute match. Ugh. As much as I liked the in-ring side of this one at the time, the DVD playback reinforces my thoughts it went a tad too long. The match is still pretty good though, building nicely with a good clean finish for Haskins. It just would have been better if it had been condensed a little. The ringside cameras come back into use for the last ten minutes of this one, which is nice.

SHINGO beat Susumu Yokosuka in 21:18 - Man, the thought of a tie-breaker between these two is mouthwatering. I was meaning to watch the Oxford match again before this to refresh my memory, but off the top of my head the only things I can nitpick about this rematch are SHINGO getting his win back here feeling slightly inevitable, and Cyber Kong distracting Chris Roberts overshadowing the action here and there. Oh, and it appears that the final few seconds and post-match reaction to this are back to hard cam only. Bummer. A worthy sequel, if not quite at the level of the first...

Naruki Doi defeated YAMATO in 19:36 - I'd completely forgotten how much I enjoyed this one in the time since the live show, and boy is this one right up my alley. It's different to SHINGO/Yokosuka too - the analogy that comes to mind is it's like Doi/Danielson compared to SHINGO/Richards at DGUSA Open The Untouchable Gate- more mat-based and less overkill on the brutality, but still building to a cracking Bakatare-Doi 555-Bakatare combo for the finish. A sweet match.

Pac, BxB Hulk and Masato Yoshino defeated Masaaki Mochizuki, CIMA and Dragon Kid in 20:31 - Live, I thought this was my match of the night, and having watched it back a couple of times now... I have to stand by my assessment. I think I've seen more insane action from DG six-man matches, but the character work here is excellent, with it being a joy to cheer World-1 and Pac in particular to victory. Just great stuff all round.

Overall - a cracking live event becomes a really good DVD of top-notch wrestling lovingly pieced back together by Mark Sloan and his crew. Props to Stew Allen for his solo commentary work too, which is knowledgable and enjoyable to listen to, and is laid over the action without compromising the crowd audio or blatantly sounding like a studio post-production as ROH often is. Main show DVD run time is 2 hours, 9 minutes, and you get the pre-show match on top of that...

• 1 month later...
I'm amazed that the original Shingo/Yokosuka match was as fantastic as it was given that the commentator said at the start of the rematch that Shingo worked their last bout with a severe case of the flu.

Shingo is a machine!!!

I second that! That man is the best you will ever see!

Best Laptops 2010

The six man from the Shingo/Yokosuka II show reminds me of the one in Spain. It's pretty good, but I'm not the biggest fan of it. The final stretch felt very "controlled" if ya know what I mean? The action is still great though. The other match I'm not a fan of is Kong/Hayes. It felt like it was an awfully long match considering that it was basically a squash.

I think Shingo/Yokosuka II might be even better than their first match. Doi/YAMATO was fantastic as well and the bonus tag match was nice.

Special mention for Lion Kid/Haskins, for putting on a good match in amongst what can only be described as a much of morons acting like morons. Not as good as the match where Kid beat Haskins, but what is?

• 3 weeks later...
Quite frankly,it would have taken having The Assassin one side, his mental sister/lover the other, and that fat bloke who smells of cheese in front to have even started to ruin this show for me.

When it concerns The Assassin and his sister, that's exactly what it is, brother and sister, NOT lovers as you seem to (in your sick mind) believe. The sister is not mental, just going through a rough life no thanks to a certain ex-brother of hers who is currently in prison, and some people (like Dave Lovell and his co.) who don't even have any decency to admit they were wrong to back the ex-brother after being told about him in the first place. As for The Assassin, despite proving he was telling the truth all along, he still has a bunch of bullies pointing the finger at him. Totally uncalled for, and totally out of line.

So before you go making assumptions like that, get your facts right first, at least some people have the common sense to get to know people properly first before passing judgement. Which is more than what I can say for some people it seems.

Archived