The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

So last year, Rivers Cuomo did a solo show and played a bunch of covers. Since then, loads of people online have been nagging him to cover Toto - Africa for some reason. Well, after a year of constant bombardment, he’s finally gone “alright! Ok! Fine” and with the rest of Weezer...covered Rosanna instead

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone given the new Ghost album a go? I’d listened to ‘Rats’ a bunch of times when that was put out, but had steered clear of other new stuff that had surfaced on YouTube and the other new single, ‘Dance Macabre’

I’ve listened to it about five times now, and I think it’s great. There’s enough there that is bringing in a new direction but enough to tie it back to previous work. There’s a couple of good prog-style on there too. Another giant step forward for the band

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are still any clubs in London which have metal/rock nights? Gonna be back in the city for the first time in years this week and wonder if any of the old places are still around. Back in 2000-2004 there was a place you could go every night of the week but I heard it all died down.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, Herne's Son said:

Does anyone know if there are still any clubs in London which have metal/rock nights? Gonna be back in the city for the first time in years this week and wonder if any of the old places are still around. Back in 2000-2004 there was a place you could go every night of the week but I heard it all died down.

Not sure where you're staying, but pretty sure Underworld and Electric Ballroom still have something on pretty much every night.

There's a big one in Angel called Voodoo Rock, which is always a good laugh. Usually on a Friday.

If you're around tonight, and willing to venture a tiny bit further out, then New Noise in Kingston is awesome on a Wednesday. Run by the good bois at Banquet Records, it's in a bar called Bacchus which is insanely small, is around £3 to get in, and you'll be able to get a bus back to Morden, then night tube it back. Best of luck

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Not sure where you're staying, but pretty sure Underworld and Electric Ballroom still have something on pretty much every night.

There's a big one in Angel called Voodoo Rock, which is always a good laugh. Usually on a Friday.

If you're around tonight, and willing to venture a tiny bit further out, then New Noise in Kingston is awesome on a Wednesday. Run by the good bois at Banquet Records, it's in a bar called Bacchus which is insanely small, is around £3 to get in, and you'll be able to get a bus back to Morden, then night tube it back. Best of luck

Thanks a lot for the advice

• Paid Members

Vinnie always came across as a great guy in interviews. Terrible news. 

Like Wyatt says above I'm glad they never did the Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde. That would have been awful. 

Edited by martyngnr

I’m not sure if they’d made up or not, but I don’t recall reading anything since that video of Anselmo surfaced so maybe they didn’t. Phil has kept a pretty low profile since.

A Pantera ‘reunion’ with Zakk Wylde would have been horrible. Last time I saw Black Label Society at a festival (think it might have been Bloodstock) he did a shreadding solo that went on for nearly 10 minutes, the last 9 and a half of which didn’t sound any different to the first 30seconds

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

same here, ive tried and i know he's playing a style of music i love but ive never really got on board.

As for the Pantera reunion, im also glad it never happened. I understand the fans wanting it but they ended on such bitter terms and were nowhere near resolving them at the time of Dimebag's death, even since theres been a lot of hesitation to making up, its just a nasty situation thats probably best left as it is. A Wylde on guitar version would have just felt like a strange cash in. 

Back to Vinnie though, such a sad situation. I was lucky enough to see him perform with Pantera, Hellyeah and Damageplan which is pretty cool but hes just one of the best metal drummers of all time. Perhaps not the fastest of technically the best but such a distinctive and grooving style. He was a credit to every band he was in.

• Paid Members
On 6/23/2018 at 10:13 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m not sure if they’d made up or not, but I don’t recall reading anything since that video of Anselmo surfaced so maybe they didn’t. Phil has kept a pretty low profile since.

He has been active with the Illegals, Superjoint and a few others (there's a few new albums about) but his voice is just utterly bollocksed at this point.