Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

How much are Reading  day tickets these days? Rage and Run The Jewels are probably  enough to get me out of the house.

I went from 1999 to 2005. 1999 and 2005 were both mental. 1999 the boys were set on fire and some nutter came into our campsite and kicked the fire into a mate's face when he didn't  want to but any drugs from him. 2005 just seemed super mean spirited. The last night it was going full lord of the flies so we just said fuck it and left early.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Think it’ll be around £90

Nice I was expecting  about £130

2002 was the year a mate of mine jumped through a burger van window and started throwing stuff around like a bellend. He was bundled in to a car by security and apparently deposited somewhere on the motorway.

Download has generally been fairly tame in comparison with about the worst thing I saw being a few pissed folks walking in to other peoples tents and robbing their booze but it still never stopped me from staying awake as late as possible on the last night incase anything went down.

On a lighter note two of the best things I've ever seen at festivals were a bloke at Download 2004 walking around with a Jackson King V stabbing it in to the ground randomly and the first year we went to Y Not as a family walking away from one of the tents and some lads had brought some converted wheelie bins on to site with speakers built in to them, decks and a generator were blasting drum and bass out in the middle of the festival site.

Download 06 (the only one I've been to) had loads of bother on the last night. Loads of fighting, stuff on fire, all the lighting pulled down etc. The sight of riot police marching through the camp site early in the morning was enough to confirm I'd never be going again.

Shit festival anyway...

13 hours ago, DEF said:

1999 the boys were set on fire and some nutter came into our campsite and kicked the fire into a mate's face when he didn't  want to but any drugs from him. 2005 just seemed super mean spirited.

I’d love to know what’s considered mean spirited when compared to somebody being set on fire!

Why are the British such dicks? I've been going to festivals overseas for as long as I've been going to ones here and there's never been a spot of bother abroad, with the exception of some England fans being twats during/after the football at Graspop 2016.

Edited by King Mal the Glorious
Missed a /

It always seems to be the bigger festivals. I’ve been to plenty over smaller ones like 2000 Trees and Hevy and never seen a single spot of trouble. 

I remember when I first went to Hevy in about 2011/12 and it was the first non-Reading or Leeds festival I’d been too. I woke up on the first night at about 4am to complete silence and thought someone had pulled a prank and move me and my tent while I was sleeping. It was so disorienting there not being noise and commotion 24/7 at a festival. I got out of my tent and the place was empty. No pilled up 17 year olds desperately trying to keep the party going. 

34 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

It always seems to be the bigger festivals. I’ve been to plenty over smaller ones like 2000 Trees and Hevy and never seen a single spot of trouble. 

I remember when I first went to Hevy in about 2011/12 and it was the first non-Reading or Leeds festival I’d been too. I woke up on the first night at about 4am to complete silence and thought someone had pulled a prank and move me and my tent while I was sleeping. It was so disorienting there not being noise and commotion 24/7 at a festival. I got out of my tent and the place was empty. No pilled up 17 year olds desperately trying to keep the party going. 

That’s because they were all crying themselves to sleep the big emos.

I went to Hevy in 2012 and it was nice and peaceful. I also liked the fact that it was a 5 minute walk from the arena to where I was camping. So if there wasn't a band I fancied seeing I would nip back and grab a beer between sets.

Yeh, ive been to Bloodstock 8-9 times and ive never seen any trouble there, super friendly atmosphere. Ive been to numerous other smaller festivals and its been fine too, Leeds/Reading were by far the worst in terms of behaviour, at the time it was almost part of the appeal, i wouldnt go back though, except for perhaps a day.

40 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Really? I've stopped going because I can't be arsed with the camp site behaviour anymore. 

Been a few times and never had an issue. Depends which one area your in I suppose. We have a regular spot in the back right corner of one of them so I suppose we’re past everyone else

yeh maybe its cause i generally camp towards the edge of the campsite and away from the main footpaths? ive never had any issue there, the campsite is generally tame though. Lots of pissed people and music going off but no trouble.

I’ve been to Glastonbury 4 times since early 00’s, last one in 2016, no bother whatsoever. Leeds 3 times in the same time frame, and always bother. 

My observations are that Leeds had more ‘lads on the piss’ and booze just brings out the bellend in bellends. More people getting fucked on crates of Fosters and lines of coke, where as glasto was more people smoking joints or tripping. Not everyone obviously, but it’s a noticeable difference in tone and atmosphere. Definitely far more pleasant and enjoyable in my opinion.