The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A lad I know is involved with the signing tent at Bloodstock, he has been posting a lot about Volbeat in the last week.  I'm sure it means fuck all apart from he likes Volbeat as he is professional like that.  I'll never attend a Bloodstock but I do admit it's an annual highlight to see people lose their shit because Nazi Goat Dwarf aren't headlining the Kvit stage.

2017, they had a Nazi and paedo headline it.

Hey, hey d'ya 'member Stampin' Ground?

Officer Down popped into my head last night and it's such a solid bit of Slayer worship mixed in with a bunch of Hardcore, one of those bands you'd think would have been a bigger deal and I saw them as bit of a British Hatebreed at the time.

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

What about Opeth headlining Bloodstock? Dream Theater would probably go down well too.

Opeth have done in the past, but played subheadline last time they played Bloodstock. They’ve downgraded venues on recent tours too as they seem to have split their audience with their shift to 70s Prog Rock sound, although they’re saying that the next album could be s heavier affair

Dream Theater are another one that I think outprice themselves for something like Bloodstock. I’ve no doubt they’d go down well, but again I reckon they command more than their worth and wouldn’t put my faith in them to shift a huge amount of tickets on their own. The announcement is coming tomorrow apparently, and I’d be surprised if it’s not Sabaton.

@Merzbow yeah I remember Stampin’ Ground, very much a no thrills band, but good at what they did. I was with a girlfriend at the time and we saw them open for AFI. That was a clash of styles for sure

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I saw them once at the illustrious Jailhouse, a proper shithole but we'd get some half decent gigs back before it was knocked down. There was this one Belgian guy who'd put on Black and Death Metal festivals there but now he's more known for designing a logo for Rihanna..

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/meet-christophe-szpajdel-exeter-co-410444

• Paid Members

Never got the hate Sabaton seem to get from some folk. I think they're ace and I don''t even really like power metal at all. First few albums were terrific. It's not like they're knuckle-dragging Neanderthal shite like Five Finger Death Punch or Slipknot or the likes either. As a man to whom heavy metal and and military history are two of his greatest passions, they're great fun. 

I mind seeing them in 2008 or thereabouts in Glasgow in front of about 14 people and now they're headlining festivals. Madness. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Never got the hate Sabaton seem to get from some folk. I think they're ace and I don''t even really like power metal at all. First few albums were terrific. It's not like they're knuckle-dragging Neanderthal shite like Five Finger Death Punch or Slipknot or the likes either. As a man to whom heavy metal and and military history are two of his greatest passions, they're great fun. 

I mind seeing them in 2008 or thereabouts in Glasgow in front of about 14 people and now they're headlining festivals. Madness. 

FFDP - I agree, proper shit. Really awful music for dullards. Watched them from afar during their Download 2009 set where the lead 'singer' called everyone who wasn't in the mosh pit a f****t. A blemish on metal music.

Slipknot - Great band who were a gateway for hundreds of thousands of people into more heavier music. The first proper album still holds up today and sounds light years ahead of what their contemporaries were putting out at the time. Lovely stuff.

So yeah, let's not compare those two.