F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
2010 is shaping up to be the best season ever.

1993 and 2003 would beg to differ with you on that one. Heck, if it's as good as 2007 I'd be surprised.

In February, I was more excited for an F1 season than ever before. Obviously, the shiteness of Bahrain has eroded that somewhat. But I maintain that there are 6-8 guys who can push for the title this year. Hopefully, with a little rain and other elements it'll get exciting.

Right now, I call Alonso for champion.

I'm 1/19 of the way there. When I bet on Alonso in February, he was 13-2 to be champion.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit, when I heard about the fewer pitstops thing, I was excited for this season too.

There's a line of thought that if the soft tyres were a bit less soft, there'd be less of an advantage to having them, therefore meaning some teams would have different strategies and it might be a bit more interesting. But a few more races like Bahrain and people will just be turning off in droves.

• Paid Members

Is there any reason for forcing people to use both sets of tyres? Does it matter? Can't we just get the cars on the tyres that suit them best and let the best package of Car/Engine/Tyre/Driver win?

I admit, when I heard about the fewer pitstops thing, I was excited for this season too.

Why? Pitstops have formed a superb part of the game, it can prove excellent tactically. Plus, there's always that bit of excitement when stuff gets set on fire (stuff, not people).

• Paid Members

The no refuelling rule was introduced as a cost-cutting measure. But also, it seems it's been an interest-cutting measure as well. I agree with the thing about tyres though, I don't understand why they're not allowed to use whichever ones they want. If it's for cost then surely they can limit the number of changes in a race but the type they use should be down to the team.

Is there any reason for forcing people to use both sets of tyres? Does it matter? Can't we just get the cars on the tyres that suit them best and let the best package of Car/Engine/Tyre/Driver win?

Why? Pitstops have formed a superb part of the game, it can prove excellent tactically. Plus, there's always that bit of excitement when stuff gets set on fire (stuff, not people).

I disagree, but it's not like I'm going to waste much energy defending myself. I've always been more annoyed with pitstops than I have found them interesting.

In theory pitstops take away from the drama by giving the teams an opportunity to "overtake" or gain position in the pits, rather than on the track, thereby making the drivers less focussed on overtaking in the race.

In practice though, the differences in fuel weight and tyre wear that the drivers on the track have as a result actually meant that you had guys who were seriously faster than the guy in front at least for limited bursts. Now you've got 20 cars with roughly the same fuel on board and roughly the same tire wear all the way through the race.

The result is less overtaking as nobody is faster enough to get by.

If they'd really wanted to fix that problem, why not bring back manual gearboxes and ban all spoilers/diffusers? Make it more likely for them to make an error that will create an opening and make the air behind the car less fucked for those following.

Automated gun turrets on the sides of the track, explosive barriers, mines, spikes. Like Supersurf 11 for all you Chopper fans out there.

I disagree, but it's not like I'm going to waste much energy defending myself.

"Defending"? Who's attacking? I'm genuinely interested in why you don't like them.

Defending my view of Formula 1, I meant. Jesus. Is there any point me spending any more time than I already have elaborating on an idle idea that popped into my head that less pitstops might = more excitement?

• 2 weeks later...
He doesn't like me because I don't condone wifebeating.

Ahahahahahaha

You didn't have a problem with me when you wanted to buy a book I was selling though, did you? You pathetic little prick.

Well, I almost don't want to bring this back on-topic after that jocularity, but this week's GP was really interesting. Lots of different tactics on display, some big crashes, lots of passing and jockeying for position, Formula 1 at its best really. I kinda wish the collision on the penultimate lap had taken out Hamilton, because I dislike his smug tax exile face and the way that he seems the only thing the commentators, presenters and press can comment on.

• Paid Members
You didn't have a problem with me when you wanted to buy a book I was selling though, did you? You pathetic little prick.

I never had a problem with you. I don't know you. I have a view of hitting women that doesn't change, no matter the circumstance. You took offence to that and jumped down my throat for no reason. Though as others have pointed out, you've just been a twat in general lately.

Anyway, that was more like it. Superb race, had all the variables that make for exciting F1. Jenson was incredible throughout, the decision to hit the dry tires earlier was a brilliant one, though appeared to be suicide when he hit the gravel.

Very poor decision to bring Lewis in. You could hear the annoyance in his voice when he asked when the Ferrari's were coming in and the answer was "They don't have to". Vettel was unlucky again but I don't care. Terrific drive from Kubica. How Massa finished third after all the mistakes he made, I don't know. Then again, Vettel's pole lap in qualifying looked as ragged as anything but did the job.

Loki's point about the turbulent air was exemplified when Lewis did a terrific job of catching Alonso only for him to fail to get anywhere near him. He had a similar problem with Kubica.Best moment of the race was when Schumacher looked to be making a simple move past di Grassi (I think) only for him to come back past him. Legend.

Archived