The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Also post yer top 20 metal albums for shits n' gigs.

20. Neurosis - Through silver in blood

19. Melt Banana - Cell scape

18. Converge - Petitioning the empty sky

17. Opeth - Blackwater park

16. Iron Maiden - S/T

15. Slayer - Reign in blood

14. Black Sabbath - Master of reality

13. Black Sabbath - Sabbath bloody sabbath

12. Boris - Amplifier worship

11. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

10. Black Sabbath - S/T

09. Botch - We are the Romans

08. Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

07. Converge - Jane Doe

06. Converge - Axe to fall

05. Neurosis - Souls at zero

04. Weakling - Dead as dreams

03. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for destruction

02. Burzum - Filosofem

01. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

• Paid Members

What is the heaviest song ever recorded?

Serious question, I did a bit of research into this a couple of years ago for a radio show I do and came to the conclusion that is was Anaal Nathrakh's Pandemonic Hyperblast, which I then proceeded to play. The resulting e-mails were a lot of fun!

Anyway, it's been two years on, in your opinion has anything surpassed it?

Depends on your definition of "heavy."

To me, heaviness incorporates an element of catchiness. It's not about making the lowest, loudest, fastest or most disturbing sound possible, it's about creating the desired mood, whether that's aggression, despair, hatred or whatever.

At the moment, on that basis, I'd be likely to go for "Lashed to the Slave Stick" by Nile. Ask me tomorrow and you'll probably get a completely different answer.

• Paid Members

To me, heaviness incorporates an element of catchiness. It's not about making the lowest, loudest, fastest or most disturbing sound possible, it's about creating the desired mood, whether that's aggression, despair, hatred or whatever.

At the moment, on that basis, I'd be likely to go for "Lashed to the Slave Stick" by Nile. Ask me tomorrow and you'll probably get a completely different answer.

That is a fair point, how did I define heavy? I think I was going for how loud it was, but still being a track, and still being in the metal genre. So, for example, hardcore gabba wouldn't count, neither would some guy just generally making noise.

Here is Anaal Nathrakh's Pandemonic Hyperblast to show what I was aiming at. Apologies for some of the comments on the video, but I can't control Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6349Q-67eA

and it's tomorrow, what is the heaviest track recorded? :thumbsup:

That is a fair point, how did I define heavy? I think I was going for how loud it was, but still being a track, and still being in the metal genre. So, for example, hardcore gabba wouldn't count, neither would some guy just generally making noise.

Here is Anaal Nathrakh's Pandemonic Hyperblast to show what I was aiming at. Apologies for some of the comments on the video, but I can't control Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6349Q-67eA

and it's tomorrow, what is the heaviest track recorded? :thumbsup:

Heavy is very subjective.. for instance.. Earthworks by Kerbdog would qualify for heavy with its almost industrial riffage, but its not like the 'metal' above

or some Celtic Frost

or something more melodic such as Megadeth

Black Curtains

or something more mainstream Feeder

Where do you draw the line?

Anybody checked out Fear Factory's latest album 'Mechanize'? Any good?

It's not too bad, kind of back to thier old sound but none of the tracks stand out at all.

On the topic of heaviness i'd have to say bands like Sunn and Moss, the bass filled droney bands that make you feel like your bowels will explode.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
Anybody checked out Fear Factory's latest album 'Mechanize'? Any good?

It's not too bad, kind of back to thier old sound but none of the tracks stand out at all.

On the topic of heaviness i'd have to say bands like Sunn and Moss, the bass filled droney bands that make you feel like your bowels will explode.

Fear Campaign and Powershifter are the two I keep playing from it.