Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Just read about the Sandro signing on Junkie. Great signing for Bellator, but kinda surprised that the UFC didn't pick him up, especially with their recent acquisition of Jorge Santiago.

he trains with Aldo & Nunes, so that was probably the reason, Hioki wants to join the UFC according to Josh Gross and Dream's Miyata as an announcement soon, so he will probably be going stateside as well. RIP JMMA :(

• Paid Members

boqkmjiessbxidx.20110215170101.jpg

Season 4 Welterweight Quarterfinals

Lyman Good vs. Chris Lozano

Rick Hawn vs. Jimmy Wallhead

Jay Hieron vs. Anthony Lapsley

Dan Hornbuckle vs. Brent Weedman

This is on Saturday people!! i don't think it's aired on MTV over here but don't let that stop you checking it out. I really think Bellator's gonna deliver this year, the shows are gonna be longer (4 fights instead of 3), the talentpool is getting deeper, the superfigths are gonna be better...it's gonna be some good shit!

• Paid Members

MAIN CARD:

* Chris Lozano (170.6 lbs.) vs. Lyman Good (170.8 lbs.) @ 170 lbs.

* Anthony Lapsley (170.8 lbs.) vs. Jay Hieron (170.8 lbs.) @ 170 lbs.

* Jim Wallhead (170 lbs.) vs. Rick Hawn (170.6 lbs.) @ 170 lbs.

* Brent Weedman (169.4 lbs.) vs. Dan Hornbuckle (170 lbs.) @ 170 lbs.

UNDERCARD:

* Waachiim Spirtwolf (173.4 lbs.) vs. Jaime Jara (174.4 lbs.) @ 175 lbs.

* Josh Herrick (145.2 lbs.) vs. Brandon Bender (146.4 lbs.) @ 145 lbs.

* Karina Hallinan (124 lbs.) vs. Zoila Frausto (125.6 lbs.) @ 125 lbs.

* Jesus Castro (135 lbs.) vs. Paul Ruiz (134.8 lbs.) @ 135 lbs.

• Paid Members

anyone see 35? it was a decent start to the season, 3 very close competitive fights that never really looked like were ever being close to being finished made the whole thing feel a little deadlocked...Lazano/Good was the fight of the night. Ja Hieron's fight got stopped prematurely too in a very weird submission finish that Josh Rosenthal completely ballsed up.

But apparently the un-aired fight between Jaime Jara and Spiritwolf was one of the bloodiest fights in MMA history, Bjorn Rebney said they are gonna put it on youtube because its unlikely that MTV2 will air it. I wanna see!!

• Paid Members

well, where i mentioned that Bellator 35 was a little bit of a stale night as the fights were all kinda close without any of them really catching fire, Bellator 36 was the complete opposite...a fantastic night of fights!

Imada/Shockley - If anyone needs proof as to why it's not-wise to slam your way out of an armbar...check this. Shockley tried to slam his way out and ended up with a dislocated elbow/broken arm for his troubles, his arm was bent the wrong way, harsh. You do not want Toby Imada grabbing any limb, that muthafucker is dangerous.

Woodard/Vanier - the script regualrly gets thrown out at Bellator. Woodard was the rank outsider in the tournament and the buildup led us to believe that this was a bit of a coming out party for Vanier since his teaming up with Jacksons. Woodard came out like a little beast though, aggresive and showing some great takedown defence and balance. Vanier did not enjoy this standing and finally sucumbed to a brutal short left hand in round 2, Woodard was all over him after than and sealed the deal. Exciting fight. Woodard is my kind of fighter, he has a decent set of skills but you can just tell that at heart he's a fighter. He's the kind of guy i'd always tune in to watch.

Chandler/Held - Michael Chandler is one of the most hyped fighters in MMA, rightfully so. The guy is a big 155'er and he displays some devastating power. He got caught early here in knee bar which he somehow got out of and then he started to lay down some brutal ground and pound, total dominance and a frightening head and arm choke which relied as much on power as it did technique. Chandler is gonna be hard to beat.

Freire/McCullough - Another great litte fight. For a round the older Pitbull looked like a world-beater, dropping Razor standing and looking slick on the ground. He then took his foot off the gas though and let McCullough back in the bout, the 2nd round was close possibly going to Razor so it was all on round 3. I actually think Razor Rob was on his way to stealing a decision until he got flattened by a bomb of a right hand, crazy KO. Pitbull rolls on.

Bellator also showed a prelim and fitted the Jara/Spiritwolf fight from last week into the broadcast (which was a fun, bloody fight but not the classic i think everyone had hoped)...great job by Bellator.

Really was an excellent show, i recommed it. The 4 semi-finalist all got me excited. It's really hard to call a winner in this thing, every guy brings something unique to preceedings.

Bellator are doing a great job of discovering talent, many of the guys who go in as favourites in these tournaments are getting blown away by these up and comers that the promotion are discovering. Great stuff.

I hope they set up a Rob McCullough/Roger Huerta superfight somewhere down the line too, that would be a great watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Eddie Alvarez on UFC

"I want to be someone so I have some sort of leverage I don't want to be the next disposable 155-pounder who can be thrown out the window if he has a loss or two. I want to make myself indispensable and make a name for myself before I ever negotiate with a company like [the UFC].

I'm one of the top paid 155ers in the world. I don't know if anybody knows that, but now you do. I can't tell my three kids, 'Hey, daddy's going to take a shot and take a risk and take a paycut and hopefully I make it. It's got to be more than that for me. I got to secure myself and secure my family.

I'm going to do the right thing to become No. 1. That's one of my main concern, but it's also to protect my financial security with my family too."

• Paid Members
On the weekend that we saw the first Twister submission in a main promotion, we were also graced with the second Inverted Triangle submission, and it came in Bellator again. Enjoy!

Yeah I couldn't believe that. What's the chances? I guess lightning really can strike twice in the same place :) and for 2 of the rarest submissions to happen on the same night is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator again this Saturday...last week's show was excellent so im pumped for this!

Ben Askren vs. Nick Thompson - Non-Title Superfight

Jay Hieron vs. Brent Wiedman - WW Tournament Semi-Final

Michael Chandler vs. Lloyd Woodard - LW Tournament Semi-Final

the show is only advertising 3 bouts as the 4th featuring Brit Ronnie Mann fell through, they are gonna air one of the prelims if they get chance.

Can't see Hieron and Chandler having many problems getting through, i think both men will go on and win their respective tournaments.

The Askren/Thompson fight could be good, i'm intrigued to know how it'll be percieved if the champion loses one of these superfights, so far they've come through with flying colours but its bound to happen at some point...to Bellator's credit they don't match these guys up with bums either (which they could do), but i do think they are smart when making the matches. Askren's claiming Thompson is over the hill which may be true, but Askren could get caught if he aint careful, Thompson's got so much experience that it could play in his favour.

Edited by Ebb