Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The final Rizin New Years Eve lineup is here:

http://www.thescrap.co/rizin-20-final-fights-revealed-cb-dolloway-returns-for-title-fight/?utm_campaign=twi

its actually a different show to the Bellator Japan show which happens two days earlier on the 29th (which will be my New Years Eve viewing sorted). Theres a few Bellator crossovers on the Rizin show too. Lacks a freakshow fight though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

there's some new African/European promotion airing on Fight Pass this Saturday. Seeing alot being made online about the debut of heavyweight Reug Reug. He's a Senegalese Wrestling Champion (one of those weird sports that gets shared about from time to time) and he looks abit of a unit.

Gonna have to try and catch his fight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

PFL Championships tonight. I follow PFL from a distance but with the Rory MacDonald signing im expecting a big push from them in 2020. Tonight card has 6 title fights, all with a $1 million pound prize for the winner. Its mental that the 6 winners here will take home a considerable amount more cash than most UFC fighters.

champ-header.jpg

The show is free to air on facebook if anyones interested, it'll be on demand too all from this link:

https://www.facebook.com/PFLmmaLive/videos/2391261324449043/?sfnsn=scwspmo&extid=0IVy1P6oHJpxPg1S

Kayla Harrison vs. Larissa Pacheco - Female 155lb Final

David Michaud vs. Ray Cooper III - 170lb Final

Ali Isaev vs. Jared Rosholt - 265lb Final

Natan Schulte vs. Loik Radzhabov - 155lb Final

Lance Palmer vs. Alex Gilpin - 135lb Final

Emiliano Sordi vs. Jordan Johnson

• Paid Members

I can't see how the finances for this PFL thing work. I wouldn't be overly surprised if McDonald is the start of a last push to see if they can make some headway before it all goes crumbling down. I don't expect ESPN are paying them much, and their gates are dreadful. One of their last Vegas shows was said to have done about a $15, 000 gate (three shows in a week were around 150k, 70k and then the big drop off). 

I hope for the fighters sake that there is an investor behind it willing to sink a substantial amount of capital in for a long period of time without getting worried, as with each season they continue to offer these huge payoffs, and it becomes known that there isn't a catch, they'll start attracting more fighters with name value (like Rory) and then more general interest. Then they might end up sustainable and viable. 

I'd be interested in them building up over another year and then trying to work a co-promotion with Bellator on a Cyborg Vs Harrison fight. That could make some money and capture some interest. Their art department is already producing better posters than the UFC if the one above is anything to go by. 

• Paid Members

I followed PFL on twitter as it happened, sounded decent. There seems to be a lot of complaints about the roster though in terms of having generally boring fighters. Lance Palmer being the guy most point at, the guys just won his second $1million prize in a tow though and signed a contract extension, hes loving life. Kayla Harrison won her second tournament and made statements that she's by far the highest paid female fighter in MMA. Everything you read talks about the money being thrown around.

Nice to see Ray Cooper III win his tournament though, thats a guy who brings it. Lots of fun to watch. Probably see him tussle with Rory this year.

Announced that Johnny Case has signed with them for this year too off the back of his Rizin run.

Im determined to follow it closely this year.

Rizin 20 was commercial flop in Japan. It was lowest rated of any show the promotion has ran on NYE. The promotion apparently knew the show was destined to bomb, and accordingly scaled back their presentation as a cost cutting measure. For example, there was no opening ceremony.

It's a shame, because from what I have seen, it was a brilliant show. Kape vs Asakura was a fun brawl with an unexpected result. The Lightweight GP final was also very entertaining, with both fighters having their moments before Musaev took over in the third round to steal the fight. Jiri Prochazka and Patrick Mix finished their opponents early and in decisive fashion, yet both were briefly under the cosh. Mix was briefly tangled up in a submission before turning the tables and securing a submission of his own. Whereas Prochazka was sliced up by calf kicks before knocking Dollaway limp a left hook. Tenshin Nasukawa also looked terrifying, taking apart what was meant to be his toughest kickboxing opponent to date in less than 3 minutes. 

I probably won't watch a Rizin event again until my beloved Horiguchi returns later in the year. But they do put on some really good shows, which sadly get lost in the shuffle. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Quick question @Egg Shen

Why did Palmer fight the same guy 3 times in 7 months? 

Surely there is something wrong with the PFL's format if a fighter can beat a guy twice in the space of 5 months and then be forced to fight him again only 2 months later.

I don't know the ins and outs of why it was Alex Gilpin that was selected and how much notice they had to find a new oppoent for Palmer (hopefully Egg can help there) but the original opponent, Pineda, failed a drug test and PFL needed a replacement. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/12/31/21045035/pfl-10-results-kayla-harrison-dominates-ray-cooper-iii-punches-way-to-1m-prize