UKFF Music Project

Vito

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

For anyone that's in the process of learning to play the guitar, Dweezil Zappa's given out a code that gives 3 months unlimited access to a site of lessons.

Go to Truefire.com/spark and use the code "DWEEZILROCKS"

Job's a good 'un. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Been going through some old music recently, stuff that I did as a teenager and there's a lot that's really, really awful. In amongst them though are some decent ones that I didn't do anything with as I didn't finish them, so I connected up the old gear and sorted a few of them out.

So enjoyable was it using the old set-up again, that for shits and giggles I thought I'd have a go at writing something new using it, and see how crap it sounds to 2017 ears.

Against the odds, I fucking love what I came up with.

A reasonable quality Korean made budget Strat copy, through a 20 year old Zoom multi-effects and directly into a four-track, and an Atari ST connected to what is probably the lowest spec sound module ever made (it was designed more for use with DOS games, and only has 12-bit sound quality).

Literally the only difference between then and now is that back then the sound would have degraded into muffled, hissy mush as I recorded and rerecorded and rerecorded until the tape lost the will to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75QRuGaSyM

This is also the first time I've ever done anything of note with the Japanese hirajoshi scale.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Digging up this old thread because I've just released a new EP of Instrumental Folk Guitar music. (I promise it's more interesting than it sounds.) And you old bastards are still the longest standing internet community I have ever been a part of (holy christ 15 years nearly!) so I wanted to share it with you.

I make lot's of different kinds of music, usually just for a laugh, but this one is my most personal bits of work I've ever done and I'm kinda proud of it, which is rare for me.

https://andyramone.bandcamp.com/album/folkd

You can also find my previous EP which is instrumental Surf music on that there bandcamp page.

Should also be on Spotify and Apple Music to stream.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, Chilly McFreeze said:

You can also find my previous EP which is instrumental Surf music....

Fucking yes!

Folk'd sounded good too, but I must confess that I got a bit excited and jumped to Surf'd before Alvarez Boogie had even finished.

Surf'd is now downloaded and being added to the music library.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Hey Folks.

i have an acoustic guitar that I’ve never learned to play.

Just wondering if anybody can reccomend a good beginners book to learn off of?

Or can you reccomend any good YouTube tutorials for idiots like me ?

thanks 

I learnt way before the internet was a thing in my house, so I can't vouch for any personally, but i hear a lot of good things about www.justinguitar.com

1 hour ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

but i hear a lot of good things about www.justinguitar.com

+1 for that. 

As with Chilly, I learnt before things were so readily available online but Justin is great with easily digestible lessons, lot of players these days seem to credit his videos as a big help. 

• Paid Members
On 8/24/2018 at 1:06 AM, Chilly McFreeze said:

Digging up this old thread because I've just released a new EP of Instrumental Folk Guitar music. (I promise it's more interesting than it sounds.) And you old bastards are still the longest standing internet community I have ever been a part of (holy christ 15 years nearly!) so I wanted to share it with you.

I make lot's of different kinds of music, usually just for a laugh, but this one is my most personal bits of work I've ever done and I'm kinda proud of it, which is rare for me.

https://andyramone.bandcamp.com/album/folkd

You can also find my previous EP which is instrumental Surf music on that there bandcamp page.

Should also be on Spotify and Apple Music to stream.

Just had a listen, and I like it a lot! Good stuff! 

I didn't think there were many other people on here than myself who did folk.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:25 AM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Been going through some old music recently, stuff that I did as a teenager and there's a lot that's really, really awful. In amongst them though are some decent ones that I didn't do anything with as I didn't finish them, so I connected up the old gear and sorted a few of them out.

So enjoyable was it using the old set-up again, that for shits and giggles I thought I'd have a go at writing something new using it, and see how crap it sounds to 2017 ears.

Against the odds, I fucking love what I came up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75QRuGaSyM

If you'd asked me two years ago what the chances of playing this stuff live in front of an audience was, I'd have said that it was so close to nil that it wasn't even worth considering.

Well, somehow this happened....

The video cuts off immediately after it ends, but it got a great reaction from the audience and the organiser said "I don't care what you're called*, that was fucking awesome!"

There's a slight botch around the 1:15 mark as I didn't hear the cymbals that cue me in, but that's me nitpicking and overall I'm super happy with it.

*I didn't have a band name prepared, so they announced me as Eight Legged Sex Machine.

• 11 months later...

So as I alluded to in the what play you thread, I recently got a beef laptop and a Roland JD-XI to get into music production as a hobby. 

It's such a fun machine. My thing is basically downtempo electronica, the more ambient side of trance, spacey stuff etc. I'm recording straight into FL Studio for slight edits and mixing, but ultimately trying to do everything on the synth itself because it's got a four track sequencer  - two digital synths, an analogue and drums - that you can fleece some pretty wild production off if you're all in on it. 

Best thing about using just the JD is everything more or less sounds well mixed right off the bat. I've not properly learned that side of things yet, and it's far harder when you have 15 digital instruments all thrown in the pot on a DAW. 

This is strictly a hobby, but I've got three tracks in the can so far and I'm going to try and do 2-3 more a month from here on out. I'm passing the branding of everything off as a legitimate department of the Irish government, and all, but one would assume I'm under the radar enough to get away with it. 

Any feedback/advice etc welcome. I don't have any personal social medias to shout this shit off on so it's pretty much the UKFF, my mum and seeing where it goes on Soundcloud and YouTube.