The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I thought they were the dogs bollocks when I first heard Deviant. It mixed my love of guitars and and electronics perfectly. At the time, Deftones, Rage, Soulfly, Seps were my go to Disk man artists of choice, on the sly I was ragging the fuck out of Prodigy.

My discman/walkman mixes at that time were all the shop, i was a full on rock guy but literally if it was in Kerrang! i would listen to it. There was no real pattern to anything, id have pop punk next to doom next to industrial, i'd just take it all in. Not so easy to get hold of music in them days either, i used to attend record fairs and pick up anything i recognised the name of it was cheap, i discovered some absolute gems and my favorite bands ever doing that. Good times and a musical education i wouldn't swap to how easy the kids have it these days.

I used to be really into Pitchshifter for a while back when I was in college. A Lad on my course was taught drums by the drummer and from what I heard the singer was an absolute bellend and the rest of the band fell out with him. 

They were apparently looking to do a tour in February to coincide with the anniversary of www.pitchsifter.com but It seems like nothing has come of it so far.

• Paid Members

It’s a shame to hear that @wordsfromlee because if they hit the uni circuits again, I think they’d still get an audience. Saying that, it would be akin to seeing a 70’s prog band and all of the ‘i was there’ crew stood at the back, arms folded. I’d fucking hope not.

@Egg Shen kerrang from between 99 - 02 was fucking brilliant. In fact I’d say that and metal hammer between 98 and 01 were the be all and end all in regards to music. I can’t speak for either after then but some of the comp CDs at the time were insanely good. Jumping from Biohazard, to Deftones, to DropbKick Murphys, to a band you’d never heard of it never would again was mint.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I was listening to .co.uk in the car the other day funnily enough. Them along with Mad Capsule Markets adding dance/drum and bass stuff to metal was great, and something not many bands do apart from remixes.

@Egg Shen I used to fucking love The Workhorse Movement, I used to play the fuck out of their album back in the day. It's a shame they just disappeared.

Fuck me! The Workhorse Movement! I remember them, they were talked up as the next big thing, then completely disappeared about 6 months later only to then rebrand  as Dirty Americans and released one album and an EP then disbanded completely

I too used to make a fuck load of mix CDs and much like you Egg, I just soaked up everything that was in Kerrang at the time, and Metal Hammer too. Anyone who was in their mid to late teens around that time and says they weren't into bands featured in Kerrang is telling massive porkies. 98 into the mid noughties, much like the Attitude Era, was such a transition period for the genre. Established bands trying, and most failing, new things and up & comers smashing polar opposites together just to see what happened. I found my niche afterwards, but Kerrang did introduce me to alot of stuff.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Kerrang had such an odd mix of artists that it wrote about, yeah it was mainly the more mainstream bands but out of nowhere you'd find a glowing review for The Berzerker or an article on Norwegian Black Metal. I pretty much skipped Metal Hammer and went right to Terrorizer which now looks as if it's not being printed any longer, the last two issues are digital only and looking on their facebook page it looks like many people haven't been getting earlier physical copies they had subscribed too either.

• Paid Members

If it wasn’t for kerrang I would not have found out about Linea 77. Back in 00 a kid who ran a local record shop basically bought in albums based on the ratings that kerrang and MH would rate bands. He was jumping in our tour van said “you like Deftones, you’ll like these” and what a bloody treat that debut album was. 

While im on, if your from the Newcastle area or are ever planning to pop your head in, please check out me mates band “Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs”. In fairness they get themselves about these days.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

I was listening to .co.uk in the car the other day funnily enough. Them along with Mad Capsule Markets adding dance/drum and bass stuff to metal was great, and something not many bands do apart from remixes.

@Egg Shen I used to fucking love The Workhorse Movement, I used to play the fuck out of their album back in the day. It's a shame they just disappeared.

The Mad Capsule Markets were great. Luckily got to see them a couple of times too, strange that spotify/itunes doesn't have any Mad Capsule Markets on them. 

I still have The Workhorse Movement album and The Dirty Americans albums (so thankful i never threw away any cds),  i think the Dirty Americans only featured the one Workhorse Movement singer (the singer, not the rapper) but they were a straight up hard rock band. 

I can talk about that era of rock/metal all day, i still to back and try to discover stuff i missed too.

I keep up with new music these days too, i never understood the thinking behind people just stopping taking interest in new music and continuing to listen to the same music they did years ago, though it happens a lot, music fandom for most people is a phase and i think the Kerrang! buying period for most people results in where people start and stop. A mate of mine who id still consider a rock fan and attends shows probably hasnt listened to a lick of new music in 10 years. We were talking about the Deftones a few weeks ago and he hadn't listened too or couldn't name a Deftones record after White Pony. I just find that baffling.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

If it wasn’t for kerrang I would not have found out about Linea 77. Back in 00 a kid who ran a local record shop basically bought in albums based on the ratings that kerrang and MH would rate bands. He was jumping in our tour van said “you like Deftones, you’ll like these” and what a bloody treat that debut album was.

