The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Not a particular hot or recent take but The End Of Heartache by Killswitch Engage still absolutely fucks.

Had it blasting out today and it's the best album of it's genre. It was also massive at the time and crossed over a fair bit, and I feel like I saw them every 3 months live over here around this time. Every time was great too. #HowardForever

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mark Henry: Through The Ages.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTeMpbHCm-9NqCvn3rU6sRA/videos This guy has uploaded a load of punk/hardcore live shows from the 90's. Including bands like Converge/Ignite/Mineral/Jimmy Eat Worl

Hot and up to date takes from some albums I've listened/re-listened to this weekend: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness First time listening to this, and I've nev

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the right place to put this. One of my hobbies during Covid has been to learn how to record and mix music. I’ve wasted more money than I’d care to admit buying pointless plugins that promised to improve my vocals at the click of a button, and I’ve spent hours fretting over tiny little things that are hardly noticeable, but I’m finally happy with the end product. 

Have a listen here if you’re keen, would love some feedback on what has essentially been an obsession for a number of months.

(It also features many “Tories are cunts” elements, if that entices you further)

• Paid Members
On 11/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, SuperBacon said:

Not a particular hot or recent take but The End Of Heartache by Killswitch Engage still absolutely fucks.

Had it blasting out today and it's the best album of it's genre. It was also massive at the time and crossed over a fair bit, and I feel like I saw them every 3 months live over here around this time. Every time was great too. #HowardForever

Coincidentally, i put on As Daylight Dies the other day. There was a stage a couple of years ago when i couldnt even listen to KSE. The whole thing seemed so played out, and ive never given the newer Jesse Leech stuff much of a chance as a result.

I enjoyed fuck listening to that the other day though, and I was never that big on As Daylight Dies to begin with, always preferred The End of Heartache. Killswitch Engage do that metalcore thing better than anyone else.

Edited by Egg Shen
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Coincidentally, i put on As Daylight Dies the other day. There was a stage a couple of years ago when i couldnt even listen to KSE. The whole thing seemed so played out, and ive never given the newer Jesse Leech stuff much of a chance as a result.

I enjoyed fuck listening to that the other day though, and I was never that big on As Daylight Dies to begin with, always preferred The End of Heartache. Killswitch Engage do that metalcore thing better than anyone else.

Yeah, I love that album too. It's so clean, but still sounds heavy as fuck in places. They really were such a tight live band around that time as well. 

I like Jesse's stuff, but I'm Team Howard all the way. It's genuinely warming to see everyone happy and getting on, and they all respect each others work/history etc. Rarer than it seems. They all seem at peace.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, I love that album too. It's so clean, but still sounds heavy as fuck in places. They really were such a tight live band around that time as well. 

I like Jesse's stuff, but I'm Team Howard all the way. It's genuinely warming to see everyone happy and getting on, and they all respect each others work/history etc. Rarer than it seems. They all seem at peace.

I got to see them in '04. Some 'New Wave of American Heavy Metal' type thing. KSE, Shadows Fall, God Forbid & Chimaira in the smaller room at Cardiff Uni. fantastic.

• Paid Members

Maybe a little tame for some and this thread, but All Time Low have released a new version of their song Monsters with Demi Lovato featuring and it absolutely works. It adds something to the overall sound just hearing her really go for it. 

May be up some peoples streets if they like their modern day pop rock/pop punk. 

I had a listen to Black Stallion, the White Pony remix album and it's very mixed. Some of the tracks are brilliant. Like Purity Rings' remix of Knife Prty is cool, as is Mike Shinoda's Passenger, Salva's version of RX Queen and Squarepushers 10-minute long Pink Maggit remix. Then you have stuff like Robert Smith's version of Teenager which is literally just the original song with the drums removed and a couple of piano chords over the top. The shit ones just seem really lazy, like they're only in it for the cash, where as the good ones seem like actual Deftones fans really giving it some. 

I was really looking forward to DJ Shadow's remix of Digital Bath as I'm a huge Shadow and Digital Bath is one of my favourite Deftones tracks but I was massively underwhelmed. Considering DJ Shadow (along with his stint in UNKLE) was a big player in the trip-hop scene of the mid-90's, and Deftones were massively influenced by trip-hop while making White Pony, I was expecting a lot more. I probably should have had more realistic expectations seeing as DJ Shadow has moved on from that Endtroducing... era of his career, but it would have been so good if he'd gone old school with it.

All in all, the good tracks are great, the shit ones are lazy, dull and usually quite abstract. There isn't much in between. Worth a listen, but I doubt any of it would get much of a re-listen in the future.

I got a White Pony tattoo a few weeks ago and was tempted to incorporate the Black Stallion one in with it somehow due to it being the 20th anniversary, but I'm glad I decided against it now.

Not sure if there's been any previous discussion on them, but I'm absolutely loving Spiritbox. I really hope they release a full album next year. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in August 2018. She's not even 60 yet and she's deteriorated massively since the lockdown in March. The video for Spritbox's Constance really hit home for me. It's an amazing collaboration between band and director.