F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody amazing GP..

Jenson Button tactics paid off brilliantly, Lots of over taking and dare devil stuff was fun to watch and everything that 2 weeks ago wasnt.

However unless its raining next week its likely to be procession time... again

Credit to Button he did a good job and looked after the car (which Hamilton didn't do hence why he would have probably had to pit anyway with his style of driving).

As much as I love Massa I can't help but feel he slowed Alonso down today, shame Alonso spun on the first corner otherwise he would have been in the run in to win the race.

Hamilton though lost his head in the last few laps and I knew he would probably spin off the track, Alonso knew exactly what he was doing in frustrating Hamilton and had him where he wanted him.

I do love the races when it does rain though, all the better races in recent years has been because of rain on the track.

Loki's point about the turbulent air was exemplified when Lewis did a terrific job of catching Alonso only for him to fail to get anywhere near him. He had a similar problem with Kubica.Best moment of the race was when Schumacher looked to be making a simple move past di Grassi (I think) only for him to come back past him. Legend.

Alguersuari I think it was. Have that Schumacher! He ended up fighting with the Torro Rossos.

Button was awesome - his call to go onto slicks was second perfect and then driving sweetly to save the tyres to the end of the race was sublime. He's not the fastest guy on the grid but it looks like last season wasn't a fluke as some commentators have suggested.

Aah, this Grand Prix has been the main reason for my body clock being severely fucked up this weekend, and the race this morning made it all worthwhile. Fantastic stuff with a bit of rain causing problems at the start and then a truely marvellous decision from Button to stop when he did, it's things like that that make a world champion, and he showed why he was the defending champion today. I initially thought he'd done what happened with Schumacher & Brundle at Spa '92 when Schumacher was overtaken and spotted that Brundle's tyres were destroyed and called for a pitstop that won him the race. Delighted to see him winning today, really made me happy.

Vettel was really unlucky once again today and I just worry that reliability may cost him his shot at the title. The Red Bull looks to be the quickest car, but it's too fragile at the moment.

The pit radio of Hamilton asking how the Ferraris were doing and his reaction to them not needing to stop, followed by the later transmission of him losing it were hysterical, and there was always the chance that he'd end up involved in an incident through trying to overtake.

Anyone who thinks Formula 1 is boring after watching today's race needs their head checking.

• Paid Members

Really good race today. I didn't watch it live and had some stopping and starting issues throughout the recording but managed to avoid hearing the results. Button's drive was great and a brilliant call on the tyres as everyone else seems to have already said. I just LOVED Hamilton's reactions throughout. Even after the race he had the worst forced smile ever saying that the team always does a good job but he's going to find out who's idea it was to bring him in twice when everyone else only stopped once.

I did feel sorry for Webber as (bias aside) I honestly thought it was Hamilton's fault that he ran into the back of him. Hamilton was getting desperate to pass Massa and was taking unneccesary risks. There was sudden breaking on that turn and Webber went into the back of the McLaren. I couldn't see where else Webber was meant to go. And the FIA has given him a caution for it too...

Good drive from Kubica in the Renault too I thought. No-one really said anything about his drive but I thought he fought really hard to come 2nd. Poor finish from Vettel though, I hope Red Bull can sort out the reliability for him. And I'd love to see one of the Virgins finish a race at some point soon too.

I think the whole panic over the boredom of the last race was blown a bit out of proportion. Bahrain is always a boring race anyway. Stuff always happens in Australia but this year it was just lifted that bit more by the weather. I don't think it would have been a procession without the rain though. There was lots of overtaking and incidents without the weather adding to it so I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now. Bring on Malaysia! :)

• Paid Members
I honestly thought it was Hamilton's fault that he ran into the back of him. Hamilton was getting desperate to pass Massa and was taking unneccesary risks. There was sudden breaking on that turn and Webber went into the back of the McLaren. I couldn't see where else Webber was meant to go. And the FIA has given him a caution for it too...

Nah, that was all Webber. He could see both cars in front of him and he was going too fast. It wasn't Hamilton's fault at all, he stopped because Alonso was in front of him, what else was he supposed to do? Webber didn't judge the situation at all.

• Paid Members

Sounds like it was a good GP. Haven't got round to seeing it yet.

On the way back from training today. I had talksport on. During the review of the race the reprter started going on about a driver 'hooning' about on a motorbike. Never caught the drivers name. Apparently the driver in question had his collar felt by the police. Who was it? Please.

• Paid Members
Sounds like it was a good GP. Haven't got round to seeing it yet.

On the way back from training today. I had talksport on. During the review of the race the reprter started going on about a driver 'hooning' about on a motorbike. Never caught the drivers name. Apparently the driver in question had his collar felt by the police. Who was it? Please.

Lewis Hamilton.

Haven't seen the results yet but BBC have really fucked up the coverage by showing it on BBC 1 this morning and then switching mid-race to BBC 2. How fucking stupid is that?

I record on Sky + so for the bloody thing to turn itself off mid-way through the race takes the piss all because of the Sunday Service (fair enough but may as well start the programme on BBC 2 to begin with).

This has really fucked me off as now got to avoid spoilers until the replay catches up with my original recording.

:angry:

It was a bit of a pain, especially for people who either weren't aware of this before the race started and were recording it. Knowing that we'd have to change channel at some point during the coverage, could it not have made more sense to either, as you say, put the entire show on BBC 2 or even show the build up on BBC 1 and then show the entire race on 2.

I think the race was good, but it was lacking that bit of extra excitement that could have been brought with a rain shower. Hamilton gave us some good overtaking during the first few laps as he climbed through the field but things calmed down a bit afterwards. I wasn't a fan of his follow-up to the move on Petrov as he weaved down the pit straight to try and break the tow for Petrov, and if I'm honest, I feel he was lucky to get away with just a warning.

Good to see Red Bull finally deliver though and give a 1-2 result that they deserved. The title race is already going well, the top 5 drivers are separated by only a handful of points. Consistency will be more crucial than ever before for winning the title this year.

• Paid Members

I heard them mention it so when I had to go out, I set the telly to turn over. I is stupid though in this age. Put the church shit on the other side!

Anyway, race was OK. It was really good until Hamilton got stuck behind Sutil, that just about ended the excitement, the rest was pretty dull.

Hamilton is just incredible, he's the best racer on the grid by a mile. The car doesn't allow him to post the lap times on a Saturday though (especially not with the fuck up this weekend). I'm finding the Red Bull dominance really tedious. Hopefully it becomes more competitive over the next few races, though China looks set to be another RB procession.

Unless there is an issue with reliability or weather, whoever makes pole will win comfortably, that's still a bit boring.

Archived