Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, im excited for this one.

When you get two fucking monsters in there it's always fun and intriguing so the main event's gonna be a good one.

Konrad has looked horrible but because of the hype im still excited to watch him fight, im pretty sure Lloret is a submission specialst so this could be an interesting clash of styles.

Zoila Frausto is always fun to watch, so that'll be cool.

also on here is Dan Hornbuckle/Brad Blackburn!

gonna be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Joe Soto/Joe Warren this week, probably one of the most anticipated fights in Bellator and the first to really signify what the promotion's about. Season 1 winner and champ vs. Season 2 winnner.

Joe Warren is a guy i'll watch to see lose and i'm hoping Soto can pull it off.

• Paid Members

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

once again Joe Warren gets absolutely battered early but comes back to win. He got absolutely lit up on the feet in round 1, Soto landed everything but Soto got waaaaay to cocky, you could see it in face that he thought he could finish this at any time. Round 2, Warren drops Soto early after clipping Soto (aint sure if it was a slip), lays in some g&p, Soto gets up and gets smashed with an absolute brutal knee, Soto was out.

to go from one of the most one sides opening rounds imaginable to turning it around right at the beginning of round 2...wow.

Joe Warren is annoying and i want to see him lose, but fucking props! Cocky fucker did alright.

• 1 month later...

Well, I suppose it was going to happen at some point, but I didn't think this was the fight where we'd see Megumi Fujii lose her 100% win record.

Her fight with Zoila Frausto for the 115lbs belt was confusing, as she never went for a single takedown in the first three frames.

Why she would choose to stand on the outside and trade with someone who was much bigger and had a longer reach than her is anyone's guess.

Hector Lombard is an absolute machine. He went five rounds in his fight with Shlemenko and looked impressive, especially in the earlier rounds.

Also, has anyone been keeping up with the talk of Bellator/Strikeforce co-promotions? Sherdog had this article last week regarding the idea;

With a potential bout between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez a hot topic in recent weeks, Bellator has begun calling out additional Strikeforce champions as well.

Bellator middleweight champion Hector Lombard outpointed Alexander Shlemenko in the promotion

• Paid Members
Well, I suppose it was going to happen at some point, but I didn't think this was the fight where we'd see Megumi Fujii lose her 100% win record.

Her fight with Zoila Frausto for the 115lbs belt was confusing, as she never went for a single takedown in the first three frames.

Why she would choose to stand on the outside and trade with someone who was much bigger and had a longer reach than her is anyone's guess.

Hector Lombard is an absolute machine. He went five rounds in his fight with Shlemenko and looked impressive, especially in the earlier rounds.

I was surprised she stood with Zoila too.Why risk it standing with Zoila when she has a great big weakness in her ground game? I think Fujii could've tapped her out pretty quick if she'd have stuck to a grappling approach.

And Hector Lombard is awesome.He's one of the main reasons I really wanna see the SF/Bellator co-promotion happen.He's running out of guys to beat in Bellator and SF's 185 division is probably their best weight class.It would give Lombard a ton of new fights vs Jacare,Lawler,Cung Le,Lindland,Mayhem and Babalu (if he fights at 185).

• Paid Members
Coker's not going to let his only credible fighters get in there with guys he doesn't control. Nor should he, from a smart promoter's perspective.

I agree it's not a smart business move but was the deal with DREAM that different to this? I know DREAM's a bigger company than Bellator but it still involved putting Coker's guys in with the likes of Aoki,Manhoef,Zaromskis etc.I know the results went their way as it turned out but did SF have that much to gain by doing that?

And Coker can't really stop a lot of his roster fighting guys he doesn't control anyway because a lot of them have non exclusive contracts.Overeem's their heavyweight champ but he could fight in Japan and lose to someone who's not even under contract to Strikeforce.

I don't disagree with the point you're making but whether it's a good business move or not these are fights that people wanna see so it's up to them to find a way to make it happen,I don't care how I just wanna see the fights :)

Edited by wandshogun09

I submitted a column touching on this actually. In the DREAM case, they have access to these fighters by virtue of an agreement to share fighters. If Aoki beat Melendez, there was the possibility to bring him back.... what am I talking about? Scott Coker's thinking like an old-school promoter and that's good but Strikeforce are fucked anyway because of CBS/Showtime and that UFC just made the biggest landgrab ever.

• Paid Members

Overall, a disappointing season for me. There were a few highlights, and Bellator XXXIII was my favourite show, but there was too much mediocrity and it all felt very flat. If they can't strike a deal with Strikeforce, they might not return for another season because I'm sure they're losing neat sums of money and there are no signs that'll change anytime soon. If they do call it a day, they have a good six/eight guys who can go elsewhere and be quite competitive, and Lombard, Askren and Conrad are the three I think UFC would be most interested (the latter not so much because he's really good, but rather because he's mates with Brock and that's just the way these things work sometimes).

• Paid Members

yeh, the season had it's moments.

Joe Warren & Ben Askren's title wins will go down as some of the best MMA moments of the year for me, then there was Huerta/Alvarez, Hector Lomard wrecking fools, Kole Konrad's manboobs, all good stuff.

I love the concept of Bellator though, i really hope they can stick around...i found that when the previous seasons winners were getting their title shots this time around it all started to click. They've already started stacking up the 155lb roster for next season so it looks like it's still gonna be running.

Edited by Ebb

Overall, a disappointing season for me. There were a few highlights, and Bellator XXXIII was my favourite show, but there was too much mediocrity and it all felt very flat. If they can't strike a deal with Strikeforce, they might not return for another season because I'm sure they're losing neat sums of money and there are no signs that'll change anytime soon. If they do call it a day, they have a good six/eight guys who can go elsewhere and be quite competitive, and Lombard, Askren and Conrad are the three I think UFC would be most interested (the latter not so much because he's really good, but rather because he's mates with Brock and that's just the way these things work sometimes).

The novelty of Bellator has kind of rubbed off and the quality of the fighters is being exposed somewhat. First season of Bellator was hyped as giving these new, young, ignored guys a chance at a lot of money and it produced interesting fights and interesting fighters. Second season had Joe Warren and Roger Huerta, which gave it a spice of star power. However, the third season was typified by the quality of their heavyweight tournament. Basically, it boiled down to a bunch of guys who weren't all that good and we knew this because they have been around the block and been shown to be not very good. Neil Grove, the king of the winged punch, making the final spoke volumes for it. Cole Konrad won it by looking horrible. The women's 115lb division was interesting but they can't do anything with it and, ultimately, the wrong person won on all levels. You now have a 115lb champion who won two contested decisions in two states with crappy judging, who now says she can't make 115 anymore and who isn't a very interesting fighter. All in all, it doesn't bode well.

Then again, how would a merger with Strikeforce even work? It's all about the TV deal and what Showtime want in the end. Strikeforce will have hosted 15 shows by the end of this year, eight main cards and seven ShoMMA cards. I think two of them (Henderson/Shields and Fedor/Werdum) were on CBS and the other 13 were on Showtime. Bellator ran 24 shows this year alone. Bellator are trying their hardest to get a co-promotion with Strikeforce but I think they're just trying to keep their champions happy, who must be itching to fight more credible fighters. If Bellator did merge with Strikeforce, it'd likely mean an end to the tournament format, or certainly a scale back to one series a year, because Showtime would be looking to add 24 shows a year. Otherwise, it's just the contracts of their champions and a tape library, which would be a shame because I feel this is the only "sport" format for MMA that has actually worked.