Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

It's a little late, but I haven't seen it mentioned and it should be. Titan FC 45 (August 18th) was a fairly good show for the first half; the first five fights all ended in the first round, so they whizz by. But the highlight was in the first fight of the night, as it featured the nastiest looking armbar we've seen in a long time, and perhaps the nastiest ever. If you remember the Steve Cantwell/Razak Al-Hassan armbar from the first Tribute to the Troops show, that was nasty, but it pales in comparison this one. There is a gif below, but you probably don't want to eat before watching it.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/25/16199046/mma-judo-black-belt-executes-brutal-armbar-titan-fc-45-news

• Paid Members

yeh i saw that pop up on facebook, horrible stuff.

I've really fallen out with the promotions outside of the UFC and Bellator which is a bit of a shame, ive had Fight Pass since Titan joined and i still haven't seen a show :(

• Paid Members

Same Ebb. Although I'm even worse, I barely keep up with Bellator either these days unless it's something must-see. Just not enough hours in the day for me these days. I'll catch the odd Cage Warriors on BT, or even ACB or whatever it's called that Box Nation shows but I've really slipped in my non-UFC MMA watching over the last few years. Between my daughter, work and the increase in the UFC schedule I just about keep up with UFC and Boxing now. 

• Paid Members

Ben Askren defends his One Championship title tonight, don't wanna bang on about it's a shame he isn't in the UFC anymore because it's the same story every time he fights but he's one of the few guys that draws my eyes to One. He's fighting this bloke...

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Zebaztian-Kadestam-84857

ben-askren-840x480.jpg

• Paid Members

Was gonna say. This Kadestam guy's record isn't very inspiring, I'm left wondering why he gets a title shot in the first place; he's 2-2 in his last four matches. One FC's WW division must be pretty sparse.

13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Was gonna say. This Kadestam guy's record isn't very inspiring, I'm left wondering why he gets a title shot in the first place; he's 2-2 in his last four matches. One FC's WW division must be pretty sparse.

Nate Diaz is 2-2 in his last four matches and people want him to face Conor for the belt next. It should be obvious that actually winning fights means next to fuck all any more. It's all about hype, chatting shit and throwing water bottles.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, David said:

Nate Diaz is 2-2 in his last four matches and people want him to face Conor for the belt next. It should be obvious that actually winning fights means next to fuck all any more. It's all about hype, chatting shit and throwing water bottles.

I know you weren't saying that about me, but to clarify, I don't want Diaz facing Conor for the belt. All of the trash-talk and hijinks in the world wouldn't convince me of it, simply because of the attitude the Diaz brothers seem to have towards getting fights: they want the money fights, but they don't want to fight to get those money fights. Conor may get fights because of his trash-talking, but let's be fair: it's not like he comes out of nowhere to get them - he's at least earned them. He beat a lot of people to get the Aldo fight, and was undefeated in his entire run in the UFC up to the Diaz match, and he got his LW title shot because he was FW champion - sure, the trash-talk made it faster, but he still earned the shots. And even though he lost to Diaz, he avenged the loss, which could be said to be the next best thing to being undefeated.

Neither Diaz, however, fights often enough to earn anything, in my book.

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

All of the trash-talk and hijinks in the world wouldn't convince me of it, simply because of the attitude the Diaz brothers seem to have towards getting fights: they want the money fights, but they don't want to fight to get those money fights.

I’ve never been a fan of the Diaz Brothers because they always look to blame other people for their own failings and steadfastly refuse to admit their own culpability. And they bitch all the time. They bitch about not getting paid what they want, but then turn down fights left and right; you’d think someone would clue them in that fighting once in a while would help with that, but that wouldn’t play into their victim mentality. They bitch when decisions don’t go their way and insist the judging was fixed, because it couldn’t possibly because they genuinely lost the fight. They bitch about the drug testing policy, but then around and complain that everyone is on drugs; if you don’t like that people are on drugs, then don’t moan about the procedures in place to curtail drug use.

If Nate and Nick channeled their bitching and incessant need to play the victim into fighting, they’d be world champions.

• Paid Members

I didnt see it, but Askren dominated again and got the stoppage. He's gonna face Shinya Aoki next in some kind of open weight mismatch then he's retiring to take some executive job with One. 

Surely the greatest case of 'what if?' if MMA history?

• Paid Members

Definitely. Even moreso than Ricardo Arona for me because at least we did actually get to see Arona against some of the elite fighters of his era like Wanderlei, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo, Fedor etc. With Askren we'll always wonder how a fight with GSP or Lawler or Woodley or Hendricks or Maia or Rory and so on would go. Fair play to him for doing his thing but from a fans POV it's a shame. 

• Paid Members

yeh Arona was mixing with the big boys during his run, he was just always the one guy from Pride who never really got to show what he could do once the company folded...still he could have been another Paulo Filho.