Linea 77 were massive in Italy, Linkin Park were still opening for them there after Meteora came out i think

I reckon the Ketchup Suicide record will still hold up, i'll dig it out later. Linea 77 were a car cd player staple for years. I always have a bit of a fascination with bands who are huge in their own country but struggle everywhere else (file Mad Capsule Markets under this banner). Linea 77 would sell out arenas in Italy but half fill a Barfly over here.

Beatsteaks is another, anyone remember them? still going and massive in Germany, the language barrier doesn't exist where it harms them anywhere else either (they sing in English), for some reason it only makes sense to Germans, great band though.

just found these two:

1508829671154785856183.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Merzbow said:

Genesis P-Orridge of Psychic TV, COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle etc has been diagnosed with leukemia, whether you like them or not Gen's one hell of a character and has been super influential within the weirder sides of music.

I read Cosey Fanni Tutti's autobiography recently, and it's hard to feel much sympathy for Genesis after that, but nobody deserves this, and I hope s/he can pull through. Like you say, a hugely influential figure.

Loving all this Kerrang nostalgia. Definitely between 99-02 I was buying it weekly, mainly for the gig listings and the occasional comp CD but most of what I was listening to or would end up listening to would be found in there. Switched to Metal Hammer for a year or so but found it was always the same bands featured and went to Terrorizer. Always got more value out of the Kerrang and Hammer CDs than Terrorizer weirdly, despite me being more in to the super heavy stuff. Still got a couple of the summer mix CDs.

This compilation chat has reminded me of a CD I had on permanent repeat at one point called Corrosion. It was a double album of mainly nu metal but a bit of punk, ska and whatnot thrown in for good measure. Check this out for a tracklisting! One Minute Silence are on there twice. God I loved that band

1.01 Queens Of The Stone Age The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret 3:39
1.02 Pitchshifter As Seen On TV 2:55
1.03 Workhorse Movement* Keep The Sabbath Dream Alive 4:17
1.04 One Minute Silence Fish Out Of Water 4:26
1.05 System Of A Down War? (Album Version) 2:43
1.06 Incubus Pardon Me (Radio Edit) 3:31
1.07 The Wildhearts Pump It Up 2:38
1.08 Fuel Hemorrhage (In My Hands) 3:59
1.09 Mudvayne -1 (Clean Version) 4:02
1.10 Anthrax Bring The Noise 3:32
1.11 3 Doors Down Kryptonite 3:57
1.12 Feeder Buck Rogers 3:14
1.13 Placebo Taste In Men (Radio Edit) 4:01
1.14 Taproot Again And Again 3:59
1.15 VAST I'm Dying 4:11
1.16 My Vitriol Cemented Shoes 3:05
1.17 Rocket From The Crypt On A Rope 2:55
1.18 Less Than Jake All My Best Friends Are Metalheads 3:09
2.01 Korn Make Me Bad (Clean Version)

3:56

2.02 (Hed) P. E. Bartender (Clean Version) 3:55
2.03 Pixies Debaser 2:55
2.04 Creed With Arms Wide Open (New Version) 3:43
2.05 Queenadreena Cold Fish 2:10
2.06 Disturbed Stupify 4:07
2.07 The Union Underground Turn Me On "Mr. Deadman" (Clean Version) 2:42
2.08 One Minute Silence 16 Stone Pig 3:32
2.09 The Suicide Machines I Never Promised You A Rose Garden 2:45
2.10 Bloodhound Gang The Bad Touch (Eiffel 65 Remix) (Radio Edit) 3:41
2.11 Manic Street Preachers Slash 'N' Burn 4:01
2.12 Soulfly Back To The Primitive 4:02
2.13 P.O.D. Bullet The Blue Sky 5:20
2.14 Muse Sunburn 3:35
2.15 Kittie Brackish 3:08
2.16 King Prawn Somebody To Hate 4:17
2.17 Reef Place Your Hands 3:40
2.18 The Presidents Of The United States Of America Video Killed The Radio Star 3:25
2.19 Rage Against The Machine Bullet In The Head 5:07

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The compilation cd's were gold. In them days it was the only way of getting to actually hear a band without spending £17 on a album in Virgin Megastore only to find you didn't like it.

In the 90's if you bought an album for £17 & it was shit you just kept on listening to it until it was good.