Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Same, to be fair. Sakuraba's got no knees and Shamrock's been out of the game forever. It was never going to be much in 2017. But from the sounds of it it was even worse than you'd think. My brother watched it and said they just stood there slapping each others' hands away the whole time. Don't think they actually even did anything on the mat. 

• Paid Members

Gerald Harris retired last night and did so in appropriate fashion...

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/videos/video-ufc-veteran-gerald-harris-forces-gruesome-arm-break-huge-slam/

I can't remember the details but i recall Gerald Harris' UFC release being really controversial. He was seen as the next big thing at Middleweight and was then released after a single loss to Maiquel Falcao, anyone remember the details?

• Paid Members

It was a weird fight. Not very exciting and the only exciting bits were from Falcao's offence if I remember right. 

That actually ended up being both guys' last fight in the UFC. Although Falcao was scheduled to fight again but then all that controversy came up about him hitting or shoving a woman or something and he ended up being released. 

There must have been more to the Gerald Harris release that I'm forgetting though because I recall him being on a good run before that Falcao fight, including that slam KO on David Branch which I remember being on one of the bigger PPV cards back then (forget which without checking). He looked like a beast as well. That was an odd release looking back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

if anyone's wanting some fights before the crazy weekend coming up...

The Professional Fighters League has a show tonight. Not really sure what to make of the promotion anymore, they changed names, lost 3 of their champions to the UFC and are holding only their 3rd show of the year. Regardless the lineup is actually pretty solid and features a couple of the best fighters the PFL have left. What's more, we can see it. The show free on the Fite App/Website and yotube i think and is only a 4 fight  card, so it should be a breezy couple of hours action.

PFL_Fight_Night_Feature3.jpg

Blagoi Ivanov vs. Caio Alencar

Lance Palmer vs. Steven Siler

Mike Kyle vs. Daniel Gallemore

Timer Valiev vs. Josenaldo Silva

Two heavyweight fights, Ivanov is a bit of a curiosity. Came into MMA with huge hype as the guy who'd beaten Fedor in Sambo (back when it meant something to beat Fedor), came into MMA and showed glimpses of what he could be capable of. He's 15-1 but id really like to see him make a move to the UFC, he remains one of the better Heavyweights outside of the promotion. Don't know anything about Alencar other than he knocked out Jared Rosholt in a minute last time out, so that instantly makes him alright with this board.

Lance Palmer is like the black sheep of Alpha Male. Not because he's a twat or anything, but he's one of the top fighters in the team yet finds himself locked into a contract with WSOF/PFL. He was the other guy you'd have expected to make the move along with Gaethje, Brach and Moraes but he's stayed put and then lost his last fight. Siler's got a bit of a journeyman status these days but he's game so it should be a good one.

Being a longtime MMA fan has taught me one thing...never sleep on a Mike Kyle fight, something crazy usually happens whether good, bad or weird.

Should be worth your time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

one for the Pride fans...Kazayuki Fujita is fighting in Road FC this morning. He's fighting the massive sumo fighter Aorigele. Fujita was a favorite of mine back in the day, one tough muthafucker.

Road FC's youtube breaks down the shows into individual fights quickly after shows if you just wanna catch one fight.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading up about the Askren fight, and came across this tweet from Tim Sylvia:

Tim Sylvia
He seems to be at the very top of the game anybody know why he retired. Never seems to take any damage. He reminds me of the old @matthughes9x before someone told him he had stand up &ruined him. Best GNP in the biz

I found the 2nd to last sentence very interesting. Obviously, Sylvia is far from the gospel, but it's an interesting perspective. I wonder who Tim is referring to as "ruining" Hughes. 

Anyway, Askren says he'll only make a comeback: "for 1 more fight for #1". Make of that what you will. It probably means a shot at the UFC or Bellator title holders. Title shots he's probably not going to get. Unless my memory escapes me, Askren is the only elite level fighter in modern MMA history to not fight in the UFC; with the obvious exception of Fedor and Arona. Whatever some may think about Askren, it feels like a shame that he never had a stint with Zuffa. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

My guess on who Sylvia's referring to would be Matt Pena. Might be wrong but Pena was Hughes' boxing coach for a fair chunk of his career so I'd assume that's who Timmy's on about.

Pena was Lawler's boxing coach as well but stepped away after the epic second Lawler vs Rory fight a couple of years back. He seemed to be heavily involved in a lot of the ex Miletich guys boxing development. I remember him being part of Jens Pulver's coaching staff on TUF 5 as well, because BJ Penn hated him and confronted him at one point on the show. Maybe there's heat with Sylvia and Pena from the Miletich days? 

That makes sense.

From memory, I can't really see where Sylvia is coming from. Hughes was never going to out-grapple a prime GSP; so those losses weren't down to Hughes needlessly trading leather. Hughes wrestled against Lytle, and netted an easy decision. Alves was just a monster in 2008, and Hughes had nothing for him. If Koscheck couldn't get anything going in the grappling stakes against Alves, then it's unlikely that Hughes could have.

Penn blitzed him in 21 seconds before he had a chance to get going. Penn was always a bad match-up for him; his cardio won him the 2nd fight more than anything. He dropped Almedia before subbing him. He was pretty shot when he fought Koscheck, and that would have been a nightmare style match-up for him even in his prime; in fact his hands might have been his best weapon in that scenario. 

Edited by jimufctna24