The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

They're not out of the woods yet though. While their defence have questioned the credibility of the witness due to her lying to the police in a seperate incident in 2014,  they have also filed a motion dismissing all rape and kidnapping charges. The motion cites "the well being of the victim" as a reason for dropping the charges without prejudice, meaning they could be prosecuted in the future.

I was never a huge fan of them past the second album, but it'll be interesting to see if promotors are willing to book them or not going forward. I know we can play the 'innocent until proven guilty' card, but you've got to think they're not worth the potential backlash. Having said that, metal fans can be a fickle bunch

• Paid Members

Mentioned Machine Head a few pages back regarding their new album, and reviews are starting to filter in now that they've thrown a right curveball and the backlash is starting to mount. It's looking like Supercharger all over again. I've listened to a couple of podcasts with Robb Flynn and i quite like the fact that they've just said 'fuck it, we're gonna do what we want', but it's gonna leave a lot of fans scratching their heads, im quite excited to listen to it.

Fair play to any band changing things up, I've mentioned many times that a whole bunch of my fav metal bands have done that multiple times through their careers but what I've heard from Catharsis so far has been WWE nu-metal PPV theme-like, it's pretty funny.

I'm quite excited to see their fans shit the bed.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Mentioned Machine Head a few pages back regarding their new album, and reviews are starting to filter in now that they've thrown a right curveball and the backlash is starting to mount. It's looking like Supercharger all over again. I've listened to a couple of podcasts with Robb Flynn and i quite like the fact that they've just said 'fuck it, we're gonna do what we want', but it's gonna leave a lot of fans scratching their heads, im quite excited to listen to it.

Which is great. A band should do what they want to do, rather than just churn out a similar sounding record every other year. It's something I always look for in an album, what makes this one different from the last one (depending how long it's been). Where is the progression in the writing. Supercharger was a shocker of an album, but I don't hate the band because of it, I just don't listen to that one. Fear Factory are one of my favourite bands, but Digimortal is one of the worst records I've ever heard. But that doesn't mean that I don't like the band anymore.

I haven't heard anything from it yet, but I will be giving it a whirl once the full album is released. As for fans having a meltdown? At least that'll make for a laugh much like the Star Wars Last Jedi reviews. "I hate istening to this album..." then don't! you pillock

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On 1/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Dead Mike said:

I'd love it & I think Brian Fallon will be there but seeing as Fallon has already been announced for some Euro fests solo I don't think it'll happen this year. From looking at who's around Europe at the time of 2000 Trees I reckon it'll be out of - At The Drive In, The Offspring, Bad Religion, Alice In Chains, The Descendants & (at a push although I think they're too big) Deftones.

If Gaslight get announced for some Euro fests then it's on.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/brian-fallon/the-hippodrome/BF190218

It's a start :)

52 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Ha! This tour has been on sale for a bit. I'm going to Manchester 2 nights after this date. His new single is good, sounds like it could've been on 'American Slang'.

Ah, I see. This has only just been announced. This venue is about 800 capacity, so should make for a nice intimate one :)

• Paid Members
On 07/01/2018 at 8:41 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Which is great. A band should do what they want to do, rather than just churn out a similar sounding record every other year. It's something I always look for in an album, what makes this one different from the last one (depending how long it's been). Where is the progression in the writing. Supercharger was a shocker of an album, but I don't hate the band because of it, I just don't listen to that one. Fear Factory are one of my favourite bands, but Digimortal is one of the worst records I've ever heard. But that doesn't mean that I don't like the band anymore.

I haven't heard anything from it yet, but I will be giving it a whirl once the full album is released. As for fans having a meltdown? At least that'll make for a laugh much like the Star Wars Last Jedi reviews. "I hate istening to this album..." then don't! you pillock

yeh, agree with that.

Im fascinated by 'misfires' in a bands catalogue and how a band responds to them, especially albums from bands that i was around to experience. Machine Head are a great example because ive been following the band from around the time 'The More Things Change...' came out. To be honest, i never got the backlash to The Burning Red, i was young and balls deep in nu-metal so hearing Machine Head crank out a record that fit into that genre sounded alright to me, thought in higsight i find it a difficult listen. Supercharger was the record where i noticed that there was a bit of a backlash, though i think it was mainly from the media, i saw the band on that tour cycle and they were still packing out big venues to a rabid fanbase. The subsequent albums always felt like a response to the shit the media gave the band so to see them go back down that road after they mended all those fence is pretty strange, though i appreciate the fact that they are doing whatever they want and they are realising that despite the poor reaction, a lot of the fanbase actually likes those 2 records.

...and yes, Digimortal is rubbish. Always felt like Fear Factory with their nuts cut off.

Bullet for My Valetine are another that has seemed to spend their entire career apologising for a poor album then trying redeem themselves. They've done that for basically every album since their debut. Im even starting to see inklings of it for their last record which was widely seen as the best since the debut when it came out.

• Paid Members

15 years ago I was Andrew WK's biggest fan, I've seen him live loads of times and I still have a massive soft spot for him and his unstoppable positivity.

I've always been up for hearing more material, this track was a bit too much for me though, it certainly sounded like him from the first second but he's gone a bit over the top on the wall of sound production and throwing everything at it. 

My tastes have changed a bit as well, I've listened to I Get Wet a million times but now I can't imagine really being in the mood to listen to an album of in your face, triumphant, borderline cheesy quasi-football chants more than a couple of times a year.

I'm willing to give it a go, and much like yourself I was a massive Andrew W.K. mark at the time, I was lucky enough to be the fan he handed the mic to at Leeds Festival to finish off singing Party Till You Puke. I've still got a signed banner that we made and the photos from when I've met him and the old band (from when Jimmy Coup and Donald Tardy when in the lineup). I've still got a copy of the Party Till You Puke EP on 12" that's still in the shrink wrap.  

Its not bad, but is seemingly s bit paint by numbers in terms of the songwriting of the first two albums. It is however alot better than anything from when he was smacked out of his bin in his Close Calls With Brick Walls and Mother of Mankind phase.