Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vito

UKFF Music Project

Recommended Posts

There also a famous compilation of all the best drum breaks called All The Breaks vol. 1, 2 & 3. You can quite easily find a .zip file on the internet. Give me a shout if you struggle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake I decided to learn and do my own Surf style cover of the original Chocobo Theme. Right proper ear worm but always thought it would make a good surf tune:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 32 and decided to pick up my wife's old guitar yesterday. It's an Gibson Epiphone Junior Model that she hasn't played since she was a teenager, and it's been collecting dust for the better part of 15 years. So instead of throwing it out or giving it away, this 32 year old who has never picked up an instrument before in his life thought it would be easy to learn a few chords and thus play almost any song ever written.

Boy was I wrong. I looked at a couple of YouTube starter guitar lessons but I just cannot get my hands in the correct chord position without my fingers muting other strings or finding the spot correctly. I'll strum the strings individually to find the error and fix it, but that causes another string nearby to be altered. Repeat process. It's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if my late start means my hands have developed to a point where it's impossible to contort to those chord positions correctly.

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

Edited by Accident Prone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm 32 and decided to pick up my wife's old guitar yesterday. It's an Gibson Epiphone Junior Model that she hasn't played since she was a teenager, and it's been collecting dust for the better part of 15 years. So instead of throwing it out or giving it away, this 32 year old who has never picked up an instrument before in his life thought it would be easy to learn a few chords and thus play almost any song ever written.

Boy was I wrong. I looked at a couple of YouTube starter guitar lessons but I just cannot get my hands in the correct chord position without my fingers muting other strings or finding the spot correctly. I'll strum the strings individually to find the error and fix it, but that causes another string nearby to be altered. Repeat process. It's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if my late start means my hands have developed to a point where it's impossible to contort to those chord positions correctly.

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

It's not your age. It's how everyone is when they first start. Just practice, practice, practice. It'll become much easier with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's not your age. It's how everyone is when they first start. Just practice, practice, practice. It'll become much easier with time.

Thanks. We'll see how it goes. I was too arrogant to think that I could just pick up a few chords in a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

Well I guess that is growing up.

I let the kids loose on Soundtrap and my 10yo has made a summer house Banger. As soon as I can upload it, I will.

The 7yo made a trap beat, with her sampling herself saying "Hip Hop, Hippity Hop". I've never been prouder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah nice. I can imagine that must be very satisfying. Obviously my daughter is much younger but loves it when I pull her step ladder up to my decks and let her do some scratching, or dig through a box of 45s and put some stuff on. I don't let her use the tone arm yet, but she can take records on and off, flip them and start and stop and she gets a real kick out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah nice. I can imagine that must be very satisfying. Obviously my daughter is much younger but loves it when I pull her step ladder up to my decks and let her do some scratching, or dig through a box of 45s and put some stuff on. I don't let her use the tone arm yet, but she can take records on and off, flip them and start and stop and she gets a real kick out of it. 

That's awesome. They get some musicality from Mum who played drums, and they got an acoustic guitar so they're both learning that.

Then the youngest said she wanted a drum set, and now she's asking for decks, so their Mum said she'll teach them drums and I can teach them on the decks.

Now, I know how to beat juggle and scratch basically (shout out my old DJ group, Crewcuts: Twickenhams Finest 2001), but I reckon I'd be lost on a modern set and wouldn't have a clue. Some of the stuff I see people doing with Serato blows my mind, so will have to figure out what to get her if she's serious about it.

The most satisfying thing was that when she was making the "song" she meticulously listened to all the samples, beats and directed how she wanted it to sound. Was lovely.

As an aside, I used to love scratching with 45s. I had the 7" of Eye Know, and the B Side, which I think was Mack Daddy On The Left, had the nicest little tone to scratch and fuck around with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 6:09 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

For anyone who wants it, Spitfire are giving away free copies of the BBC Orchestra sample library - you have to fill in the survey and you'll get it in two weeks.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

 

I finally got around to having a play with this - it's really fun!! I think you can still pick it up for free. Here's the thing I made to play around with it.

 

 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers. The vocal and the drums are samples in the traditional sense, and all the instrumentation is played in on virtual instruments using a midi keyboard (all the strings and horns and woodwind come from the aforementioned BBC Symphony Orchestra plugin, and the piano is a different instrument).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...