Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I haven't seen the fight since it happened but I remember Hughes actually looking decent against Koscheck and doing well on the feet early on but there was a clear power discrepancy in that fight and once he got cracked his chin just couldn't withstand it anymore. 

I'm with you Jim. I never felt like Hughes decline was about him falling in love with striking or being convinced he was a striker like Sylvia's suggesting there. The sport was simply evolving at a faster rate than his game was. Hughes had his run, and it was a hell of a run, but nobody was getting a look in once GSP reached his prime. Even if Hughes stuck solely to his grappling he wasn't ever beating GSP after about 2006. 

• Paid Members
On 11/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, wandshogun09 said:

I love Fujita as well! Didn't know that was happening so cheers for that. 

Fujita still looks almost like he did in Pride physically. Ah the joys of USADA-less Japanese MMA.

not so much...

finally watched the fight. Fujita in a picture may look decent but when you seem moving about he looks haggard and almost kind of frail. It was freakshow stuff and Fujita really never stood a chance, quite sad to see a guy who was known for being insanely tough be blown away with relative ease. 

• 3 months later...

Love the KSW 42 card tomorrow night: 

Main Event - Champ vs. Champ
Mamed Khalidov (34-4-2) vs. Tomasz Narkun (14-2)

Co-Main Event
Michal Materla (25-5) vs. Scott Askham (15-4)

Lightweight Title
Mateusz Gamrot (13-0) vs. Grzegorz Szulakowski (9-1)

Women’s Flyweight Title
Ariane Lipski (10-3) vs. Silvana Gomez Juarez (6-1)

LHW - Lukasz Jurkowski (16-10) vs. Martin Zawada (27-14-1)
LHW - Chris Fields (12-7-1) vs. Marcin Wojcik (10-5)
FW - Filip Wolanski (10-2) vs. Bartlomiej Kopera (9-3)
WW - Krystian Kaszubowski (5-0) vs. Christopher Henze (8-0-1)
FlyW - Karolina Owczarz (0-0) vs. Paulina Raszewska (0-0)

Lipski is a beast. She probably gets paid pretty well by KSW. But if not then she needs to be in the UFC. Would be a top addition to the FW division. Gamrot, Materla and Khalidov are always fun watches too. Some British interest which Askham making his KSW debut as well
Edited by Ross18

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Best Eva!! Phil Baroni is fighting at BKB 10 in Liverpool tonight, hes fighting UFC vet. Goran Reljic. Theres an online PPV that i might have purchased if i was home but i do hope to catch it. Lots of UFC across the card.

15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Best Eva!! Phil Baroni is fighting at BKB 10 in Liverpool tonight, hes fighting UFC vet. Goran Reljic. Theres an online PPV that i might have purchased if i was home but i do hope to catch it. Lots of UFC across the card.

I just checked. It happens next Saturday.

Goran Reijic? Now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. He became an underground favourite in 2008 when he stopped Wilson Gouveia in his UFC's debut. He also saved two men from drowning in late 2008, and was a protege of Cro Cop's. It was easy to see why he became so popular amongst hardcore fans. I was certainly rooting for him. 

A bit like Houston Alexander and Sokoudjou, he was thought to be a serious player in the making, but his career stalled thereafter. He didn't fight for almost 2 years after the Gouveia fight - due to suffering a serious back injury. I think the hiatus created a false impression of how good he was. If he would have been active after the Gouveia victory, it's likely he would have been exposed much sooner - and his reputation would not have had the time to grow on forums. He was pencilled in to face Leites at UFC 90, a fight he would have most likely lost. Although, it is possible that he was never quite the same after his back injury. Who knows. 

When he eventually returned, he was expected to make easy work of Dollaway - but he instead lost to him via decision. Reljic lost twice more before being cut from the UFC. To date, he hasn't returned to the UFC. He hasn't even fought in America since. You would have thought that Strikeforce or Bellator would have had interest in him at some point. So yeah, one of the biggest false starts in MMA history, even though he gets a bit forgotten today. 

• Paid Members

oh, i was under the impression it was last weekend. Ahh well, hopefully ill catch Baroni doing his thing.

Grappling pheonom Garry Tonon is making his MMA debut at One FC tomorrow too in Thailand. Id really love to follow One but they've fallen at the wayside for me because theres just too much on these days but ill check out Tonon's debut. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I've been out of the loop badly this last couple of weeks, I'm trying to get back in the mix though and noticed a few results i thought would be worth posting...

Kyoji Horiguchi KO'd Ian McCall in 9 freakin' seconds at Rizin 10.

Aleksander Emelianenko's comeback is still rolling, he KO'd a returning Gabriel Gonzaga in Russia.

The Best Eva Phil Baroni had and won his first fight in 4 years in KOTC, he KO'd some scrub called Matt Lagler in 24 seconds.

• Paid Members

I saw something about the Aleks the rapist beating Gonzaga the other day. 

Didn't know about that Horiguchi result though! Chuffed with that. I've said for ages that I really rate Horiguchi. He's more than just Mighty Mouse fodder and I always felt like his title shot against DJ just came along too early for him because DJ was burning through contenders before new ones were emerging. He's ace though and it's great to see him doing so well since he left the UFC. I have no doubt he'll be back before too long. Kind of glad he did it to Uncle Creepy as well, not going to lie. Never been a fan of McCall. Seems to spend about half his time hyping himself up and selling himself as some exciting killer fighter and the rest pulling out of fights. And then when he does actually fight he's not even exciting. Just bounces about doing the bare minimum to steal rounds. So I'm well happy to hear Horiguchi took him out in seconds. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

ACB continue to bang out the shows, its hard to guage any real sense of where fighters stand within the promotion because shows are so frequent and depending on where the shows are held depends on where the majority of the fighters are from so certain shows are filled with no-name foreign fighters. This weeks marks their return to the UK though and im determined to watch this fucker and break my ACB duck its live and free on Fite TV. Lots of UFC/Bellator fighters mixed in with domestic fighters, really like the look of this.

Mousah-VS.-Whiteford.jpg

card here:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/51916-acb-87-notthingham

lots to like

I'm looking forward to how the old WSOF now PFL looks, they have a decent roster, unlike Bellator they have a strong undercard, (prelims on Facebook) they don't have a UK TV deal I don't think but 12 fighters each weight class (6 Weight classes HW-FW) plus the odd random fight, Kayla Harrison gold medalist in Judo is making her debut but not in the tournament obviously. I think it's 3 regular season bouts with extra points for finishes and rounds finished, then 12 become 8 and they fight twice in one night to reach the final on New Years Eve(and the winners all get $1million. They start in June.

Noticed a lot of Russians on roster including Khabibs brother or Cousin and some guys from the UFC who aren't exciting but good fighters like Jake Shields & Rick Story, it will be interesting to see how they manage 6 fights in 6 months 

• Paid Members

Yeh im looking forward to that, a few years ago a concept type promotion always felt a bit strange (the IFL for example) but now that theres so much MMA im actually thinking it may set it apart and be something people can sink their teeth into. Big prize money involved too.

Yeah I hope they don't just do an old Bellator and stick guys back in the tournaments, perhaps they move on to the UFC or Bellator or whoever, not just sit around waiting on non title fights while they wait on the next tournament winners. If UFC sign with NBC/NBCSN, I would assume they get removed, unless the UFC doesn't mind it being on same channel.