Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Thanks Jim. It’s basically just for Horiguchi vs Asakura 2 but I haven’t been this arsed about a Japanese New Year’s Eve card for a good few years. There’s a chance we might have all been a bit premature on the FOTY talk if these two are coming in on top form. 

• Paid Members

I said it was just Horiguchi-Asakura 2 pulling me in but looking at the full card now there’s Tenshin, Gomi, Tokoro, Minowa. It’s not mega stacked or anything and I think it could’ve done with one proper barmy freakshow to fulfil that tradition of the Japanese NYE shows. But between the banger of a main event and a few guys I like on the undercard, it’s not bad.

310DAED7-377E-4572-8E2A-21D2C62125E8.jpeg

@wandshogun09

By no means is this essential viewing, but this Confessions episode previews some of the undercard fights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsueW9sOUc&t=164s&ab_channel=RIZINFIGHTINGFEDERATION

Anyway, I've got this sinking feeling that Kyoji is going to get wrecked again. I am watching this tomorrow evening, so I will be avoiding spoilers throughout the day. Just like old times when I used to have to avoid spoilers for UFC and Pride shows. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Anyone catch any of Rizin then? Horiguchi got his revenge in spectacular fashion.

319B10C0-4320-48F7-8852-794B66C567BA.gif

Returns the favour with a first round knockout and reclaims the belt. Jim will be happy. No doubt there’ll be a rubber match somewhere down the line.

Gomi won! Wasn’t an amazing fight but his jab looked good and he got the decision. Tokoro won as well which was nice. Minowa got battered though.

There was also this...

FA33FB1E-1198-4DC3-8F0F-E3A3BC3A4CFF.gif

Apparently he’s some YouTube star. Saw people calling him the ‘Japanese Jake Paul’ and stuff. He did actually score a knockdown at one point, to be fair. Ended as a draw. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Only just managed to watch it. I had trouble gaining access to the full card. Thankfully I somehow managed to avoid spoliers. 

I think this will be my screensaver for a while. 

EqkabWpXAAgGabB?format=jpg&name=large

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Jim will be happy

I thought of you when Tokoro armbarred Ota 😉

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Apparently he’s some YouTube star. Saw people calling him the ‘Japanese Jake Paul’ and stuff. He did actually score a knockdown at one point, to be fair. Ended as a draw. 

Trigg loved calling that fight, didn't he? 😄

On 1/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, wandshogun09 said:

It was actually overturned after, as when reviewing the tape Hiroya tapped when he had an armbar on and the ref missed it. Was pretty crazy.

Loved seeing Horiguchi get the win back and end the year as champion. Looked great in there. The Gomi fight was way more fun than I thought it was going to be tbh. Really good. Tenshin put on a show again, just so much fun to watch.

Just noticed all the fights are up on Youtube now. If anyones interested in catching up, despite seeing results in here. - https://www.youtube.com/c/RIZINFIGHTINGFEDERATION/videos

Edited by Ross18

I've seen a few on Twitter argue, quite reasonably mind, that they rate Horiguchi highly based on eye-test, more so than his resume. Yet, his best wins since leaving the UFC are actually very impressive:

Manel Kape: At worst a top 20 BW, probably knocking on the door of the division's top 10. Kyoji absolutely dominated him. 

Kai Asakura: At worst a top 20 BW, probably knocking on the door of the division's top 10. Kyoji had few issues with him in their rematch. 

Darrion Caldwell: A massive BW and a stylistic nightmare for Kyoji. Yet, Kyoji beat him twice, the first time via submission, the second time via decision.

Before the Asakura loss in August of 2019 and the absence that followed, he was by some experts' accounts a top 20 p4p fighter, and arguably top 10. The worry was that he would never be the same after his knee surgery and thus unable to reach those heights again, but other than some slight pain when he moves around, he appears to be back to his old self. I genuinely believe that he's one of the best active fighters in the world, only bested by the very elite such as Izzy, Usman and Volkanovski. It's a shame that he won't be fighting Figueiredo and Yan the two best fighters in his weightclasses, in the near future to prove my hypothesis correct beyond doubt, but I will say that I would favour him over Figgy and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he beat Yan either. 

For now, it looks like he will stay at bantamweight. Brown believes that the extra muscle he puts on to fight at 135lbs actually makes him a more powerful striker at bantamweight while fighting bigger men than at 125lbs where he fights men of similar size. He'll probably fight next on Rizin's show at the Tokyo Dome in March, with Bellator BW Champion Juan Archuleta and Rizin BW Naoki Inoue as potential opponents. 

Sign me up for either of those fights!

Edited by jimufctna24

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Reug Reug fights in One Championship this Friday, it'll be free on youtube as usual. He's fighting the big roided up kickboxer that Vitor Belfort was meant to be debuting against, Alain Ngalani

EsaaP3GWMAAktrq.thumb.jpg.40e411057aa663a3b5dfc8cb31218589.jpg

Also from April, One will be airing live shows on TNT in America straight after AEW Dynamite on a Wednesday night. The first of which will be the card Mighty Mouse & Eddie Alvarez fight on:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Vitaly Bigdash III is some name! 

For anyone who’s got Box Nation as well, tomorrow’s ONE show is live on there from 12:30pm. I rarely bother with ONE but I’ll definitely be watching that card in April. Can’t miss a DJ or Alvarez fight.