Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Devin Townsend announced as the first Bloodstock headliner. SYL material included, yes!

5d91e49a190d8.jpg

I've been re-listening to Velvet Cacoon/Clair Cassis a lot this past week or two, they won't be to everyones taste but they're certainly one of the more interesting black metal bands. They traded in the "evil" gimmicks for tall tales of eco-terrorism, big sexy diesel powered guitars, live shows fueled by ancient hallucinogens that made them puke purple shit and a bunch more trickery and thievery (although, said thievery may have been in conjunction with the other artists).

Even without all the shenanigans Genevieve is a 10/10 bit of hazy, droney drugged out black metal.

Oh, and I also found this Carly Rae x Deafheaven mashup demo album https://esorren.bandcamp.com/album/sunkisser-demo-work-in-progress

Just seen Deafheaven and they played Black Brick - wasn’t expecting that. The final transition is fantastically discombobulating; like two drummers merging into one mental octopus.

Today I’ve been getting on the Lingua Ignota hype and listening to CALIGULA. Really enjoying, mainly I think due to it sounding exactly like the inside of my head the majority of the time.

Her music is great but why is she on Profound Lore?

The music comes from the place of being a sexual abuse survivor but PL supported and promoted a convicted violent abuser, even using that crime as a selling point for the album the guy released after it.

Boysetsfire, Mclusky and Tellison are all great shouts.

In fact, Contact Contact is probably my favourite album from a British band in the last 20 years. An absolute masterpiece. 

The Get Up Kids
Boysetsfire
The Lawrence Arms
Murder By Death
McClusky
Scarling

Fucking wonderful to see them lot get a shout-out in 2019. MBD are big faves of mine and deserve way more recognition than they've gotten thus far.

6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The Get Up Kids
Boysetsfire
The Lawrence Arms
Murder By Death
McClusky
Scarling

Fucking wonderful to see them lot get a shout-out in 2019. MBD are big faves of mine and deserve way more recognition than they've gotten thus far.

I saw MBD in 2001 when they were still called Little Joe Gould. It's amazing to see the depth of their catalogue since then. I need to go back and listen to it all. 

Seeing that Vogg from Decapitated has joined Machine Head's touring band to play the non-Burn My Eyes portion of the their sets, be interesting to see if he joins fully to help put a record together and Flynn lets him contribute, that could be great!

On 10/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, Egg Shen said:

https://www.kerrang.com/features/13-of-the-most-underrated-albums-of-the-00s/

another one of those obscure lists you wouldn't usually expect from Kerrang! some good stuff there.

Only just seen this but that's a cracking list. Get Up Kids, Lawrence Arms and Streetlight are great shouts.

What are everyone else's underrated albums of the 00s? I'll go with The Riot Before - Fists Buried In Pockets, came out in around 2008 (although Spotify says 2015 but that is bollocks). One of those bands like American Steel that popped up around the same time as Gaslight Anthem but didn't get the attention. Unfortunately only made one more album then broke up. One for @SuperBacon maybe!

38 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Only just seen this but that's a cracking list. Get Up Kids, Lawrence Arms and Streetlight are great shouts.

What are everyone else's underrated albums of the 00s? I'll go with The Riot Before - Fists Buried In Pockets, came out in around 2008 (although Spotify says 2015 but that is bollocks). One of those bands like American Steel that popped up around the same time as Gaslight Anthem but didn't get the attention. Unfortunately only made one more album then broke up. One for @SuperBacon maybe!

Off the top of my head quickly:

My Vitriol - Finelines

Bear Vs. Shark - Right Now, You're in the Best of Hands

Instruction - God Doesn't Care

Minus The Bear - Highly Refined Pirates

New End Original - Thriller

Poison The Well - Tear From The Red

The 00's is truly the era of black metal that deserves the most attention, fuck those church burners of the 90's, the 00's is where the genre grew in many different directions and is so underrated.

Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes

Coldworld - Melancholie²

Xasthur - A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

Sombres forĂŞts - Royaume de glace

Nuit Noire - Lunar Deflagration

Nortt - Ligfærd

Anaal Nathrakh – The Codex Necro

MĂĽtiilation - Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)

And this is just what I can remember while drunk.

EDIT: I can't leave out Lifelover, Pulver and Erotik are both 10/10 for weirdness.

Edited by Merzbow